Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Accelerating up the gears through 3rd, then flicking into 4th but on a trailing throttle (just to cruise along in this higher gear), car comes out of 3rd but does not immediately engage 4th, engine revs fall to just above idle before R-tronic computer finally engages the gear.

* Immediately coming off throttle from 3rd to 4th appears to confuse R-tronic; gear does not select until revs fall near to engine idle RPM.

Worst 3rd to 4th, but can happen 4th to 5th, and higher.

Anyone else having this problem?

Note: I just got car back from Audi dealer here in Hong Kong. They said nothing wrong with R-tronic but they updated ECU and R-tronic software. Driving off in 1st gear much better, and 1st-2nd change is now acceptably smooth. But this 3rd-4th problem still there, although it engages earlier than before.

Descending a hill (used to always want to change to lowest gear), decelerating to a stop (R-tronic would "soft change" down as you slowed, making smooth stops virtually impossible without knocking the lever into N), all MUCH better.

I wish Audi would tell their customers when something this significant happens!

Previously, it was like someone who just passed their driving test was changing gears for you!

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Not on mine, sounds as if you have a problem with the gearbox or software. If you leave it in auto does it still do it? Have you tried both the paddles and the lever. if you don't do 3-4 on a trailing throttle does it change normally? T-tronic will ignore up and downshifts if it can't avoid 'hunting' or it will over-rev so it could be a throttle sensor position indicator - Did you ask the dealer about any error codes on the sensors?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Accelerating up the gears through 3rd, then flicking into 4th but on a trailing throttle (just to cruise along in this higher gear), car comes out of 3rd but does not immediately engage 4th, engine revs fall to just above idle before R-tronic computer finally engages the gear.

* Immediately coming off throttle from 3rd to 4th appears to confuse R-tronic; gear does not select until revs fall near to engine idle RPM.

Note: I just got car back from Audi dealer here in Hong Kong. They said nothing wrong with R-tronic but they updated ECU and R-tronic software. Driving off in 1st gear much better, and 1st-2nd change is now acceptably smooth. But this 3rd-4th problem still there, although it engages earlier than before.

Descending a hill (used to always want to change to lowest gear), decelerating to a stop (R-tronic would "soft change" down as you slowed, making smooth stops virtually impossible without knocking the lever into N), all MUCH better.

Previously, it was like someone who just passed their driving test was changing gears for you!

Yes, this does happen intermittently only in 4, 5 or 6th.
Basically the computer is expecting throttle input when changing from 3rd to 4th.

I suggest you change your driving style, whenever changing gears in the R-Tronic ensure there is Brake or Throttle input. This will ensure the ECU knows what your are doing and the problem does not occur.

So, next time hold a bit of throttle into 3-4th shift then back off and coast.
Will be smooth as silk...

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Audi seems to think the vehicle should get into 6th gear as soon as possible,probably to push the MPG figures up. I personally don't like to lug any engine at anytime. I haven't experienced what you are,and I have the R-Tronik too. Always in a sport mode and in the above 4,000 RPM range. Some say the R8 is the perfect track car so I tend to drive her exactly like that. :)

·
Registered
761 Posts
It takes a bit of time to adjust to the R-Tronik tranny I have to say. It was easy for me as it's essentially BMW's SMGII but much smoother at low speed. Bz888 can confirm.

Like Bz888 said: Adjust your driving style by holding a bit more throttle.

It's really a matter of practice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
DeeRun,
I have exactly the same issue with my car and decided to let the dealer look at it to see if there was a software issue or it was just a characteristic of the R-Tronic. I have just picked it up this morning and the car has been thoroughly checked out and it is definitely just the way it is set up............so I just need to learn how to drive it properly now!
In reality it is not an issue but I just wanted to make sure there was nothing at fault (apart from me).

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
I've tried to replicate this a couple of times and I can't get mine to do it? Does it just happen on max revs upshift to 4th with a simultaneous cut in throttle? Max revs in third is 98 MPH??

·
Registered
7 Posts
ianerrid,

When you are accelerating and changing up and then continuing to accelerate it is absolutely fine. The intermittent issue is felt when you are accelerating in stop/start driving conditions. By way of example, assume you are accelerating moderately in traffic and changing up at say 4000 rpm and then have to stop accelerating and you do not reapply the gas pedal after the gearchange has occurred. Most of the time you can feel the clutch engaging in the next gear at say 2500/2750 rpm BUT, occassionally on the upshift from 3rd to 4th it will drop to just above idle and then suddenly jerk back to 2500 ish rpm and then obviously drop back towards idle again if you didn't reapply the gas pedal. Like I said earlier in the thread, it isn't a big issue but odd that (a) it is only intermittent and (b) only occurs on the 3rd to 4th gear upshift.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
OK, I'll try mine again today to see if I can replicate...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Andig is experiencing exactly the same thing I'm talking about... At least mine is not the only car doing this! It happens in auto and manual. Still happening after the ECU and R-tronic update I mentioned earlier. If you just come off the throttle fully, slight before changing gear, and stay off the throttle, the rev's will fall to idle before the computer abruptly engages the clutch and the engine spins back up to meet the gearbox's rev's. It's obviously not intended behaviour.

One should not have to adjust driving style in a car being touted as cutting edge.. and it should do what you want it to do; if you change gear, the clutch should disengage, change ratio, engage; no matter where you are on the throttle, brakes, etc.

Another thing for all you race drivers out there. You cannot left foot brake with R-tronic. The ECU will cut power. Kick-down is also very annoying on track days when you want to accelerate hard out of corners... it will drop ratios right in the middle of a corner! Of course you can "adjust your driving to suit", but this is a computer controlled box; they could at least give you a simple option to disengage kick-down when you're in Sport mode.

I know a lot of people have strong views on R-tronic, but IMO it's rubbis. At a recent Audi track day at Zhuhai circuit, their tech's basically admitted this, and hinted that DSG is on the way. Frankly, if they have a DSG box that can handle Veyron power within the Group (and I always considered my R8 a baby-Veyron!) they should get Ricardo to make one for an R8, v8 or v10!

·
Registered
761 Posts
One should not have to adjust driving style in a car being touted as cutting edge.. and it should do what you want it to do; if you change gear, the clutch should disengage, change ratio, engage; no matter where you are on the throttle, brakes, etc.
I agree that driving style should not be the solution.

I got used to the R-Tronic system with the SMG on my first car (M3), I must admit that sometimes it's pain in the ***.

If DSG is really going to be fitted on the R8, then it will be a good enough reason for me to buy a new R8. I test drove my buddie's VW Golf GTI with DSG 2 years ago and God it was fantastic; imperceptible gear changes and straight forward practicality.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Even in my video you will notice a clip where the car downshifted when I mashed the throttle a bit too fast/hard. It was an UNWANTED shift. So unwanted that you will notice I was pissed off and my driving slowed a bit I was so pissed. How do I avoid this in the future? Leave the ESP off?? So far this is the only problem I have experienced. Likely I am driving on a circuit ( my street) that is just a little too tight! A normal track probably does't have as tight a turns as I am used to . Track days are in my dreams. My buddie with Gallardo likes for us to race Angeles Crest (Highway 2) .But I just can't get comfortable chancing going off a cliff at high speeds. I have already done that on my Yamaha R.D. motorcycle (obviously I survived).and I don't want to go there again.(Verdugo Hospital):)

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
harrison! What's your insurance man going to say about driving like that?;)

·
Registered
761 Posts
The solution is S-Tronic (audi's dsg). It is inevitable that it will fitted on the R8 eventually. Porsche is making the switch with their PDK, BMW with their DCT. Even Benz has some sort of wet clutch that emulates a DSG while not being a real DSG (something like that :confused:).

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Having been a long time shareholder in the company (BWA)...until recently!..., I know that VW's DSG was developed and is supplied by good old American Borg-Warner, the leader in the field of dual clutch automated gearboxes (as well as a leader in awd systems and other automotive emerging technologies); I'm not sure who else uses it...some of the companies may be building theirs under license because I think BWA has some key patents on the concept. Wouldn't surprise me if some of the big guys like D. Benz would try to do their own.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Having been a long time shareholder in the company (BWA)...until recently!..., I know that VW's DSG was developed and is supplied by good old American Borg-Warner, the leader in the field of dual clutch automated gearboxes (as well as a leader in awd systems and other automotive emerging technologies); I'm not sure who else uses it...some of the companies may be building theirs under license because I think BWA has some key patents on the concept. Wouldn't surprise me if some of the big guys like D. Benz would try to do their own.
Could Benz's MCT be a preliminary version of their potential future DSG?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm told it won't be based on current S-tronic because it can't handle the high torque and it's a transverse layout. Ricardo make the mega-DSG box for the Veyron. http://www.gizmag.com/go/4909/ At least we know someone knows how to make a longitudinal box that can handle R8 torque! If Audi do this, then like HovyR8, I'm buying a V10 R8!

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts

I've tried this every which way and on my car it just changes up normally evry single time. I think it is a fault myself and I wouldn't get fobbed off by the dealer until it was fixed...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts