Audi R8 Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,332 Posts
Saignant(S mode) on the twisties, à point(A mode) around town! The S-Tronic does both very well. :cool:

Filet mignon but what cuisson? saignant(S mode) à point(A mode) bleu(M mode) or bien cuit(N mode)

You right! I was looking for a manual V8 but there were not many R8 in Asia years ago. I managed to view 5 and all were R-Tronic. The single clutch gearbox is perfectly capable, but the manual would have been more fun. :)

Come on Howie fish is good for you lol

·
Registered
665 Posts
I went back to Rtronic after owning one and moving to a 6speed gated manual. I liked the 6speed but missed the R. I really like the feel a manual with the convenience of the paddles. Once you figure it out, the R is the way to go IMHO.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Cruising yesterday at around 65. Needed to pass someone and mashed the gas pedal. It dropped to 3rd and pushed us back in our seats. Not sure if r-tronic will drop 3 gears in a heartbeat, but man, it was awesome!!

-td

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I've had both, Rtronic in my '08 V8 (supercharged). Then I had a 2017 V10+ w/ new S tronic, even faster and smoother than Gen 1. Then I went back to a 2012 GT Spyder with R tronic. I like the R better, it forces you to drive in manual mode as it isn't very good in Automatic, but with a gentle touch on the right pedal and give a slight lift shifting when driving around town and it can be driven very smoothly. When driving hard, it has that 'jerky' power feel of a sportscar I like. The smooth S was always too smooth and tempted you to drive it in Auto mode often which always led to early shifts and not holding gears. Rtronic for me.

·
Registered
454 Posts
The R needs to be driven in manual mode 100% of the time (IMO). I had 3 BMW SMG which were similar. I loved the SMG for the rawness similar to the R Tronic. But you are buying a manual trans w/out a clutch. There is a learning curve

I bought a DCT and was concerned it would not be raw enough, but I've been surprised. It has some mechanical "clunk" to it which I like. I dont want a full auto or "smooth" in a sports car.

If you are going to spend any time in auto then DCT. I drive 100% of the time in manual mode, so I could do either. I went 2014 for the facelift updates over the trans choice.

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Thank you all for your help...

I Have already driven the R-Tronic and I didn't mind it. I am coming from a 630 RWHP Hennessey Z/28. Shipped it off to new zealand a couple months ago. I will be tracking this car about 4-5 times a year for fun. So maybe the R-Tronic will do just fine for me on the track and around town. I will have to find a S-Tronic to drive shortly. Summer comes quick in the South.
Hello I thought I would chime in after hearing that you will be tracking your car. I have had 16 R8's (I'm a dealer) and I always keep one as my personal car. I have tracked Rtronic Stronic and Manual. I love the manual gearbox. LOVE!!! But that's another story. As far as tracking the Auto's I took two Stronics out on track days and got an overheated transmission light on both cars after 10-12 laps. It was only 75 degrees outside. I have had 4 Rtronics out on even hotter days and they never overheated once. Off the track I would prefer the Stronic all day but for for track duty get the Rtronic. Unless Audi has come up with a fix for the overheating issues ( I've read several other posts talking about this same overheating) I like Rtronics with the TCU Tune but it all depends on what your looking for.
Good Luck in your search

21 - 27 of 27 Posts