Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

I am looking into getting an R8 and just want to clear out one question before going to the Audi center next week.

It is about the R-Tronic system.

Basically - when you are in Manual mode (semi auto) and you hit 8'000rpm does it shift automatically or does it stay in gear at the rev limiter??:confused:

or is it like other audi automatics with the tiptronic system that shift for you near the rev limiter??:(

This will influence if I will choose to go for the manual or for the r-tronic.:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
How about when I come fast to traffic lights (example with fift gear) and forgot to shift smaller a) does it shift automatically to right gear if Im going 5 miles per hour b) I am manually shifting from the fift and the right gear would be 2, does it jump 5 -> 2 like example Merc's 'automatic manual' does?

·
Registered
172 Posts
when it comes to down shifting the car will down shift for u when necessary but it will only shift to the lowest gear that will sustain the car ( I dont know if that made sense ) as in if u were going 120kmh and say slowed down to 50kmh it will automaticly shift from 6th to 4th.......unless u stop or crawl then it will go down to 2nd or 1st, and as for the up shift say ur going 70 and ar in 5th and u want to punch it the car will hold gear unless u hit the button in the accelerator ( like the merc or BMW ) then it will select the appropriate gear 2nd in this case and go from there....... the car will NOT upshift in manual mode even if sport is turned off, the only way it will up shift for u is if u put it in auto mode ( which realy suck and shouldnt be used anyways )......hope that clears things abit :p

·
Registered
172 Posts
one more thing in regular manual mode the car redlines at 7,850 but once u switch on the sport button the redline is moved up to 8,250

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot for the answers!!!

this really makes it clear now :D I will be getting the R-Tronic is that case :D

awesome thanks again

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
when it comes to down shifting the car will down shift for u when necessary but it will only shift to the lowest gear that will sustain the car ( I dont know if that made sense ) as in if u were going 120kmh and say slowed down to 50kmh it will automaticly shift from 6th to 4th.......unless u stop or crawl then it will go down to 2nd or 1st, and as for the up shift say ur going 70 and ar in 5th and u want to punch it the car will hold gear unless u hit the button in the accelerator ( like the merc or BMW ) then it will select the appropriate gear 2nd in this case and go from there....... the car will NOT upshift in manual mode even if sport is turned off, the only way it will up shift for u is if u put it in auto mode ( which realy suck and shouldnt be used anyways )......hope that clears things abit :p
One small correction ... in Manual mode with Sport switched OFF the Rtronic DOES upshift when you reach the defined rev limit. (I never drive mine in auto mode).

·
Registered
29 Posts
I didn't like R tronic because of the automatic downshift in manual mode when you booted it eg when in 6th gear at 60 and floor it it drops down a couple of cogs - this in manual mode too. If I wanted to go down 2 cogs I'd change myself. Could be a bit dangerous mid corner.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I didn't like R tronic because of the automatic downshift in manual mode when you booted it eg when in 6th gear at 60 and floor it it drops down a couple of cogs - this in manual mode too. If I wanted to go down 2 cogs I'd change myself.
agree, but I got used to it far quicker than I thought as there's no real benefit to booting it enough to engage the kickdown mid corner in such a high gear. Either I'd have dropped down a cog or 2 manually before or don't hammer at the pedal in anger for no actual speed/control benefit.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I didn't like R tronic because of the automatic downshift in manual mode when you booted it eg when in 6th gear at 60 and floor it it drops down a couple of cogs - this in manual mode too. If I wanted to go down 2 cogs I'd change myself. Could be a bit dangerous mid corner.
I have never found this to be a problem. As a rule, I don't floor it when taking a corner ...I usually downshift myself as I am braking so as to be in the correct gear. Basically if you drive it as if you were driving a manual transmission and shift at the appropriate times, this isn't a problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts