Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All you r-tronic owners out there why should I spec it on my new R8?

I read so many negative reviews, even one this week on a V10 r-tronic, and I know journalists are notorious at rubbishing perfectly good cars/gearboxs etc.

I own a new Smart FourTwo which gets rubbish gearbox reviews and in my opinion it is good and just takes care when driving, a bit like not making a mess of a manual gearbox!

I like the idea of r-tronic so would welcome your views as Users!

As for delivery in the UK, who knows, no V8s until ?, and a chance of a cancelled V10 at the end of the year.

Look forward to your replies.

Thanks in advance

Malc

Porsche Cayman S / Smart FourTwo

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Malc,
You can find a lot of earlier threads with discussion and opinions on this many of which are based on the experience of people who have first hand knowledge of both (and, unfortunately, many opinions based on no experience ...but I am sure you can separate them).

I have driven both R-Tronic (which I own) and the stick-shift (which I drove for two days at the Audi Sports Car Experience in Sonoma CA). My 'daily driver' is also a stick-shift so driving one doesn't scare me at all. I liked both and I don't see any disadvantages with the R-Tronic ...on the contrary, once I got used to it (it does have a couple of quirks) I love it both for daily driving and, especially, for fast driving on windy roads. I never use the R-tronic in its "auto" mode so I cannot comment on it, I always drive it in "manual" mode.

The quirks? Automatic up-shifts when you reach the rev limit unless you have selected "sport" mode. Automatic down-shifts as you slow down and come to a halt. Kick-down if you floor the accelerator. Drops into neutral if you stop (eg at a traffic light) and don't keep your foot on the foot-brake ...this happens even if you apply the hand-brake and you then have to depress the footbrake again before you can select first gear.

I have not found any of these to be a problem once I got used to them.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
People telling you which they prefer isn't really going to help you.

A common theme to watch out for in threads like this is people assuming the r-tronic is a normal torque converter type automatic with tiptronic like the porsche tiptronic or some of the other audis whereas in fact it is a sequential manual gearbox meaning that the tranmission itself is basically the same as the manual but the actual changing of the gear is automated. It does this faster than a human driver can and it blips the throttle on downshifts to give the same rev-matching benefits that you'd get by heel and toe in the manual. Anyone who talks about the car not changing gear when they want it to with the r-tronic in sport manual mode is not talking from experience.

The auto-mode of the r-tronic is just a bonus imo rather than being the point of the transmission - it's nowhere near as smooth as a true auto. To me, it really comes alive at speed and in sport manual mode. The main irritations afor me are those mentioned by swansailor above but you quickly get used to them.

There are enough used r-tronic r8's floating around out there that you should be able to get a test drive in one - but bear in mind it takes a little while to get used to driving a sequential manual.

At the end of the day you need to think about how much pleasure you personally get from changing gear yourself - some love the added involvement in the gear selection process whereas others, like me, don't rank it high enough to offset the enjoyment the r-tronic itself adds by allowing for fast, accurate gearchanges with both hands on the wheel. I would be lying if i said it didn't appeal to my gadget loving side too.

Personally, I'd either buy a used r8 or wait for a new v10 given the pricing and standard spec of the v10 - any new r8's hitting once the v10 is out are going to take a big hit come resale time imo.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The R-Tronic is an "automated" 6 speed manual. Instead of shiting and clutching yourself, a machine does it for you. Same control of gears as a manual and is faster in Sports mode. I love it.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Instead of shiting and clutching yourself
it's a good job I wasn't drinking when I read that sentence with the typo or my keyboard would have got drenched :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I currently drive an SMG II M3 and read a lot of reviews on the R Tronic.
After driving 3 manuals and 2 R tronics I personally am looking for an R Tronic myself. I loved it. Personally it seemed a lot smoother than the SMG on the M3 and worked flawlessly for me.
As they say each to their own, manual was very smooth, light clutch but I love the no clutch bit and not having to take my hands of the steering wheel.
One thing to remember thou is the box going into neutral when stationery, makes a lovely noise when you try to pull away in neutral :)

