Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a post on the WEB that there is a software upgrade that smooths out the low speed shifting of the R-Tronic. Has anyone heard of this or had it installed?

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
My car has had two software upgrades (one in early 2008 and one a few weeks ago). I believe that both included changes to the shifting of the r-tronic. The first certainly did and the low speed shifts were much smoother ...with the second I was told it did but I can't say I noticed much change at low speeds but I do have the impression that the higher speed shifts are a little faster in the "normal" mode.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I had the software updated a month or so back - can't say I noticed much of a difference but I don't drive in auto. The biggest pain for me hasn't been addressed and that is it going to neutral automatically after a few seconds of no gas/brake when the car is stationery - but I think that is classed as a design "feature".

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I had the software updated a month or so back - can't say I noticed much of a difference but I don't drive in auto. The biggest pain for me hasn't been addressed and that is it going to neutral automatically after a few seconds of no gas/brake when the car is stationery.
Neither do I ever drive in auto. As for the drop into neutral, it was very embarrassing the first time it happened to me (didn't realize I was in neutral!!) but I got used to it. I am told it is a safety feature so unlikely to be changed>

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
yeah, getting used to it is a necessity to avoid looking like a moron at best or putting the car in actual danger at worst. It's just irritating having to second guess a supposed manual making such an important decision when bmw have shown it's not a requirement with their own smg transmission.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
My wife proved this safety features worth when she got in with the car running and gave it a big stab on the throttle. If it had been in gear I think I would still be chasing it ;-)

Agree it can be embarrasing though, the chime should be a touch louder as mine is quite quiet and easy to miss.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
My wife proved this safety features worth when she got in with the car running and gave it a big stab on the throttle. If it had been in gear I think I would still be chasing it ;-)
surely you wouldn't have got out of the car with it in gear and idling?

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
I didn't, but I could have... She has to pry me out of the drivers seat as it is...

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I didn't, but I could have
personally I think responsibility for that kind of lack of care should be with the driver rather than adding risk at fast blind bend sideroads/roundabouts where every second counts.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Audi are paranoid about litigation after the US court case for 'unintended acceleration' a while back. Probably explains the 'stick it in gear' message too. Nanny state!

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
that makes sense - get so tired of cars chiming and warning messages for the bleeding obvious.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
I am delving into VAG.Com to see what we can actually control - report when I can make sense of it all.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
haha careful playing with the gearbox... thought I'd broken mine for a bit there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Going back to neutral is pretty normal for this type of transmission. It's exactly the same in the Lambo's. I've had a long talk with Valentino Balboni regarding this issue and he told me that each time you stop the car (at traffic lights etc) you need to put it in neutral. This reduces stress on the clutch and will help its lifespan.

That is the reason why it will put itself into neutral after a few seconds.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
It's exactly the same in the Lambo's.
no surprise there given it's basically the same transmission - the r-tronic even has the lambo logo stamped on it.

he told me that each time you stop the car (at traffic lights etc) you need to put it in neutral. This reduces stress on the clutch and will help its lifespan.

That is the reason why it will put itself into neutral after a few seconds.
bmw didn't do it with their smg - and they managed acceptable clutch life. I suspect the smg still went to neutral but masked it from the driver so that when they applied the gas the box automatically went into gear vs the r-tronic requiring driver intervention to select the gear first.

audi could still achieve the exact same clutch life benefits without inconveniencing the driver.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
I think the gearbox is actually a Graziano unit purpose designed for Lambo/Audi?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts