Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I test drove a 2017 R8 at an Audi dealer yesterday that did not have mag ride. The dealer was saying that the mag ride on the 2020 R8 you cannot adjust the suspension between comfort and sport. It just has a dynamic mode that adjusts the suspension for you.

Does anyone know if this is correct?
I would rather have a car that I can adjust the suspension how I want it rather than how the car wants it. I.e twisty UK roads I would use sport, motorway I would use comfort.

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
The gen1 had a single button behind the gear stick to engage sport mode - I never used it as the ride was just too hard and it would be virtually unbearable on British B roads. In normal mode the magnetic ride is an adaptive system that adjusts the damping according to a number of monitored parameters. It works well aside from the reduced longevity compared to standard shocks which is the reason I avoided it on my gen2

On the gen2, there is no longer a single button for the mag ride sport mode. It is controlled by the Drive Select - select Dynamic mode and the suspension will stiffen up to "sporty" or you can set up an individual mode where you can customise you selections for engine, exhaust and suspension. As far as I know there is no change for the 2019/2020 gen 2 facelift and the 2020 Owners Manual reads the same as before. Perhaps what the dealer is saying is that there is no longer a single button to engage the magride, you have to go through the drive select so it's done in combination with the other configurable systems - engine, exhaust, dynamic steering etc.

·
Registered
253 Posts
On my Gen1 (V8 S-Tronic) I have a "Sport" button that opens up the baffles for a more inspiring exhaust note, increases the rev range and slightly tightens up the steering and suspension. Then there is a shock absorber button that you can also engage to turn on "Sport Suspension" which essentially gives you track mode steering and suspension response.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi all

I test drove a 2017 R8 at an Audi dealer yesterday that did not have mag ride. The dealer was saying that the mag ride on the 2020 R8 you cannot adjust the suspension between comfort and sport. It just has a dynamic mode that adjusts the suspension for you.

Does anyone know if this is correct?
I would rather have a car that I can adjust the suspension how I want it rather than how the car wants it. I.e twisty UK roads I would use sport, motorway I would use comfort.
dealer is correct. 2020 use same suspension as the performante. in dynamic mode it stiffen up

1 - 4 of 4 Posts