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
One thing to remember thou is the box going into neutral when stationery, makes a lovely noise when you try to pull away in neutral
and sods law you'll do it when there are lots of people around staring at the car who think you've done it intentionally to show off.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Happened to me on a test drive. Sitting at some lights watching 3 police breaking up a fight with a crowd and then theres me trying to pull away when they went green.
Gave them something else to look at. :)

Oh and MalcR8 look for a second user car they all seem to be up your end of the England I cant find a descent R tronic down in the South east at all. Well found one and they sold it 1hr after my enquiry. Dam good spec as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for all the replies, can't wait to try an R-Tronic now.

By the way the Road Tests of the V10 are starting to appear, Autocar online has a review and next months Car Magazine (published late February) and EVO both have tests (published on March 4th in the UK)

Thanks again

Malc

·
Registered
30 Posts
Audi gave me a manual r8 to drive around for a month since my r-tronic had been delayed.

In my view the manual was lots of fun to drive...it also seemed to make a better noise (but thats probably just me)

As for the R-tronic I have now owned it for 6 months or so and absolutely love it. Once you get used to it is nice to drive and much more practical for me since I live in London and am always in traffic!
I have hardly driven it in auto and if i was going to i would only drive it in auto with the sports mode on!

Its a hard choice but is down to the end user. I think all the bad press about the r-tronic is nonsense and is only valid when its in auto.

Good luck with your car

·
Registered
9 Posts
After driving both I picked the manual; its a lovely gearbox and a I think makes the car a bit more involving. Had a R Tronic for a day before deciding, and I use the R8 pretty much every day, including city traffic when I can't avoid it! One thing though...the wife can't borrow the car now!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I vastly prefer the 6MT which I own, and have driven both. I have no problem with Rtronic in principle, I have the F1 transmission in my F430. I just find the Rtronic not as advanced as the Ferrari system. Another consideration in this decision is how splendid the 6MT is in the R8. The gated shifter is wonderful in action, beautiful to look at, and is the nices manual shifter I've ever driven. On the street, not on a race track, the manual is more fun. No brainer for me, $10K cheaper.

I spec'd my R10 with the manual.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have the Rtronic and love it. It is great fun and allows you to concentrate on driving the car not on shifting gear. It is very smooth not lumpy at all. It is also easy to drive in town. However the full Auto mode is terrible, the car should not be driven in this mode if at all possible. I have had no regrets in changing my original order from manual to Rtronic (I was not sure I could put up with the clack-clack of the manual gate anyway...)

get the Rtronic- you will not regret it.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
If you look closely you will notice that those with R troniks' love them alot and those with standards love them alot too. Maybe someone out there will own both and report. The question of driving habits comes up. But we all get a little crazy with our trannies because after all ...we are R 8 owners. I love my 'Tronik. Still want to try a smokey burnout with a standard clutch though ! So I guess BOTH are best ?

·
Registered
772 Posts
both manual and r-tronic transmissions could be better. Try out the latest Porsche boxes, normal manual and PDK to get some sense of a sports car benchmark.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
both manual and r-tronic transmissions could be better. Try out the latest Porsche boxes, normal manual and PDK to get some sense of a sports car benchmark.
and you might even buy one... Porsche is still #1 in build quality & customer satisfaction.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
When it comes to Porsche," I " am old school. I still have a '53 Pre-a coupe,restored .And my 1974 911 Targa , S block,Webers,hotter cams,ported,Bursche sport exhaust,S.C. flairs,Bilstein suspension,Turbo brakes,chassis strenghtening...you get the story.Motor Meisters assembled my engine for me. Engine ready to be gassed ,started,tuned and dynoed. I must finish restoring rear underside of veh.before that so that engine doesn't sit around with gas in the new carburetors. I still have this 911 because it has that 911 sound that I grew up around.New porsche stuff is just not for me anymore - when I am able to afford the R 8 in my stable. To each his own..I say !!:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts