Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I'm new here and just bought an R8 black exterior, black leather, black sideblade, used (I didn't want to wait months for the car, and is cheaper also!) with 6 months and 9000km from germany (I'm from Portugal) and I will post pics tomorrow.

I have a question for you guys about the R-tronic functionality.
I noticed that when in reverse I need to give more throttle to move the car than to move to front, now my question is, to start from a stand still on a slope how much throttle do you guys usually give? 20%, 50%?

My house is on a street with 12% slope (one of the front wheel is 15cm on the air!!!), and to enter to the garage I need to stop, and to start moving I need to give too many throttle (70%), I think, and the car don't move some times! I think its the clutch not engaging, because even starting on the beginning of the street all the way up the car don't moves any quicker, but if I continue even further on the way up, it then engages and accelerate as hell!!

I'm asking this because I'm getting used to the car and wants to know how to drive it, and I'm still waiting for the user manuals in Portuguese.

PS: Before I have the car I was on the Audi sport driving experience for 2 times, so I think I know the car dynamics a little bit, but not all.

Thanks
:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Gearbox type
R tronic sequential manual gearbox

Gear ratio in 1st gear / 2nd gear
4.373 / 2.709

Gear ratio in 3rd gear / 4th gear
1.878 / 1.411

Gear ratio in 5th gear / 6th gear
1.126 / 0.928

Reverse gear / final drive ratio
3.713 / 3.462

I think given the ratio, reverse(3.713) will need slightly more power than 1st gear(4.373). Maybe... My 993 911 was pain in the a$$ when put in reverse because reverse had same ratio of 2nd gear. Every now and then I stalled the engine on that thing going backward..

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Did you spec hill hold assist?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Been a month now in one of Audi UK's R-Tronics and I also have to apply significantly more throttle in reverse gear, than in first. Th car doesn't have hold assist and therefore will roll back down a hill in first gear (no throttle).

R-Tronic takes some getting used to in order to get smooth changes, and 1st-2nd is still difficult to get nice.

I have to say I will be glad to get my manual back.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you spec hill hold assist?
I forgot to say, yes I have! I also have another Audi and Mercedes with hold assist and they have an total different behavior in that situation, thats why I'm asking,and to see if I'm doing, or is something wrong with car!
First time I entered to the garage, it smelled a bit of fried clutch!! only the first time...

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
The hill hold assist does seem to require more revs to disengage than on other cars that have a roll-back aid for their sequential manuals (eg the bmw m6) - also the r-tronic really doesn't seem to handle low speed creeping smoothly.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's worrying me is the fact that to start moving in first gear on my street the car rev's up to 5000-6000rpm!!! I hope not damaging my clutch or something else!

And imagine my neighbors earing me each time I arrive home! LOL

·
Registered
347 Posts
5000rpm is excessive. doesn't sound normal. my hill-hold assist would disengage at 2000-ish on the steepest hill.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
5000rpm is excessive. doesn't sound normal. my hill-hold assist would disengage at 2000-ish on the steepest hill.
Yes, to me also! It starts to move at 2000 or something like that but even if I give more throttle it doesn't move any faster! I have to do 100m at 2-5km/h and with the engine at 4000 or more rpm!!

PS: Remember that I'm talking about a 12% hill

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
What's worrying me is the fact that to start moving in first gear on my street the car rev's up to 5000-6000rpm!!! I hope not damaging my clutch or something else!

And imagine my neighbors earing me each time I arrive home! LOL
That is abnormal. On my car the clutch engages at quite low revs (under 2000). Although it requires a bit of a "boost" to overcome the hill hold assist it doesn't seem abnormal. I will go out and test it a bit later today and let you know.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yes, to me also! It starts to move at 2000 or something like that but even if I give more throttle it doesn't move any faster! I have to do 100m at 2-5km/h and with the engine at 4000 or more rpm!!

PS: Remember that I'm talking about a 12% hill
When the R-Tronic gearbox is in reverse, the speed of the car and revs are limited by the computer. No matter how much throttle you give, the car will not move any faster.

Just apply the throttle with consisten pressure, don't feather it and let the computer do the rest.

Same deal with low speed creeping. Apply consistent pressure on the throttle and DON'T feather it. The computer will do the rest. I suggest you practice in carparks etc.

Once you've mastered it, it's all good!

·
Registered
172 Posts
When the R-Tronic gearbox is in reverse, the speed of the car and revs are limited by the computer. No matter how much throttle you give, the car will not move any faster.

Just apply the throttle with consisten pressure, don't feather it and let the computer do the rest.

Same deal with low speed creeping. Apply consistent pressure on the throttle and DON'T feather it. The computer will do the rest. I suggest you practice in carparks etc.

Once you've mastered it, it's all good!

I noticed that too the best way to deal with the r-tronic in first is to keep consistent presure once u feel the clutch is fully disengaged then u give it gas...it takes practice but u'll get used to it :p

·
Registered
156 Posts
but the car not moving until 5-6k rpm, is abnormal no matter how steep your road is. definitely get it checked out..

like people have said, the clutch should bite down around 2k...
good luck

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
As promised I checked my car's rtronic behavior yesterday:

On level surface the clutch bites at about 1000-1200 rpm both in 1st gear and in reverse. On my sloped driveway the hill hold assist disengaged as soon as the clutch had bitten ...about 1200 rpm.

·
Registered
367 Posts
My house is on a street with 12% slope (one of the front wheel is 15cm on the air!!!), and to enter to the garage I need to stop, and to start moving I need to give too many throttle (70%), I think, and the car don't move some times!
I can smell your clutch burning all the way over here!
Seriously, I'd reevaluate how you're parking your car. The full stop is killing you, and if that maneuver is the only way to handle it, you might have bought the wrong transmission!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I know this might sound weird but try putting it in sport mode and go up the hill see if that helps the clutch disengage at a lower RPM, the reason im saying this is sport mode is more agrassive so it wont let the clutch slip as much......its worth a try :p

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know this might sound weird but try putting it in sport mode and go up the hill see if that helps the clutch disengage at a lower RPM, the reason im saying this is sport mode is more agrassive so it wont let the clutch slip as much......its worth a try :p
I tryed that already, but after all, its a matter of use, Now I'm used to it, I have to be hard to the throttle so it engage faster, doing a faster movement with the foot, it all goes well ;)

PS: I said that it smelled fried clutch but it was only once, the first time I parked the car!

Everything ok now, thanks guys.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts