Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Audi has decided to employ the following mechanism for the R-Tronic Shifter!

Pull Back - Shift Down a Gear
Push Forward - Shift Up a Gear

However, BMW, Ferrari, Rally, Indy, F1 etc employs the following method:

Pull Back - Shift Up
Push Forward - Shift Down

Why has Audi decided to go against the Motorsport Majority? Are they crazy or am I the only one that things this is weird?

Also, the old Monochrome Red LCD they use is terrible. When using a sequential gearbox like the R-Tronic it's important to display the Current Gear selected clearly using a Large Font like BMW, Ferrari etc. However, the gear selected in the R8 is displayed along the bottom of the LCD screen and in a very small font, just like the setup in an A3!! :(

Is it just me or has Audi lost focus on the finishing touches?? Your thoughts...

·
Registered
40 Posts
It appears they used the same concept from the normal Tiptronic shifter gate. Existing Audi consumer will view this a normal for the brand.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I'm not sure that a 'large' number denoting the gear selected is correct ... but I'm not saying it's wrong either ... some will like it, some will not ... just because its been done before, doesn't mean everyone has to do so ... a series of digits along the bottom of the DIS serves the same purpose ... when you know where to look, you will get used to it pretty quick I'm sure.

I drove a Mercedes auto ... that included the option of a sequential type shift plane on the 'stick' ... it was set to move up a gear when you tapped it back ... and down a gear when you tapped it forward ... personally I felt it was the wrong way round ... but thats just my feelings ... again like the gear display ... just because someone has done it one way doesn't mean everyone has to follow along and do the same ... if everyone did the same thing the world would be a very dull place.

My thought process on this is as follows:
When you're accelerating you are going forward (unless you're a high speed reverse maniac!) so pushing the 'stick' forward to engage the next gear makes sense to me ... likewise when you want to rein the cars speed in, pulling back on the 'stick' to engage a lower gear seems perfectly logical.

My thought process on why 'motorsport' (and afterwards other high speed cars) seems to have adopted ... forward for down a gear and ... backward for up a gear ... is as follows:
When you are braking hard, as repeatedly required in motorsport into virtually every bend ... the drivers body will be pushed forward and in F1 with 3G+ being common place under braking it would become tiring trying to pull your arm back even a bit when it is several times heavier, let alone maybe a thousand times in a race (besides F1 cars and a lot of other motorsport cars acre now paddle shifters) ... likewise the same is true, although to a lesser number of G, under acceleration ... but in normal road cars, even supercars, the G forces are significantly less and the level at which the road cars will be driven (even when on a track) makes this thought process significantly less relevant.

All the above is obviously just ... imho

·
Registered
564 Posts
re **** driection, you are not alone Paul... cant believe what you just wrote..
imagine a race, and you try to "throw" the gear in, one by one.. it somehow distrubs the whole feeling, to push the gear forward into next higher...

WELL I AM ANYWAY THE MANUAL TYPE.. but I would concider even this a reason not to use dsg ;)

but re monochrome display, i somehow find it nice on my manual specced R8.. it bring a sort of nostalgic feeling, like you would sit in a old 1960whatever speedster or similar, where driver is the only thing in the car which thinks... ;) hope you getting me on this...

but i like the colored display in my A6 aswell.. but for a sportcar, it must not be there.. the purer the better.. (some will probably say, buy a GT3) haha

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm not sure that a 'large' number denoting the gear selected is correct ... but I'm not saying it's wrong either ... some will like it, some will not ... just because its been done before, doesn't mean everyone has to do so ... a series of digits along the bottom of the DIS serves the same purpose ... when you know where to look, you will get used to it pretty quick I'm sure.

I drove a Mercedes auto ... that included the option of a sequential type shift plane on the 'stick' ... it was set to move up a gear when you tapped it back ... and down a gear when you tapped it forward ... personally I felt it was the wrong way round ... but thats just my feelings ... again like the gear display ... just because someone has done it one way doesn't mean everyone has to follow along and do the same ... if everyone did the same thing the world would be a very dull place.

When you're accelerating you are going forward (unless you're a high speed reverse maniac!) so pushing the 'stick' forward to engage the next gear makes sense to me ... likewise when you want to rein the cars speed in, pulling back on the 'stick' to engage a lower gear seems perfectly logical.

My thought process on why 'motorsport' (and afterwards other high speed cars) seems to have adopted ... forward for down a gear and ... backward for up a gear ... is as follows:
When you are braking hard, as repeatedly required in motorsport into virtually every bend ... the drivers body will be pushed forward and in F1 with 3G+ being common place under braking it would become tiring trying to pull your arm back even a bit when it is several times heavier, let alone maybe a thousand times in a race (besides F1 cars and a lot of other motorsport cars acre now paddle shifters) ... likewise the same is true, although to a lesser number of G, under acceleration ... but in normal road cars, even supercars, the G forces are significantly less and the level at which the road cars will be driven (even when on a track) makes this thought process significantly less relevant.

I totally agree with you.

·
Registered
311 Posts

Pull Back - Shift Up

Why has Audi decided to go against the Motorsport Majority? Are they crazy or am I the only one that things this is weird?

Also, the old Monochrome Red LCD they use is terrible. When using a sequential gearbox like the R-Tronic it's important to display the Current Gear selected clearly using a Large Font like BMW, Ferrari etc. However, the gear selected in the R8 is displayed along the bottom of the LCD screen and in a very small font, just like the setup in an A3!! :(

Is it just me or has Audi lost focus on the finishing touches?? Your thoughts...
Are you sure about the Ferrari et al using this format? AFAIK Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini only use paddle shifters for this type of box with right pull back - shift up, left pull back - shift down. They don't employ a gear stick at all. Mercedes on the SLK AMG (at least) use buttons on the wheel to the same effect and a stick with side tapping to move up and down gears. BMW ? So I am not sure about much consensus on this matter. I am sure you will get used it regardless, although I do think the paddles that shift with the wheel are a bad idea compared to fixed paddles.

I do agree about the small gear indicator display, would be much better larger as in the Italian cars.

·
Registered
647 Posts

Sorry Paul but, this time I disagree a lot!

System that Audi made for R-Tronic shifter(up forward, down backward) is idiotic IMHO. All other systems are more normal up backward, down forward as on all motorsport systems. For God sake all this sequential gearboxes are developed with motorsport experience in their mind!

And this is one of the reasons that I will skip this relatively flawed system and enjoy manual version...

Of course more then 70% of all R8s will be R-Tronic, but NOT mine.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'm used to forward is lower gear, backwards is higher gear. And I can tell you it's easier that way. All the rallycars I know work that way, and for a reason:

When you accelerate its easier to pull the shifter to you. When you are braking its easier to push the shifter from you. Physics :)

·
Registered
840 Posts
Sorry Paul but, this time I disagree a lot!
Glad we don't agree on everything ... life would get very dull if we did ... :p
System that Audi made for R-Tronic shifter(up forward, down backward) is idiotic IMHO. All other systems are more normal up backward, down forward as on all motorsport systems. For God sake all this sequential gearboxes are developed with motorsport experience in their mind!
I'm sure many people will be disappointed and will agree with you ... but I suspect people going down the R-tronic route will get used to it.
And this is one of the reasons that I will skip this relatively flawed system and enjoy manual version...

Of course more then 70% of all R8s will be R-Tronic, but NOT mine.
I suspect my manual order will remain ... manual ... I doubt I will change to a 'flawed' system ;)

·
Registered
840 Posts
All the rallycars I know work that way, and for a reason:

When you accelerate its easier to pull the shifter to you. When you are braking its easier to push the shifter from you. Physics :)
That is what my thought process concluded ... I suppose you would get used to it ... but for me when I drove a Merc that had a 'stick' that could do this, I felt it was unnatural ... although I can see why 'motorsport' cars use this method and I'm sure I would get used to it ... I just didn't find it natural when I drove the Merc.

·
Registered
782 Posts
That is what my thought process concluded ... I suppose you would get used to it ... but for me when I drove a Merc that had a 'stick' that could do this, I felt it was unnatural ... although I can see why 'motorsport' cars use this method and I'm sure I would get used to it ... I just didn't find it natural when I drove the Merc.
LOL I didn't read your post yet :)

You are correct, it's primary the braking G forces and shifting back. Swap your tires on the R8 for Michelin N00 tyres and replace your brakepads for ceramic pads and you'll have comparable braking power. Do swap your discs every 2500 km though :)

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There will always be disagreement, but as mentioned 100% of serious motorsport use the Pull Back (Shift Up) and Push Forward (Shift down).

Since the R8 is supposed to a "Supercar" and marketed as such, I would expect it to use the same convention!! :rolleyes:

Anyway, looks like I'll have to get used to it. Or maybe I can find a tricky Auto Electrician to swap it around for me!!! :D

·
Registered
840 Posts
Since the R8 is supposed to a "Supercar" and marketed as such, I would expect it to use the same convention!! :rolleyes:
I am a little surprised that Audi ... who at first avoided using the term "Supercar" like the plague ... now blatently state on the R8 pages on their website, on their UK site at least ... "Meet the new supercar" ... although after a quick glance at some others, Germany, France, USA ... it seems the UK is alone in its use of the term "supercar" ... :( :confused: :( ... I wonder if they will continue this trend ... :confused: ... or fall into line with Audi's R8 company line on their other websites ... :confused:

·
Registered
782 Posts
I am a little surprised that Audi ... who at first avoided using the term "Supercar" like the plague ... now blatently state on the R8 pages on their website, on their UK site at least ... "Meet the new supercar" ... although after a quick glance at some others, Germany, France, USA ... it seems the UK is alone in its use of the term "supercar" ... :( :confused: :( ... I wonder if they will continue this trend ... :confused: ... or fall into line with Audi's R8 company line on their other websites ... :confused:
In the Dutch Audi magazine they call it a supersportscar.

·
Registered
647 Posts
IMHO R8 is NOT Supersportscar... If it is... Then 997 turbo, F430 and Gallardo are Ultimate Supersportscars... Stupid, isn't it?

R8 is great mid-engined true sportscar and this is how Audi should advertise it IMHO.

·
Registered
782 Posts
IMHO R8 is NOT Supersportscar... If it is... Then 997 turbo, F430 and Gallardo are Ultimate Supersportscars... Stupid, isn't it?

R8 is great mid-engined true sportscar and this is how Audi should advertise it IMHO.
I agree! Strange marketing sometimes...

·
Registered
367 Posts

Pull Back - Shift Up
The Audi mode mimics the way all automatics used to be manually shifted and actually makes MORE sense for automatic familiar drivers. Previous tiptronic-type cars I've had shifted this way and were intuitive. My latest BMW has the opposite control movement (which they apparently recently changed to) and after a year I still can grab the wrong gear once in a while!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts