Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Just as a comparison I had same problems with Gallardo and I decided then that my future car can be only manual or automatic. Sequential manuals are simply said not reliable enough-my firend who owns F430F1 also experienced problems...

I do not have enough experience with DSG stlye gearboxes but, it should be reliable if you do not abuse it too much(for example I apparently overheated DSG on Golf GTI on spirited track drive, after only two laps! Even brake did not fade yet...).

BTW, any pics of your interior with special stitching?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Well, the good news is that it's probably only an electronic malfunction with a sensor or switch. Audi is notorious for such problems, and it seems the R8 is going to be no exception.

They build cars with wonderful mechanicals, strong design, and superb interiors. But they cannot get their hands on reliable electronic components to save their lives.

I picked up my car on January 3, and it's already had a solenoid failure in a damper, an engine relay failure, and a brake sensor switch failure. I had a 2002 A6 and a 2003 S6 which were plagued with chronic electronic failures, to the point that I got rid of both cars within a year because of constant shop visits.

I talked to several service techs at several dealerships before taking a risk on an R8. They all told me that Audi had licked these problems, that warranty costs had dropped by more than 40% since 2003 due largely to reduced electronic failures, yada, yada, yada . . . . I was obviously sold a line.

Audi sources their OnStar system from GM (which caused the problems in my earlier cars), and they source their magnetic ride technology from GM (which is the source of one of my current problems). GM beats the **** out of their suppliers, and they consequently get parts with high failure rates. I have an uneasy feeling that a lot of Audi electronic componentry comes out of the GM pipeline. If so, they're making a serious mistake that is going to hamper their pursuit of premium car status.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's a faulty "O" ring in a pressure sensing unit. Audi are aware of it.
It's my fourth Audi and the first problem I've had in over 200,000 miles. I suppose there's good and bad in all, I won't be "jumping ship" just yet though...

Andy M

·
Registered
92 Posts
If it's the same as my R Tronic sensor problem it's not electronic! It's a faulty "O" ring within a pressure sensor...
Mine's perfect now. Once you get used to the box it's superb! Can't resist changing down for no reason :D

·
Registered
340 Posts
Oh, well. I don't know whether this makes me feel better or not.
This is a good one. I was in the negative. This restores it close to zero but is in no way in the positive.

Mechanically, it appears that Audi has not reached Porsche's level. This is the difference between very good and excellent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep - same thing happened to mine.
The faulty O-Ring was a badly manufactured batch (according to Audi). There will be a wait as they source the part from Germany, but it's a known issue with a known solution that seems to work fine (the day after I got my car back it went to Tasmania for a fun, 1,500km week - with no issues)

The car is at the office at the moment, but I'll PM you and Tanarg my VIN. I'd be interested to see if they are similar perhaps to help identify an affected manufacturing date?

James

·
Registered
79 Posts
I got the same message today !!

Taking it to the dealer 2omorow.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Just got a gearbox warning, pulled over and shut down. Car would not restart. R-Tronic warning. Now it's on the back of a truck heading back to Audi.

Looks like same problem as Tanarg. More updates soon....

:(
Sorry to hear..hope you are on the road again soon!

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi guys,

lets bump up this thread

i have a 2008 R8 R-Tronic. had the gearbox malfunction okay to drive warning light come on my car a few times. took the car to get inspected and have been told the error message diagnosed a faulty hydraulic actuator. any one here receive that message before? what did it cost to fix?

any advice?

EDIT: car currently has 23000kms. I've owned it for the last 10 months and it had 17000kms when i got it

·
Vendor
3,499 Posts
hi guys,

lets bump up this thread

i have a 2008 R8 R-Tronic. had the gearbox malfunction okay to drive warning light come on my car a few times. took the car to get inspected and have been told the error message diagnosed a faulty hydraulic actuator. any one here receive that message before? what did it cost to fix?

any advice?

EDIT: car currently has 23000kms. I've owned it for the last 10 months and it had 17000kms when i got it

Please email us. We can help with saving you money. We ship to Aus every week.
We also recommend that you check the pump, punp motor and relay. The pressure accumulator should also be ideally changed at the same time.

Please send you ViN details to us: [email protected]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Guys,

Have an issue.... Came up last night when driving Gear Box Malfunction for the R tronic so I pulled over as this has happened once or twice before and usually I can just turn the car off and back on an its fine. However this time I tried to start the car and it will not start at all!

R Tronic shows its in Neutral, but when tow truck arrived it was actually in gear...not neutral, even thought it showed N on the display!

So cut the 4 hour story short, the only way to get the car on the tow truck was using dollies on the rear wheels.

Apparently there is no way from what I have seen to unlock the gear back into neutral without taking it to a service centre.

Has anyone else had an experience like this, and would know the cause?
The cars done around 60k not a lot of driving.

Only just had the gearbox checked and software updated!

Not overly impressed that the car pretty much turns into a giant paper weight....

This appears to be an issue with the R tronic, is there a way to actually get the car back in neutral or is the only option to get the car put onto a tow truck with dollies.... ?
I tried everything I could think of before calling tow company with no luck. As I said shows N for the R tronic but its still in gear.....

Luckily It was pretty late and I could pull off the road, I would hate to be in congested traffic and have it happen as it would be impossible to even move the car, even push it!

What I can't figure out is, with the electronics why would it not be set to go into "Neutral" if it senses a fault? Why stay in a gear! Seems like a major flaw in the system to me.

This is the first Audi I have had...and I am thinking the last. I have never had a car completely shut down and not be able to move it...Thats just crazy.

Maybe a shift back to Merc or BMW... I am getting too old for hassles like this.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts