Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to ask if anyone else has had their sensors on their R Tronic replaced and what the life has been?

I had the g616 and g604 sensors replaced by local Audi dealer in Australia in 2016 after multiple gearbox malfunction lights coming on and the vehicle not being able to re start after turning ignition off.

Since that time I have only driven just over 2000kms, as I work from home and don't drive too much other than short trips a few times a week at the most.
Last week I got the same gearbox error light, and once again stranded on the side of the road as the car would not re start.

Got to Audi dealer, they diagnosed and said the same sensors are stuffed and also need to replace a wiring harness!

I asked why the sensors only lasted just over 2000kms of driving and I was told its not the kilometres its how many times the car is started and stopped!
So I worked out roughly based on my Ks travelled and times driven and it came out to 250 start and stops!

I am pretty sure a part is suppose to last longer than 250 start and stops, even if that's a unit of life expectancy measure!!

I have written to Audi in Germany to query the life of these sensors, taking into consideration there is only two years warranty on the parts. And I have had mine for three years but only driven over 2000kms! Or 250 start and stops if I am to go by their explanation (Excuse)!

Any help or other experiences would be truly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I would expect a lot longer life on these sensors than 2 years, are you sure its sensor failure and not signal failure? there's an upgraded wiring loom where it changed to gold pins as previously corrosion was an issue causing signal error.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I asked Audi Australia about the life of these sensors and they came back and said it was to do with the times the car was turned on and off! Pretty lame excuse for part only lasting 2000kms!

You could be right, as they also want to replace a wiring harness. Which could have been the issue in the first place, back in 2016 when they first replaced the sensors.
It seems tough to get a straight answer and they do not want to take responsibility for the faulty sensors (if they are in fact faulty) or whether it could have been the wiring harness that was an issue all along!

I just want to get it fixed properly so I can have trouble free driving again. Getting stuck at the side of the road and having to get two trucks with dollies to get the thing onto the truck is just not funny.

I appreciate your input and will bring up the wiring loom to see if what they have quoted me for is in fact an upgraded one with gold pins.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts