Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys, I really want to discuss the topic of R-Tronic in depth. However, before we continue I think it's important to understand that Robotised Manuals should never be evaluated in AUTO mode (Gearbox wasn't designed for this IMO). Also, R-Tronic, SMG, E-Gear etc will shift differently based on the following:

1. Sports Button On/Off
2. Throttle Position
3. RPM

4. Vehicle Angle

Now, I have never driven a Lambo E-Gear or R-Tronic, BUT I drive an M3 SMG everyday and have driven a F360 Sequential, M5 SMG & M6 SMG on a few occasions.
In my experience I have made the following observations:

1. M3 SMG has a 6 setting Shift Program. R8 has Sports On/Off. Shift times on the M3 vary greatly between these settings. D1 being slow and gradual whilst D6 is the fastest.

2. RPM plays an important role. Gearchanges in the LOW RPM range occur slower than changes in the HIGHER RPM range. Regardless of your Shift Program.

3. Vehicle Angle - If driving up a steep incline, the shifts happen very fast to avoid vehicle rolling back during changes.

4. Throttle Position - Also changes the shift time and feel.

The reason why I am saying this is, when evaluating the R-Tronic, please take note of these 4 key-points.

It's misleading to say "Yeah, the R-Tronic shifts too fast!" - Well, what RPM? what Throttle Position? Was Sports On or Off?
It's also misleading to say "Yeah, the R-Tronic is too slow!" Was that in Auto Mode or Manual? What RPM? Was Sports On or Off? Was it on WOT?

My point is, the R-Tronic, SMG, E-Gear and CambioCorsa are all very complex pieces of kit. Therefore, when evaluating please take note of the 4 Key Points mentioned above. This will help us evaluate the R-Tronic more effectively and eliminate any confusion.

I hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good to see, I'm also a S2000 owner. One of the aspects (maybe the best aspect of the S2000) is its shifter.

Before this month I had not turned a wheel in a SMG equiped car. This month I did a driving event where I get the chance to drive an e-gear Gallardo and a F1 F430.

I was impressed by both. I only drove with the Manual mode so I can not say anything about the auto-mode.

HOWEVER, as you say or many people say, the auto-mode is the weak link. I think, maybe I'm wrong, but maybe the SMGs are the wrong-tech. I have driven one car with a DSG (dual clutch) auto-manual it was a 07 GTi and that tranny makes the car stand out. I almost bought the car just to get at the tranny. I can't help but wonder when we'll see them in M3s, R8s, 911s etc.. as far as the eye can see. Because if people want a auto-shifting manual that can also shift almost as quick as a SMG the dual clutch is on the rise.

I think (?) I don't know it's like beta vs VSH or Digital tape vs CDs. when we are talking about SMGs vs Dual Clutch (DSG). I think looking back in 20 years we may see a 10 year period where companies were trying to make SMGs work (just like digital audio tapes in the past) but the real deal may be the DSG (ie CD) which will eventually take over from both full auto-trannys and robot-manual trannies.

IMO.

IMO, the SMGs do a great job of shifting most of the time but left in auto as you say they muddle it up or aren't good at sedate driving. I don't know I have not driven them in auto mode. But the DSG is the best of both worlds. It's as smooth as a auto-tranny when in auto and when in manual it shifts super-quick and smooth.

I'm not saying r-tronic will be bad or is bad. But I don't know about spending $9K if it's poor in auto mode. I expect all around greatness. If it's going to be 80% great 20% poor, I don't know? I'd just as soon save the money and get a old fashoned three-pedal tranny (so long as it's nice shifting which the R8 is reported to be).

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rai, you are correct. If you are buying the R-Tronic and will be using it in Auto Mode most of the time, I think you are making a mistake.

But, if it's anything like the BMW SMG system, once it's mastered, the shifts are HARD and FAST. I can even heel and toe with it! Another misconception is with SMG etc, you can't hold gears on the red-line when approaching corners etc. This is NOT the case. You are in full control of the gearbox. I've held 7800 RPM in my M3 regularly with no problems.

Yes, I agree, DSG is definately the best of both worlds. All I know is my SMG M3 on Shift Program 6 with DSC off, really shifts hard, chirps through 3 gears and makes some serious noises when doing so.

Like I said, R-Tronic, SMG etc is not for everyone. I like cars that shift hard and fast but also give me a break in traffic since there's no clutch. Noises & Clunks don't really bother me. I hope the R-Tronic in Sport Mode shifts hard!!! I think it will, I saw an R-Tronic launch at Neckarsulm test track and it shifted **** hard.

·
Registered
367 Posts
No more feedback from anyone?

I'm particularly interested in the performance of the R-tronic's full throttle kickdown characteristics. I have to admit I'm a kickdown junky with my turbo tip, cruising sedately in 4th or 5th, seeing an opening, tranny kicks down 3 gears and I'm GONE. I know the R-tronic will shift down at least 2 gears with the paddles (like the tip's rocker switch) but will it AUTOMATICALLY give you more?

By the way, this is one characteristic the dual clutch trannies CANNOT match. They have to cycle up and down through EVERY gear!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts