Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
the rattle at low rev/idle seems to have no cure...except turning up the music.

·
Registered
100 Posts
No need to turn up the music. As part of a group test we recently published we have been recording the sounds of our favourite cars and we recorded a lovely one of the R8 under full throttle. I placed the microphone inside the engine bay and it sounds like a refugee from Le Mans (circa 1966).

Just stick the mp3 on your SD card and you'll never hear rattles ever again..:D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Is anyone experiencing a rattling noise at idle in the rear of the R-8?
If so, what is the cause and cure?
I have the same problem, in my case seams to be the left exhaust but only in idle an always when the engine is cold and when it stays at 1400-1500rpm when I start the engine, then it go away when I start moving!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have 2 rattling noise. The first one sounds like something is loose and can be heard on rough road. Second one is like the rattling noise that you hear when the car is not enough power in the hihger gear at low engine speed. I know it's kind of normal when the car is laboring but it is worst than normal. Again and of course, the dealer found "nothing wrong" so far.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I have 2 rattling noise. The first one sounds like something is loose and can be heard on rough road. Second one is like the rattling noise that you hear when the car is not enough power in the hihger gear at low engine speed. I know it's kind of normal when the car is laboring but it is worst than normal. Again and of course, the dealer found "nothing wrong" so far.
I had a rattle similar to the first one described (rattle/vibration on rough surfaces). It seemed to come from the passenger side of the car. Two weeks ago I had the original blades replaced with new Carbon fiber ones ...that rattle has gone (and my car looks great :D )

·
Registered
65 Posts
My problem was detected... Left exhaust mufler is damaged, interior is not held enough inside and it ratles at cold starts and at 1000-1500rpm.

My R8 dealer (not my conventional Audi dealer) found this when doing the Audi service calls when they had to remove the rear bumper, and when it starts to do the noise they put an hand on the muffler just to feel the vibration and it stopped doing the noise!

Complete new exhaust is allready here, but only going to install it in 2 or 3 weeks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a weird noise coming from the rear (I think!... hard to tell); not a rattle or a squeak but like a stone inside a bottle (if you can imaging that!). It's faint but really annoying! The grinding sound at low speed that many people comment on in these posts (if you have R-tronic) is the clutch being partially engaged, and slipping, as the computer tries to hold a higher gear.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
My problem was detected... Left exhaust mufler is damaged, interior is not held enough inside and it ratles at cold starts and at 1000-1500rpm.

My R8 dealer (not my conventional Audi dealer) found this when doing the Audi service calls when they had to remove the rear bumper, and when it starts to do the noise they put an hand on the muffler just to feel the vibration and it stopped doing the noise!

Complete new exhaust is allready here, but only going to install it in 2 or 3 weeks.
same diagnosis on my car by Audi..new muffler setup is on its way.

·
Registered
31 Posts
:
I have a weird noise coming from the rear (I think!... hard to tell); not a rattle or a squeak but like a stone inside a bottle (if you can imaging that!). It's faint but really annoying! The grinding sound at low speed that many people comment on in these posts (if you have R-tronic) is the clutch being partially engaged, and slipping, as the computer tries to hold a higher gear.

If this noise is only evident at idle (and louder when the oil is at operating temp.), then there is a chance that this is coming from the sump of the engine. It is more audible from the LHR of the car and does sound like a very faint, irregular rattle. This is due to the dry sump design.....there are scavenge noises as well as oil being flung around inside the crankcase.

Not saying this is the cause of your noise as I have not heard it, but this is common to the R8. :)

Hope this was of some help.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Mine makes a faint PERCOLATING sound at Idle.Not a stone bouncing around...More like the sump situation mentioned.I don't care for this sound and will have it diagnosed at 10K service, which will be in another month or two.:confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts