Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should be getting my R8 soon, anything I should be on the look out for when taking delivery? Last two cars I got, the dealers “forgot” about the deposit and did not factor that into the calculation. And years back, a BMW dealer wrote down the lease term as 10K miles/year vs the 12K miles/yr. that was agreed on. When one get caught up with the excitement of a new car, some of this detail can easily be missed.

Any advise on the R-tronic for those who had the car for a while? Appreciate any advice. Happy new Year to all !

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Advice? Yes .... enjoy it!

The only aspect of the R-tronic that caught me out is that it drops into neutral if you stop and take you foot off the brake (even if you have applied the hand-brake). Embarrassed me the first time I drove ... tried to pull away from a traffic light and just revved up the engine; had to put a foot back on the brake to select first gear. You do get a warning chime when this happens.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Advice? Yes .... enjoy it!

The only aspect of the R-tronic that caught me out is that it drops into neutral if you stop and take you foot off the brake (even if you have applied the hand-brake). Embarrassed me the first time I drove ... tried to pull away from a traffic light and just revved up the engine; had to put a foot back on the brake to select first gear. You do get a warning chime when this happens.
I saw one guy review that on youtube and hated that, so just keep the foot on the brake at the light and on stop and go traffic? I often shift the gear to neutral at the light, just a habit.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I saw one guy review that on youtube and hated that, so just keep the foot on the brake at the light and on stop and go traffic? I often shift the gear to neutral at the light, just a habit.
When I drive a stick-shift (my other car ... I have a BMW 3-series) I do the same as you ... shift to neutral after applying the hand-brake; I think that this comes from having learned to drive on a manual transmission in the UK where, if you want to pass the driving test, you always have to apply the hand-brake and shift into neutral when you stop. You just need to remember that, with the R-tronic, you cannot select first gear unless you have your foot on the foot-brake. It only took me a short time to get into the habit.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
It's more of a pain for roundabouts and where need to turn before a blind bend on a fast road - in both of those instances any delay is going to be an issue. BMW don't have the problem with their smg so it must be do-able.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Rtronic drives much better if you shift it manually rather than leave it in auto. When the engine is cold, I change gears between 3,000 and 4,000 rpm. When warm up, change gears at whatever rpm you want to. In fact, the engine feels looser, more eager to rev, and encounters less resistance as it revs pass 4500 - 5000 rpm. This is with 3500 miles on the clock.

·
Registered
482 Posts
6spd here, so no advice I can give you on that. For the paperwork, just have them fax it to you so you run through it in detail at your convenience. Go in with the papers signed and you are good to go. That's what I did. Also, although many would rather not have the dealer prep their car, I personally recommend this. One prominent detailer on 6spd recommended that I have the vehicle detailed by him and to have the dealer leave all of the white protective sheets on the car. That is all fine and dandy when the condition of the car is perfect. In my case, there was a deep scratch on the front nose, which must have happened during transport at sea. In this case, I already signed for the vehicle, which also noted that I did not want an exterior PPI performed. If they are performing the prep work, the car is clean and you would be able to spot all of these problems before taking care of the paperwork - my 2 cents. Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good luck!!!!

thx, I do like the fax idea, it is most likely I will be getting my loan from a credit union, so I hope that translate shorter paper work time and more time to inspect the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts