Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...as promissed!

My friend just emailed me with his R8 impression(he is member of car press):

"Kreso, R8 is fantastic car. A lot better then I even imagined... Traction is fantastic, even better then Gallardo. Engine is a gem, power, torque and character. And character is that unique feature since it is missing in most sportscar engines.
Roadholding is amazing, ESP is calibrated just right-two stages, more then enough. When ESP is off you got all control possible, if you push your right foot too hard oversteer is the name of the game! In Audi!!
R-Tronic is for me the best sequential gearbox yet. Smooth and quick in normal mode, faster then any human in sport mode. LC is relatively easy to use and you can achive even better then 4.6s with it...
You need to think very hard again about R-Tronic my friend! You will miss it and feel sorry later... I just warned you!
Ceramics are very good and powerfull, but not a must, at least for me. They were noisy on my test car(Red) and on track you can feel some benefite...
But, in real life you can live with normal one pretty good.
Pirelli Corsa tires are fantastic on dry road and track. Audi guys told me that for R8 there are only three(!!) type of tires approved currently. Michelin Pilot Sport, Pirelli P Zero Rosso and Pirell Corsa.
They also said that Corsa tires are also very good on dry road as well in this version(R8 approved version!). "

There is even more, but I belive this short version is good enough.
So, R-Tronic or not? That is the question again!:mad: :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Does LC 'damage' the car in any way? They say that if you use it on an BMW M5 that it is bad for your gearbox (it would be the same if you drove 10 000 kilometers with it). Is it the same for the R8 or not?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LC can kill the clutch! You can use up to around 15 LC starts before killing the clutch.
But, since R8 engine needs as RS4 engine pretty long run-in period(around 10000km to achive best figures!) you will probably not use LC in say, first 5000-7000km. After that you will use it one in month or two. That is normal usage... If you use it everyday... Well, new clutch every few moths I guess!

If you start in race way with manual everyday you will kill the clutch pretty soon as well IMHO.

Normal(say normal to hard driving, some track enjoyment) clutch life for R-Tronic is between 20000-30000km... If you kill it before that figures blame is on YOU ONLY!

BTW, II know the person who killed his clutch on F430F1 in first 5000km's... So, go figure...

Attachments

·
Registered
840 Posts
Kreso ... you are ... the man!

Excellent info from you once again ... only trouble is I'm now having to seriously wonder about whether I stay with the manual ... or switch and change to R-Tronic ... ARGH!

I think the sensible thing to do will be to read as many reviews as possible ... then make my final decision when I'm contacted to confirm my order shortly before my R8 is built.

I think a lot will depend on whether the R-Tronic really does change gear when you flick one of the padles of knock the joystick forward or back ... and how the revs have to be managed to allow the gear change to take place when you want it to ... which is one of my major dislikes about auto and semi-auto boxes.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Kreso,

I hate you, LOL! Now I have to reconsider manual or R-Tronic :D

No, excellent information. Many thanx. I can't wait to see the first magazines with the tests, I'll buy them all.

Bye,

Tim

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kreso ... you are ... the man!

Excellent info from you once again ... only trouble is I'm now having to seriously wonder about whether I stay with the manual ... or switch and change to R-Tronic ... ARGH!

I think the sensible thing to do will be to read as many reviews as possible ... then make my final decision when I'm contacted to confirm my order shortly before my R8 is built.

I think a lot will depend on whether the R-Tronic really does change gear when you flick one of the padles of knock the joystick forward or back ... and how the revs have to be managed to allow the gear change to take place when you want it to ... which is one of my major dislikes about auto and semi-auto boxes.
Thanks Paul!

I am in the same situation as you! I am still with manual, but as you I will change as well to R-Tronic if that prove to be better option.

Latest on Friday I will post translated short summery from first R8 drive impression published today in German AMS.

·
Registered
782 Posts
...as promissed!

Ceramics are very good and powerfull, but not a must, at least for me. They were noisy on my test car(Red) and on track you can feel some benefite...
But, in real life you can live with normal one pretty good.
Put some nice brakepads on the normal discs and they will brake even better. Disadvantage: your discs will wear quicker, but hey how much do the ceramics cost?! :)

We put on Group-N rallycars other pads (Like Lancer EVO's) good pad can improve performance with 20%.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
R-Tronic is very good, I do not have any doubt about it any more.
But, is it RELIABLE?
And what about LONG TERM RELIABILITY?

I bet that manual R8s will prove to be more reliable then R-Tronic versions.
Electronic glitches, hydraulic pump etc. But, we will see...

·
Registered
840 Posts
Latest on Friday I will post translated short summery from first R8 drive impression published today in German AMS.
Excellent ... looking forward to it already ... :)

·
Registered
564 Posts
guys.. R tronic surely will be good as we could read from Kresos colleague... BUT.. is it really bout shifting in 0.000whatever seconds, or about how sophisitcated it works..??

no matter how good it is.. i will stick to manual, .. just look at that beatuy of a shifting scenery.. and with the full control of what its doing.. MAN AND MACHINE will be ONE AGAIN!! ;O)

anyway, change whatever you like.. but i am oldfashioned in this matter.. will drive manual ones as long as i can... and they are available

·
Registered
175 Posts
hi,i have went for the r tronic and i am in two minds on it.....this clutch bizness is bad, i've never owned a sports car always diesels...so i'm treating myself 4 my 25th birdy....i'm going to use this weapon to cruise and a few track days and intend to keep her 2-3 years if i don'nt get the v10 first..
Audi have been working real hard on the r tronic for the R8 and i think it would be a shame not to have it JUST AS AUDI INTENDED?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts