Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How good does it sound with the Exhaust Valves disabled?
How good does the bitch sound at 8000rpm in 3rd?
How good is the snap, crackle and pop between upshifts in Sports mode?
How good are the R-Tronic downshifts?
How good is the longitudinal G's when hard on the brakes?
How good is the balance at 200kph+?
How good is the lateral G's when pulling out of tight 2nd gear corners?

The answer to all of the above?

Fucking Incredible!!! :D

This thing is a LASER GUIDED weapon!! LOVE IT!!!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also...

Yes, you have to rev the guts out of it! 6000rpm -> Cut Out is where the magic is.
Yes, it may lack some HP!

BUT, let's see who's got bigger balls when cornering or braking? YOU or the R8?

This car sticks, stops, growls, snorts and does it with DRAMA! PERIOD!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Again, I am still amazed you are posting here. That's such a sacrifice to keep us up-to-date. Are you just having a hard run-in? or simply ignoring it at all? 8000rpm on a one week old?

Mate, I am jealous. As resonate said "Can't wait" (mine is on the same batch as his)

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have done 750 miles in 3 days - so past the first hurdle to 7000. I am on a major road trip this weekend and I expect to have it run in by Wednesday :)

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did he cut the vacuum lines up near the engine. Or take off the panels to access the valves ?
I'll try and take some photos. But here's an explanation:

1. Look under the rear wheel arches.
2. You will see the vacuum lines for each Exhaust Valve.
3. One under the left hand rear wheel arch and the other on the side.
4. Disconnect them at this point.
5. Place a rubber bung to seal the lines.

And that's it!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Again, I am still amazed you are posting here. That's such a sacrifice to keep us up-to-date. Are you just having a hard run-in? or simply ignoring it at all? 8000rpm on a one week old?

Mate, I am jealous. As resonate said "Can't wait" (mine is on the same batch as his)
I'm doing the same Run-In procedure as they do at Neckarsulm Test Track. Kick it in the BALLS from day one and drive it f**ken hard!! :D

Varying the revs, Varying the Load and Varying the throttle openings.

Just as long as the Oil & Water Temp is warm.

I can honestly feel the bitch getting quicker as it starts to losen up! :D I've already done 600kms in 2 days.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'll try and take some photos. But here's an explanation:

1. Look under the rear wheel arches.
2. You will see the vacuum lines for each Exhaust Valve.
3. One under the left hand rear wheel arch and the other on the side.
4. Disconnect them at this point.
5. Place a rubber bung to seal the lines.

And that's it!
I know what I'm doing Sunday :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well, I got the car up on a ramp today, and you can see the small bore steel pipes rise up each side, onto short hoses, which then go onto nylon tubing.
These tubes re-appear at the back of the engine. I jacked the car up, to drop the suspension, but the hose was really tight and I didn't have any tools to ease it off. I think I'll try and get at the hoses where they attach to the valve, just behind the louvered grill. Another way in at the top, would be to take off the long plastic panels on either side, but you need to take off the engine lid struts too, and the panels also carry the mesh grill and engine bay lights.
Never easy eh?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I got the car up on a ramp today, and you can see the small bore steel pipes rise up each side, onto short hoses, which then go onto nylon tubing.
That's it mate. He disconnected them at this point and placed a rubber bung on each end.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The standard set up means the car goes quiet at town speeds circa 10 mph - 30mph (estimate) for noise pollution regs. If you disable the valves the exhaust is noisey all the time. Crude explination but I hope you know what
I mean.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts