Audi R8 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hi, thanks for documenting the gearbox rebuild. Very interesting!
I notice in your final picture that you have new gear position sensors

No new sensors. Not sure how hands on you want to be, but with VCDS or what I have been using OBD11 you can go pretty far in diagnosing. You can see all the adaptation settings and see if they are in range. You also can have the trans 're-lean' shift points. (be careful as if it does not like this, you can be stranded).

I tried the latter for my issue and car would not go into gear after. I unhooked batter, and let sit for a while and reconnected and got it to go into gear. (trans error still showing). I tried "Basic setting #2" again, and it did the same thing again.

I then took to Audi for diagnostic and they confirmed that it was likely the 3rd gear fork and possibly synchro.

I am going to try to get it shipped off tomorrow.

Sorry I dont have any more answers.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Can’t wait for you to come to SoCal and knock out mine when I need it!! Jk.... Love the transformation of the MD also!! I’m fixed wing. i Just have a little Cessna 210.....

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
No new sensors. Not sure how hands on you want to be, but with VCDS or what I have been using OBD11 you can go pretty far in diagnosing. You can see all the adaptation settings and see if they are in range. You also can have the trans 're-lean' shift points. (be careful as if it does not like this, you can be stranded).

I tried the latter for my issue and car would not go into gear after. I unhooked batter, and let sit for a while and reconnected and got it to go into gear. (trans error still showing). I tried "Basic setting #2" again, and it did the same thing again.

I then took to Audi for diagnostic and they confirmed that it was likely the 3rd gear fork and possibly synchro.

I am going to try to get it shipped off tomorrow.

Sorry I dont have any more answers.
Thanks for the response. Much appreciated. I am very hands on (changed my exhaust and shockers myself). I have VCDS. I think basic settings are bloody dangerous! The other day I was having a look around and I pressed a button to get some data and suddenly my car is putting itself in and out of reverse gear. Scared the hell out of me!! I had to switch the ignition off and pull the plug!!
I think I must've pressed up and I somehow selected Basic Setting #2 and it started firing the shift solenoid.
I know whatever it is has to be sensor related because it always seems to go away. Extremely annoying!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I think I must've pressed up and I somehow selected Basic Setting #2 and it started firing the shift solenoid.
I know whatever it is has to be sensor related because it always seems to go away. Extremely annoying!
Yep...sounds like Basic setting #2 alright!

The advice I got was if you are missing intermittently is to first check all adaptation values and make sure in range.

If all those look good, run a basic setting #1 which has the clutch 're-learn' itself. This did not fix my problems. I then tried #2 which bricked my car after giving error code.

I had never had that constant error, just a P2711Unexpected gear disengagement Status: intermittent.

To get the car to go back in gear, I disconnected batter for about 30 min and when I turned back on, it went into gear and drove fine. Error however would not clear. I tried #2 again and failed again. Disconnected batter and go trans back. Did not chance any more and brought into Audi.

He confirmed my analysis and suspect is a bent/worn shift fork. My trans shipped off today and hopefully I will have some news soon!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
John at HCF is top notch

Yes. He has been SUPER helpful. It is nice to know that for the guys in the R8 community that for the transmission, we have his resources and experience available.

Rather than having my dealership do it, (besides the significant cost savings) I know that they have way more experience working on these things day in and day out.

For pretty much anyone with a good mechanic outside of their dealership, this is a great option if you run into trans trouble. I used the shipper recommended and it looks like it was going to make it there possibly today already!

I'll keep everyone updated.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Trans torn down today! #3/4 fork worn/bent, and it has rounded the edges of the synchro.

I knew the fork would be bad...but was hoping to dodge the synchro. He is going to continue breaking down and let me know when done.

He asked when the fluid had been changed last. (trans has only 35k). I told him I changed it prior to sending to him, but then told him Audi does not spec a service interval.

He gave a 'lol'/ Looks like they want to sell transmissions! Long story short....Change your trans fluids!

First pic shows the synchro and fork (note the gap) Last pic is how they should fit.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Great work and post.

Thanks man. I have participated in several different forums for areas of my interest over the years, and I always appreciated the guys who took the time to post up not only the problems, but also the solutions. It is funny how you stumble across something that might even have been posted years ago, but it provides the info you need.

Nothing more frustrating than finding a thread where a guys gets a whole bunch of advice in trying to fix something and never posts the end result :D

Very happy to those on the forum who have posted their previous experiences. It is exactly how I diagnosed my problem. Hopefully, this will serve a purpose for someone in the future!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Just got word from John.

Trans should be done tomorrow! WOW! is all I can say. Will update on details! Now I need to figure if I am gong to exhaust swap since I might keep the car an extra year with all the crazy virus stuff hitting! Might throw a rev9 stainless on it since it is all torn down. I know it is basically throwing away money....but I am still on the fence since I know I will be selling.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Trans shipping out tomorrow! Should have it to install back this weekend.

Ordered all new crush washers from FCP euro. Some may be tempted to skip this, but they are only about $1 each or less. Crazy to not plan ahead and have the proper parts.

I also scuffed up the engine speed sensor pulling the trans out. (it is inside the bell housing of the trans). It should have been removed first. Just to be safe, I am putting in a new sensor there as well. (live and learn!)

I ended up ordering the Rev9 exhaust. Not looking to put a ton in the car since I know I will be moving on soon, but with the uncertainty of the virus stuff, I may be driving this for another year. Temptation got the better of me, so I ordered it as well.

On a side note, they said the inside of my trans was FILTHY. He had a lot of cleaning to do to do the rebuild as he would like. This from a trans with 35k miles.

I know Audi does not spec a service interval, but for the cost of these units, an oil drain and swap would be something I recommend if you bring your car in for anything. Pretty simple. 4 liters when you also blow the cooler lines out. Just crack the fittings after the thermostat and blow a little air in the top hose and you will flush out the .3l contained in that loop.

Will take pics on assembly!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Trans back in today. Put about 6 good hours in. In prep of putting it in, I was a little smarter this time. I broke down the hydraulic shifting body and pressure reservoir. Moving that out of the way gave a much better straight shot to putting the trans in.

I was going to take the power steering pump off also, which goes into the engine block, but I did not realize it is in the shared oil sump there. I started to loosen bolts and started seeing oil! So I ditched that idea. I also pulled the rear mounts off the trans and that gave me enough wiggle to get it all lined up.

Got it in like a snap (I think I was more lucky than anything!). Plumbed in all hydraulic lines, (glad I ordered all the new crush washers in advance) and wiring harnesses.

I still have to put the cars oil sump tank back in and plumb all the oil lines in.

The r-tronic is self priming, but I have to use the OBD11 to bleed the clutch.

While I have it broken down, I went ahead and ordered the Rev9 Stainless cat back just for the heck of it. I did not want to put too much in the car since I do plan on selling, but I may keep this another year and think it will be fun to have a little more sound out of it.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Amazing! Kudos for doing this yourself. Looking forward to your completed project.

The Rev9 exhaust sounds great and value for money. Please takes some videos revving it when possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hope everyone had a good Easter. I snuck a few hours to turn some wrenches today. It is ready to fire up!

I hooked back in all the oil system, and filled hydraulic system back up and bled clutch. This took several times and I added fluid twice to the tank. On the OBD11 I had to shut the car off and unplug the scanner and then reinsert to get it to do a clutch bleed again. Overall I did this 3 times till I saw no bubbles coming into the tube.

Then I had the tell the trans to re-learn the gear positions. All passed.

I slid on the MAF's, but did not want to start the car since my buddy was up in his house and did not want to disturb him. Rather than going ahead and starting to put the new mufflers on, I stopped. I really want to start it at least once with straight pipes! :D

I'll take my son over there tomorrow and make some noise!

Note the Audi approved clutch bleeding fluid overflow receptacle!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
OK some fun stuff today. I had a buddy look at the back while I started for the first time.

Tons of error lights since everything is unhooked on back end. But no leaks, and shifted into first and into reverse and N just fine.

Of course I could not resist a straight-pipe start.

Then here it is with the rev 9 SS attached.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Mission complete! Car back together and all items buttoned up! Boy lots of little things to do and it eats at the time.

Want to thank John and HCF https://hcfautoparts.com/ for all his help.

I got everything in and ran the basic setting channel 2. The gears all clicked off without issue.

I still had tons of warning lights. Mag ride, esp, all kinds of indicators. As soon as I ran the car for a few min, they all disappeared. I let everything come up to temp. First thing I did was shift up and down all 6 gears with no issue. It was really clicking them off which seem like much better than before. The engagement was just very positive especially 2nd to 3rd shift. No hesitation, just a solid shift.

Once it came up to temp, I had fun running some no lift shifts up to 8000 and then back down. Just totally solid! I cant tell you how happy and satisfied I am.

The DIY part of this was a little crazy.....but if I did not have the time on my hands, I would have just had John do the trans and let my Indy mechanic scrape all his knuckles ;)

If you DIY this....remember to have spare fluids on hand. The power steering fluid might be an easy one to overlook! Crush washers too! Be a shame to have a leak for a $.90 washer.

The Rev 9 exhaust transforms the car also. Sounds super nice. Nice little burble downshifting coming down though 3500-ish. Really comes alive above 5000.

Pic of a super dirty car! His shop has a gravel drive down to it so next job is a really good clean!

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Nice job! Please share with us more videos of the car driving with the Rev9 exhaust. ??

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
No time for footage yet....but a small Corona break for the day!

I have a good buddy that I have handled a bunch of things for. Out of the blue today I got a giant Ohama Steaks box loaded with tenderloins, sirloins and burgers along with sides and appetizers.

We dont like to waste things around our house. Taking the time to teach your kids how to not just throw things away, but rather find something purposeful for them. So everytime we have gotten some Ohama steaks we not only enjoy the steaks, but we find uses for the packaging as well!

Now....what can we do with a nice chunk of dry ice?..... Well of course,....make a bomb out of it! :D

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Finally had a chance to clean it all up and take son for a spin. He loves the new exhaust note. (as do I).

Sadly I believe I am going to sell though. My original plans were for spring to sell this and looks for a Gallardo Spyder. I think that is the direction I am going to go.

I may end up keeping it for a while depending on this virus stuff. Some people are really giving stuff away right now. I am not in any hurry. Surly there are worse things than to have to drive this for a while longer ;)

21 - 40 of 41 Posts