Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My questions purely regard the drive not aesthetic. How is the V10 different than the V8? Handling? Sound of exhaust/engine? Low end torque? Anything else worthy to consider.

I am looking for qualitative feedback more than quantitative.

I am about to sell my V8 to get the V10. Although I know I should test drive the V10 to answer all of my questions, I don't have the time now. I have no doubt that the V10 will not disappoint as the V8 is already perfect but it's always good to hear others opinion.

Thanks ahead of time.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I never drove a V8 before but I just LOVE the V10. The car WAS made for this engine. If it had been ready at launch, I'll bet Audi would have put it in from the start!

That's how good I think the car is!

I keep the sport shifting on every time I drive. Then there is nothing to complain about with the R-tronic.

I have put the mag. ride on both sport (remember it comes on to sport automatically when you first pust the tranny sport button) and regular...just push the mag. button off after putting the tranny in sport mode....and your rider will feel more comfortable without the added stiffness of the "complete" sport mode.

If I'm along....I usually go "sport" all the way!!!!! (Don't forget I'm use to the virtually endless combos of setup in the M6.....which I DO wish the R8 had a few more of as well.)

I haven't turned off the traction control since it seems it is either off or on! In the M6 there are at least 2 levels of it which helps let the car "dance" a bit more! I wish Audi had an intermediate setting also. I don't want to wreck the car in the first month I have it! :)

HOVY>>>>>>>ENJOY! YOU WILL NOT REGRET THE MOVE!!!!!!!

Steve

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve:

How are you finding the exhaust/engine tone?

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Steve:

How are you finding the exhaust/engine tone?
Truly, I wish the exhaust was more forceful and Gallardo-like! I may need to change the exhaust system some day to get the sound the car deserves.

The engine, from in the ****-pit, sounds terrific. I love it. Magnificent!

I know I'm always comparing the R8 V10 to my V10 M6, but it is the only reference I have.

So....the M6 has a better exhaust sound! But the R8 beats it hands down on the engine sound. (Probably partly because it is sitting right behind your head! :) )

Steve

·
Registered
711 Posts
I haven't floored it yet, but the exhaust note at even moderate acceleration is a completely different beast. Much more howl than growl. And seems to attract even more attention on a busy street than the V8. At 4200 rpm, its and instantaneous thunderclap and wonderful to hear. I would consider an aftermarket exhaust, but mostly for weight saving.

I've driven it in the wet, and generally use the sport mode when its raining. It seems to handle equally as well as the V8, although taking a hairpin in the dry, I sensed a wee bit more understeer. I put this down to the extra fat tyres that I appear to have been given foc.

There is a huge sense of anticipation for the moment when I can open up the taps and floor it. From what I sense at the mo, I would say that you will definitely not be disappointed with the torque:):)

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
The black, rear valence on the V10 looks great. Is it a glossy black like Phantom black or is it a matt finish? If glossy, I suspect the contrasting effect is lost on a Phantom black car. Considering this for my Ice silver V8 with titanium wheels & engine CF. That should do it for me!

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
The black back is very glossy. My dealer didn't know what color it was! They are researching it.

About the exhaust sound.....I am going very easy on the car as it is so new. Maybe when I start running it near red line like the engine is designed to do, I'll have a totally different sound experience! :)

Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Love it, just back on 2000 mile tour. Took 2009 Porsche 911 turbo on similar trip and it beat the hell out of me and noise gets to you after few hours. Ride and power of the v10 are great for curvy roads and interstates (all roads).

Only problem you will have is the unbelievable attention of people driving alongside to take photos. Hard not to be proud.

v10 owner never been in v8 version

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
R84ME mentioned Titanium wheels. Imagine Blacking away the insides. Could really make that Ti. color jump. Sounds lika supercharged V-10 will be stacking up against an electric...soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I never drove a V8 before but I just LOVE the V10. The car WAS made for this engine. If it had been ready at launch, I'll bet Audi would have put it in from the start!

That's how good I think the car is!

I keep the sport shifting on every time I drive. Then there is nothing to complain about with the R-tronic.

I have put the mag. ride on both sport (remember it comes on to sport automatically when you first pust the tranny sport button) and regular...just push the mag. button off after putting the tranny in sport mode....and your rider will feel more comfortable without the added stiffness of the "complete" sport mode.

If I'm along....I usually go "sport" all the way!!!!! (Don't forget I'm use to the virtually endless combos of setup in the M6.....which I DO wish the R8 had a few more of as well.)

I haven't turned off the traction control since it seems it is either off or on! In the M6 there are at least 2 levels of it which helps let the car "dance" a bit more! I wish Audi had an intermediate setting also. I don't want to wreck the car in the first month I have it! :)

HOVY>>>>>>>ENJOY! YOU WILL NOT REGRET THE MOVE!!!!!!!

Steve
Hi, Just to clarify, so you can turn on the sport mode on the gears but not have the stiffness of the ride? How do you do this again? :) We have heavy traffic here and more often I use the a/t mode. Problem is car always jerking. Was hoping to get the sport gear function w/o the stiffness. :)

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Just hit the Sport button (light comes on in button) below the shifter and sport mode for both the tranny (faster shifting...) and stiffer magnetic ride come on.....you will see the light "on" if you look at the mag. control button. So to get that extra ride stiffness off, just hit the mag. button once and you will see the light on the mag. button go out. Then you will have the faster sport tranny and the less stiff mag. ride.

At least that is how I found it to work!

Steve

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Just hit the Sport button (light comes on in button) below the shifter and sport mode for both the tranny (faster shifting...) and stiffer magnetic ride come on.....you will see the light "on" if you look at the mag. control button. So to get that extra ride stiffness off, just hit the mag. button once and you will see the light on the mag. button go out. Then you will have the faster sport tranny and the less stiff mag. ride.

At least that is how I found it to work!

Steve
Interesting ...my '08 V8 does not appear to have a "linkage" between the sport mode and the mag ride. The two buttons seem to operate quite independently.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Interesting ...my '08 V8 does not appear to have a "linkage" between the sport mode and the mag ride. The two buttons seem to operate quite independently.
Interesting.....my '10 also is very independant. Sport button only affects the tranny, I have to also hit the mag button to stiffen up the suspension....

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have 1600 km on mine and find the car absolutely stunning.
I love the power and am intoxicated by the sound. I drive with the windows open all the time just to hear it.
My last car also was an M6 and I agree with Steve. It was way too complicated to get going as you adjusted everything involved with the driving experience. Much happier with the simplicity of the V10, and I also much prefer the sound of the Audi compared to the M6. I got the standard and am extremely pleased that I did.
I got Ibis White with C/F and the black back is a great contrast.
I have never seen any car get the attention this one does. You can go nowhere without people shouting, even cheering, taking pictures. Fun most of the time. I do think the white with c/f is the most stunning of all. A solid black one in town is also beautiful(as are all), but our dealer, when both were on his lot, said the white got a huge amount more attention.
Anyway, the V10 is incredible to drive, but I imagine the V8 is as well.
I have always been a car nut and, when seeing Ferraris, Lamborghinis, etc., in the past, I was always a little envious of those getting to drive such gorgeous cars. Now, in the V10, it is me driving the world's most beautiful car. Wow.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Interesting.....my '10 also is very independant. Sport button only affects the tranny, I have to also hit the mag button to stiffen up the suspension....
Hum....my 2 buttons are definitely linked! The manual doesn't talk about it so I don't know why it happens with my car. YUL...where are you located and what are the last 3 numbers of your VIN. Mine is #546. Maybe they made a program change????

Anyone else have the linkage I have in the V8 or V10?

Steve

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
P.S. kc8, I use the tranny sport mode on all the time. I don't think it can hurt anything but there is no mention in the manual of any limitations on using it!

Steve

P.S.S. wedisbrow....I still plan on keeping my M6. I set it up after a lot of trial and error to the ride quality I wanted. I programed the settings into the "M" button and as soon as I start the car, I hit the "M". Sometimes I cut back to 400HP from the 500 it goes to automatically with the "M", and I occasionally soften the ride a bit with the suspension button. But once it is set up right, the gazillion options the car gives you don't need to interfere with the fun of the ride. I still love the M6....the R8 is just a totally different type of beast! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hum....my 2 buttons are definitely linked! The manual doesn't talk about it so I don't know why it happens with my car. YUL...where are you located and what are the last 3 numbers of your VIN. Mine is #546. Maybe they made a program change????

Anyone else have the linkage I have in the V8 or V10?

Steve
Steve, I am located in Montreal, Canada. Last three numbers are 356. Maybe Canadian spec'd cars have different s/w options????

·
Registered
24 Posts
P.S. kc8, I use the tranny sport mode on all the time. I don't think it can hurt anything but there is no mention in the manual of any limitations on using it!

Steve

P.S.S. wedisbrow....I still plan on keeping my M6. I set it up after a lot of trial and error to the ride quality I wanted. I programed the settings into the "M" button and as soon as I start the car, I hit the "M". Sometimes I cut back to 400HP from the 500 it goes to automatically with the "M", and I occasionally soften the ride a bit with the suspension button. But once it is set up right, the gazillion options the car gives you don't need to interfere with the fun of the ride. I still love the M6....the R8 is just a totally different type of beast! :)
My daily driver is an '08 M5.....problem is, it has been sitting in the garage since I got the R8 about a month ago!!! Seems that my daily driver has been replaced :D Then again, I would probably be better off putting winter tires on my R8 and driving that this winter instead of the M....

But Steve, you are right, this car is a completely different beast!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts