Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone, this is my first post here on the forums and it seems like there are a bunch of good people around here. Let me start off by saying that the R8 is a beautiful car, and audi makes a **** good ride. Having said that, are there things about the R8 that you owners do not like? How does it fair as a daily driver? Finally, how is the space for the driver in regards to legroom. Does the seat lean back reasonably far? ( i am rather tall and space is a pretty important factor in a car) Thanks all!:D

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
not to be arsey, but it's worth giving the search feature a whirl as the daily driver question is a very common one eg:

http://www.r8talk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3193
http://www.r8talk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2333

the main practical considerations are ground clearance, luggage/passenger capacity and the attention it gets, but they're personal questions that you can't really get a forum to answer for you. the car is certainly reliable and easy enough to live with for the daily grind.

the cabin is surprisingly tardis-like with more legroom and headroom than seems possible from the outside, but it's obviously worth trying one in the flesh before making a buy decision if possible where you are.

there are a few gripes that keep coming up, but mostly in relation to specific options eg the red/brown seats not being complimented by matching colour anywhere else in the cabin and similarly the alcantara option only being on the seat middle and not the doorcards.

other issues that raise their head regularly are the smoke on cold start-up and oil consumption.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks for your response. So it appears that for what would be considered an exotic car, it is in fact one of the best daily drivers that can be had. Any tall R8 owners care to comment on the interior size? There has to be something that people dont like about their beautiful R8s :p
Oh and also random bloke, what exactly do you mean by smoke on cold start up. you do mean from the exhaust right, not from some other ridiculous location ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
The foot rest (dead pedal) is higher than it should be. Other than that the interior is great. I'm 6' 1"

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I'm a little larger than average (waist that is...too much beer and pizza last hockey season) and no problems at all fitting in.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I am 6'5" and have plenty of head and leg room for normal use. I can feel the headliner a little if I wear a helmet for the track. It is a little tight (making sure to move the feet out with out hitting the door sil or door) to climb out when you can only open the door to the first (of three) stop. If there is plenty of room to open the door to the second or third stop, then it is easy to get in or out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ah sounds good. Im about 6' 7" give or take an inch and this car looks to be very spacious. so SDR8 you say that the only difficulty with size is when getting in or out? Do the seats go back and also lean back a fairly decent amount?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its amazing how positive people are about this car. For most any other vehicle ask around and the owners will give you a bunch of little gripes, not so with the R8

·
Registered
772 Posts
biggest problem I've had is with the width of the car, it can be a bit tight in some parking bays and as mentioned below difficult to get in and out of the low seats if you cannot open the door much because of the car next to you.

For that reason I stayed clear of the bucket seats.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
yeah, and no matter where the car is parked on a car park it seems to attract people to park next to it - presumably on the belief that you're not likely to ding their car.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
yeah, and no matter where the car is parked on a car park it seems to attract people to park next to it - presumably on the belief that you're not likely to ding their car.
Absolutely agree with randombloke, I park as far as possible from other cars and invariably when I get back I have been surrounded. I was beginning to think Audi had invented a VERY powerful magnetic aluminium ;-)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol thats silly. It seems like u guys are having alot of fun with it. Im glad its a spacious car. I still havent seen one in person! that will be changing very soon though since a trip to the dealer is in order.

·
Registered
518 Posts
lol thats silly. It seems like u guys are having alot of fun with it. Im glad its a spacious car. I still havent seen one in person! that will be changing very soon though since a trip to the dealer is in order.
Pictures do not prepare you for just how wonderful this car looks in the flesh.

I was going to get an Aston Martin until I saw an R8 - it's is beautiful and aggressive all at the same time!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Looks are one thing but its the drive that really sets the R8 apart. Spend a couple of hours in one compared to a 911 or an Aston and you'll be sold.

Ferrari's might be more exciting on a quick blast but try using one daily or for a long drive and also make sure you've got plenty of credit left on your card when you take your F car in for service!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
besides its obvious good looks and craftsmanship, thats really what draws me to it is that from what i hear its very comfortable for a performance car of its caliber, more so than almost all of the competition.
It looks great, drives great and is comfy on top of that? :D its the best of all worlds. Cant wait to go look at one

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Make sure you ask for a ride !! The salesman took me for a ride and then offered to let me test drive it .I declined as I did'nt want to look "ROOKIE' on the Autobahn . And if I had driven it, I probably would have overpaid, right there on the spot. Stuttgart 8-5-'08. :eek: :D :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts