Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, How is this for fare for salary living approx 50 miles North of London?

I have been going back and forth on talks for a position in the UK, I had thought the position would pay much better. I am disappointed in the offer but it is a scary time in the US, a 2 year stay in UK (which everyone says is awesome) with a set position may make up for the lower then expected salary. Also maybe I am blowing the actual cost of living higher than it really is.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Without knowing what the job entails it would be difficult to say exactly but it would work out at around 79.5k PA in the UK tax free.

Whether that is sufficient for your own personal needs only you can decide IMO but to put it into perspective thats approximately the same as list on a new R8

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well as of now I have no property needs to speak of there.

I have been trying to Google places to live from Peterbrough to Cambridge. It is difficult to get a good handle on the prices. I may buy, but would prob rent at least for first 6 months.

I will keep a house here in states but should be no problem renting it out.

Is that salary enough to live well on? I know well is very subjective, but for the area. I typically would like to have a Luxury apartment, but if I have to get a small house in the country and can then afford my R8. I will go with a smaller place. It is just myself and my English Bulldog 'LiL Ike coming.

I have been trying to decide if I should bring my CLK there since the values suck It is about 10-15k upside down. I am not going to just drop that amount into the car at once and get rid of it, to much uncertainy in economy.

·
Registered
175 Posts
What currency will they pay you in ... the £ is only going to get weaker against the Dollar in my opinion ...

·
Registered
108 Posts
I live very close to Cambridge/Peterborough and there is a considerable difference between the 2 areas. Cambridge is more upmarket and renting or buying property is therefore more expensive in Cambridge than Peterborough.

The salary you mentioned is very respectable compared to average UK income (especially as it's tax free) and the figures mentioned should certainly enable a single person who wasn't overtly extravagent to rent reasonable accommodation and probably run an R8

However , an acceptable standard of living is of course entirely subjective and depends upon your own personal requirements and expectations

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well Conker, if the final talks on the nitty gitty details go through and I accept the position, I may contact you for area recommendations. I hear some areas are to be avoided!

Not related to the position but through other connections I will be able to buy on some of the US military bases. From what I understand this in of itself can save money on just the basics of stuff. Since of course you are buying at US $ prices and there is no sales tax for buying on base.

From what I understand some things can't be bought like over here. Such as not the same cereal, and normal over the counter pain medication comes in 16 pill max bottles.

I live very close to Cambridge/Peterborough and there is a considerable difference between the 2 areas. Cambridge is more upmarket and renting or buying property is therefore more expensive in Cambridge than Peterborough.

The salary you mentioned is very respectable compared to average UK income (especially as it's tax free) and the figures mentioned should certainly enable a single person who wasn't overtly extravagent to rent reasonable accommodation and probably run an R8

However , an acceptable standard of living is of course entirely subjective and depends upon your own personal requirements and expectations

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well Conker, if the final talks on the nitty gitty details go through and I accept the position, I may contact you for area recommendations. I hear some areas are to be avoided!
Contact me whenever you like. Some years back we had neighbours who were in exactly your position (a 2 year posting from his company in Rochester) and we became really good friends. He wasn't too happy with the English lifestyle for a while but eventually he settled in so well that he asked if he could extend the contract.

As for areas to be avoided there isn't anywhere in the region that could be considerdd a "NO GO" area but Peterborough is one of the London overspill New Towns which are sprawling/boring whereas Cambridge is the sort of historical/picturesque place which most American folk think of as typical England

BTW if you're considering buying a property here then be prepared for a shock because even in these Credit Crunch times a half decent property in the Cambridge area is still around £350K ($450K):eek:
Perhaps best rent and buy a V10 R8;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts