Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this just like driving an automatic? with a button to switch to sport/manual?

I can't drive standard. :(

·
Registered
840 Posts
Is this just like driving an automatic? with a button to switch to sport/manual?

I can't drive standard. :(
Not sure if anyone can answer that at the moment ... I get the impression that it will have a full auto mode ... as well as a sport mode ... even Audi have talked about it being capable to switch between 'Auto' and 'Sport' ... so you have to think that whilst you should be able to ... 'put it in D' ... as it were ... you should also be able to put it into sport mode ... using either the 'stick' or 'flappy paddles' to change up and down through the gears.

HTH

·
Registered
311 Posts
If it is anything like the Ferrari/Maserati sequential manual, which as far as I know it is, then full auto is not that great and not comparable to tiptronic type autos in smoothness. These sequential manuaal gearboxes are more like manuals with an automated clutch and computer controlled rev matching, yes they have a full auto mode but is is very lumpy. Hopefully I am wrong and the full auto mode is good, but I will have to wait to be convinced.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bet it's just the Gallardo's e-gear setup since the car is so much like a Gallardo anyway. Exact same wheels , Exact same length. Only difference is the engine size it looks like.

If it is than I have read good things about it's automitic mode.

Finally, a fun and functional automatic
One area of performance where the Gallardo bests its classmates is located between the seats. The e.gear system, which is essentially the same Magneti Marelli/Ferrari-developed unit used by the Prancing Horse for its "F1" transmissions, is perhaps the most effective use of this technology we've yet experienced — short of Audi's own DSG.
However, unlike most of these transmissions, e.gear also works remarkably well when put into full "Auto" mode and left to figure things out on its own.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I bet it's just the Gallardo's e-gear setup since the car is so much like a Gallardo anyway. Exact same wheels , Exact same length. Only difference is the engine size it looks like.

If it is than I have read good things about it's automitic mode.
Oh no ... not someone else thinking the R8 is a Gallardo wearing four rings instead of a raging bull ... oh well, the comparison will end soon enough ... and re-focus on the actual sector of car that the R8 does fall within ...

Anyway ... Audi are saying that the R-Tronic will be smoother ... and quicker ... than the current E-Gear on the Gallardo ... which pretty much re-opens my tough decision on whether to stay a manual driver ... or make the switch to a flappy paddle auto!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Two transmissions are available: a manual 6-speed gearbox or the optional Audi R tronic sequential-shift gearbox. With R tronic (similar to the Gallardo's EGear setup), Audi's shift-by-wire technology provides quick shifts and an outstanding power-to-weight ratio, the automaker says. Sport or automatic modes can be selected.
--------------

The Audi R8 also shares the same all-aluminium chassis as the Gallardo, as well as it’s four-wheel drive system and 6-speed manual gearbox.
The transmission it uses is the same as a Gallardo. They just call it R tronic instead of e gear.

For all intents and purposes it's a lower end Gallardo stamped as an Audi.

·
Registered
182 Posts
put it this way ive got a gallardo and i can tell you its going to make room for my r8 lambo piece of **** been in the work shop more times than ive had it on the road i also own 06-rs4 and if the r8 is anything like this ill be very happy

·
Registered
840 Posts
The transmission it uses is the same as a Gallardo. They just call it R tronic instead of e gear.
Not ture ... the R-Tronic is a developement of the E-Gear and is an improvement of it ... expect the Gallardo to get the improved R-Tronic system some time soon ... although whether Lamborghini call it R-Tronic remains to be seen.
For all intents and purposes it's a lower end Gallardo stamped as an Audi.
What rubbish ... you know you really do come out with some ... bull****.

Lamborghinis are known to spend a lot of time back at the garage being fixed ... by way of example see CooperR8's post that appears above this ... if the R8 is a lower end Gallardo no doubt you should expect it to spend as much time ... if not more ... in the garage being fixed than a Gallardo ... in reality I suspect that the R8 will spend considerable less time in the garage being fixed than its Lamborghini cousins ... although I'm sure Audi's influence will change that over the coming years.

If you really despise the R8 as much as it appears you do ... why on earth do you continue posting here ... :confused:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
How is it that I despise anything? I despise it because I am saying it is basically a Gallardo with a smaller engine block? Those who say it isn't are just fooling themselves. The facts are right there... same tranny , same chassi , same drive system , same wheels. The Engine block is just detuned and has Audi written on it instead of Lamborghini.

The car is ok but the engine in it is a kind of nancy for a sports car. A 4.2 liter V8? Audi has larger engines in some of their other cars that are not even sports cars.
It should have been a 5.0 liter V8 but the reason it's not is because Audi does not want to cut into the sales of the Gallardo.

I am trying to figure out what makes this car worth $100k+ but there doesn't seem to be much other than it's supposed quality engineering I guess.

·
Registered
190 Posts
yeah some people expected it to have the DSG box but audi went with improving the e-tronic box. I dont know the techinacl aspects of the dsg and if it can handle the power but i suppose it was cheaper to improve what they had already in the shape of the e-tronic.

I was going for the e-tronic until the london event. open gate..mmmmm manual for me please.

·
Registered
840 Posts
How is it that I despise anything? I despise it because I am saying it is basically a Gallardo with a smaller engine block? Those who say it isn't are just fooling themselves. The facts are right there... same tranny , same chassi , same drive system , same wheels.
You obviously haven't read that the transmission is not the same, R-Tronic and E-Gear are not one and the same ... the chassis, whilst admitedly sharing large amounts of, and or, large similarities with the Gallardo chassis, is (I doubt) not actually the same ... they both have four wheel drive systems yes, but I doubt they're exactly the same ... any just because the wheel sizes are the same, doesn't make them the "same wheels" ... does the exteriors of the car look that much alike ... :confused: ... and then to top it all, you come out with this little gem ...
The Engine block is just detuned and has Audi written on it instead of Lamborghini.
The 4.2litre V8 that they are using in the R8 is actually a fairly new Audi lump ... and is not detuned in any way shape or form ... it's the same lump (just with dry sump) that they used in the RS4 ... which is was the first time it was used at that power rating ... it is not a "detuned" Lamborghini engine ... in fact the 5.0litre V10 in the Gallardo actually has more to do with Audi than it does Lamborghini ... just because the V10 (probably) firsrt appeared in a Lambo doesn't mean it was designed by them.

·
Registered
190 Posts
and Audi took that Lambo V10, bored it out to 5.2l and put it in botht he S8 and S6 and it will probably find its way back to lambo.

I dont know where your getting your information from but reading it on the walls of your local pub probably isnt the best place to start. ;)

and i thought the R8 was slightly larger than the lambo?

·
Registered
840 Posts
... ... ... the car is so much like a Gallardo anyway. Exact same wheels , Exact same length. Only difference is the engine size it looks like.
... ... ...
... ... ...
and i thought the R8 was slightly larger than the lambo?
And the winner is ... TTej ... ;)

Just to confirm this ...
Gallardo
Wheelbase = 2560mm
Length = 4300mm
Width = 1900mm
Height = 1184mm
R8
Wheelbase = 2650mm
Length = 4431
Width = 1904mm
Height = 1249mm

Once more it's been highlighted that the R8 is not a Gallardo wearing four rings instead of a bull ...

Now ... to sum up ... at this point in time ...
Chassis ... simialr, large parts of the major components are no doubt shared, but not all ...
Engine ... the R8 has a fairly new Audi lump which is smaller than the Gallardo's ... it is not a detuned Lambo lump ... the Gallardo V10 is more Audi design than it is Lambo anyway ...
Acceleration ... R8 4.6secs to 62mph ... Gallardo 4.0secs to 62mph ... in reality that is a huge gap ... tenths of a second are difficult to come by when you're near the 4 second area ...
Top Speed ... R8 187mph ... Gallardo 196mph ... not a huge differece I suppose ... but more than enough for people interested in figures ...
Wheels ... same diameter, I think the same width, but they certainly aren't 'the same' ...
Size ... not the same at all really ... although the difference in width is minimal ...
Exterior ... visually they are remarkably different ... R8 curvey ... Gallardo angluar ... R8 less 'in your face' / 'meanacing' then the Gallardo ...
Reliability ... not proof yet ... but heck, lets face it, your average R8 will likely spend less time back at the garage being fixed than your average Gallardo ... meaning more time to drive it ...

I'm sure I'll have missed something ... but heck ... no one is perfect ... not even me ... ;) ... even though I'm always right ... :D ... I thought I was wrong once ... :eek: ... but I was mistaken ... ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
doesn't make them the "same wheels"
they are exactly the same wheels as you can see this one driving around with a set of Gallardo wheels on it. they just made the final ones appear visually different.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/e969fdcb-e95e-4d5d-981f-982500fffd84.htm

notice how he always compares it to the Gallardo because they are so similar. he also says it will come with a detuned 450HP Gallardo engine or the 420 hp one..

a few inches this way or that way in length doesn't exactly matter much. It's the same sized car. they just lengthened it a few inches for whatever reasons.

Personally I am more interested in the detuned Gallardo engine than the 420 HP one and may hold off buying one until that version is out.
A 420 4.2 liter is kind of nancy sounding for a sports car. Say what you like about the Gallardo's sketchy engineering but the engine is one of the baddest sounding things out there. Stick that v10 into the R8 with better engineering and you got yourself one killer car.

·
Registered
840 Posts
they are exactly the same wheels as you can see this one driving around with a set of Gallardo wheels on it. they just made the final ones appear visually different.
... ... ...
At last you have seen the light ... the wheels are different ... you've said it yourself ... ;)
They either "are exactly the same" ... or they are not ... same size maybe ... but if they are visually different ... they are not "exactly the same" ... are they ... yes ... or ... no ... :confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts