Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am gonna change my spark plugs soon and thinking about getting the NGK ruthenium hx ones. My car is a 2012 V10 and runs fine, only has about 16k miles. But I figured it may be time to change the plugs. What's everyone's favorite? Denso Iridium Power pack?

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
The manual recommends they be changed every 5 years so you've had good service out of your current set. I use NGK platinum in mine.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NGK laser platinum? Currently according to the NGK website, there are 3 types of spark plugs compatible with my car - laser platinum, iridium ix, and ruthenium hx. So confusing!

The manual recommends they be changed every 5 years so you've had good service out of your current set. I use NGK platinum in mine.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
NGK laser platinum? Currently according to the NGK website, there are 3 types of spark plugs compatible with my car - laser platinum, iridium ix, and ruthenium hx. So confusing!
I think that platinum are the 'basic' option and the other two are grades up from there. The prices also go up with each grade too I think. I've used NGK Platinum in other cars as well as my R8 with no issues so am happy to stick with what works.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just replaced my spark plugs and ignition coils. Spark Plug NGK Ruthenium FR7BHX-S were recommended by NGK for better ignitability...
(did that along with carbon cleaning, and replacing injectors, vacuum control valves, one-way valve).
V10 runs much stronger now.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just replaced my spark plugs and ignition coils. Spark Plug NGK Ruthenium FR7BHX-S were recommended by NGK for better ignitability...
(did that along with carbon cleaning, and replacing injectors, vacuum control valves, one-way valve).
That's good to know! Most likely I will get NGK Ruthenium and see if I can feel a difference.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Did you perform this work yourself? You mentioned a better running car afterwards, I wonder if you were having an issue leading to this work?

I have 25K miles on a recently acquired car and am looking into plugs, and considering replacement of the coils, is why I ask. Why did you replace the coils? I assume you replaced with OEM units? I plan to replace the two together, no reason not to.

Your reasoning on the injectors?

I will research these control valves, thanks.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I plan to do plugs, coils, injectors and CC at 35K ish miles. It will also be a 11 year mark on the parts, probably good to change based on age alone.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I plan to do plugs, coils, injectors and CC at 35K ish miles. It will also be a 11 year mark on the parts, probably good to change based on age alone.
was wanting to do the same thing although i dont know about the injector part prob going to stick with the coil and plugs

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
It’s definitely worth doing injectors as there’s micro pitting and corrosion inside from modern day fuel detergents and more ethanol in the blend. I personally wouldn’t go more than 50,000 miles and for a few hundred dollars more and really no more labor you’re already in there if doing the rest.

·
Registered
56 Posts
So what plugs is everyone going to run?

Per NGK's website:

NGK PFR7S8EG claims to be the OE plug, Laser Platinum 55K service interval
NGK FR7BHX-S the new RUTHENIUM
NGK BKR7EIX Iridium IX plug

Have also seen "Ricky-REP" recommend:

Denso IK22 Iridium and replace every 10K miles

Why are we replacing coils? Any reason other than it's a good idea at around 30K miles? Are these coils widely used successfully in other Audi applications?

Anyone care to point out where to they are sourcing coils or injectors, interested to see what people are using.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You are absolutely right that Ricky was recommending Denso IK22 with the heat range of 22, which is similar to NGK's 7. I think there is no wrong choice here. I am curious about the coils as well. I am at 16k so most likely they won't need to be replaced, but who knows as my car is almost 10 years old.

Per NGK's website:

Why are we replacing coils? Any reason other than it's a good idea at around 30K miles? Are these coils widely used successfully in other Audi applications?

Anyone care to point out where to they are sourcing coils or injectors, interested to see what people are using.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also, the pre-gap size is universally 0.032 inches for NGK and 0.8mm for Denso (0.0314 inches). Do people adjust them at all?

·
Registered
14 Posts

Per NGK's website:

Thanks
Coil 06e905115G is cheap. Logical thing to do at 28K mile and a 10 year old R8. I went the NGK Ruthenium route.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It’s definitely worth doing injectors as there’s micro pitting and corrosion inside from modern day fuel detergents and more ethanol in the blend. I personally wouldn’t go more than 50,000 miles and for a few hundred dollars more and really no more labor you’re already in there if doing the rest.
100% agree.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you perform this work yourself? You mentioned a better running car afterwards, I wonder if you were having an issue leading to this work?

I have 25K miles on a recently acquired car and am looking into plugs, and considering replacement of the coils, is why I ask. Why did you replace the coils? I assume you replaced with OEM units? I plan to replace the two together, no reason not to.

Your reasoning on the injectors?

I will research these control valves, thanks.
My spring time project. I do all the work myself waiting for Michigan weather to warm up :). The valves are reasonably priced at FCP Euro... One check valve was defective and had to be replaced by an aftermarket valve. There was no available replacement in the US.

·
Registered
646 Posts
what kind of injectors did you go with? having a hard time finding replacement kit
thx

·
Registered
56 Posts
Also, the pre-gap size is universally 0.032 inches for NGK and 0.8mm for Denso (0.0314 inches). Do people adjust them at all?
No way I am touching the gap on these plugs, one forum member back in the past lost an engine because he dropped a tip off an oem plug, the reason I am personally concerned with immediate replacement. I was taught to not attempt gap on any type of "custom core" plug like iridium.

·
Registered
14 Posts
what kind of injectors did you go with? having a hard time finding replacement kit
thx
Replaced the injectors with 079906036AD (originals were 079906036G). Few revisions later ...
Also replaced the fuel injector clips with 06D133036K (a bit of a design difference from the originals 06D133036H)

·
Registered
14 Posts
No way I am touching the gap on these plugs, one forum member back in the past lost an engine because he dropped a tip off an oem plug, the reason I am personally concerned with immediate replacement. I was taught to not attempt gap on any type of "custom core" plug like iridium.
they come pre-gapped. I would NOT adjust them as you may break off the tip!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts