Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

i know there are older forums dealing with this issue but i figured id open a new one since more people have had hands-on experience as the cars are beginning to ship.

Im debating the R-Tronic over the manual; some people ive spoken to who've driven the rtronic seem to love it, while ive read some negative reviews of the system online.

most of my driving will be done in the city...perhaps the odd track day but mainly highway/city use. i like the idea of having a manual (paddles, lever) when im in the mood to play and an auto for traffic, lazy times, etc. i drove the 6 speed and loved it but am afraid i might get tired of the clacking

is R tronic THAT BAD in auto mode?? im finding it hard to beleive audi would include a crappy system in such an amazing flagship vehicle!!

also, im debating daytona gray over phantom black...ive seen the phantom black live but the only daytona gray ive been able to see is online. does anyone have a nice pic of a daytona gray in real life? (no photoshop/press photos)

thanks

·
Registered
439 Posts
You might want to do a google search for "Audi R8 Daytona Grey". Every time I did, I found several photos of cars from sellers and dealers that were pretty clear and undoctored.

I'm in the reverse situation. I've seen an actual Daytona Grey but not a Phantom Black. I ordered my car in Daytona Grey with Quartz Grey sideblades but recently switched it to Black with Lava Grey sideblades.

I have an SL55 which I have thoroughly enjoyed (except for frequent shop visits). However, the element of its design that has aged least well in my view is all the strakes and vents. When the "new and wow" wears off a car, it's often the unconventional design elements that begin to cloy first. And the R8 is chock full of such elements. So I finally decided I wanted a color that minimized those elements visually as much as possible, and black does the best job of that.

Just my view . . . .

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just a personal opinion but the R Tronic is awesome. Have been driving paddle shifts for 3-4 years with the Maserati Cambiocorsa and the R Tronic is far superior. If you are not used to it it will take you a couple of weeks to acclimatise but it is not problematic as some reviews have said. The reviewers are testing it for a half day or a couple of hours and may not be familiar with semi automatics or robotised manuals - whatever you want to call it.

That said I do drive my R Tronic in manual all the time but I dont do any rush hour driving so I dont really need the auto mode but I have used it without problem. Just like any manual you are going to feather the throttle if you want to take it smooth but if you want to do some serious driving the R Tronic is going to give you the quickest gearchanges and the most control with both hands on the wheel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmp10, i saw the phantom black with phantom black blades yesterday up close and it looks amazing, you wont be dissapointed.

as for the 'radical' design elements getting old fast, i agree with you, although i wouldnt consider the color one of these elements unless its something way off base (yellow, crazy blues, etc)

the one element of the r8 i feel might get old quickly is the sideblades, which is why ive decided to go body color blade no matter what color i get.

i can say from seeing the black/black combo that the body tone sideblade looks great...makes the car look longer and less gimmicky.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you are speccing a car now, you should be able to order any colour (audi exclusive program). I've seen black, daytona & silver, they all look good, I went for daytona/oxygen. But I would have prefered one of the other audi colours - dolphin or condor grey, perhaps with a colour interior rather than monochrome.

Check out the exclusive option - I think the original choices are rather boring.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I really like R-Tronic, overall better than a manual bar the sluggish shift from 1st to 2nd. If Audi could fix this then R-Tronic would be unbeatable. I am afraid the Auto mode is for wives and partners who do not drive the car much, I will never use it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the sluggishness you speak of could easily be fixed with a software update. if audi does indeed browse these forums theyll take note!

thanks for all the tips guys...i think ive decided on the r-tronic!

when you say the auto mode is for 'wives and partners' does that mean its terrible (ie jumpy, lurchy, etc) or that its just not as entertaining?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Auto mode is just sluggish, not jumpy or lurchy. You really feel the clutch being slowly engaged. It makes it easy for people who have never driven a sequential manual to get into the car and drive away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts