Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I have the advanced parking system in my R8 and I just don't see the point in it?? Does anybody know what the rear view camera is trying to show (except what's behind me lol!!) Do you know what the blue guide lines do or help with lol? I hope I don't sound stupid, its just that it seems like it doesn't do anything or Im not using it correctly? What else does the advanced parking system do, does it show hot spots of what Im close to hitting like on BMW's, is there a setting for this?

Thanks any help is appreciated. (UK R8)

·
Registered
943 Posts
I find the rear camera to be incredibly useful. The lines show where the side of the car is and where the car will go as you turn the wheel. Notice the lines curve as the wheel turns. It's very nice for NOT curbing your wheel as well as general backing up. You can back into a spot sooooo easy with it, whether it be backing in straight or having to come in on various angles.

The car will go exactly between those two blue lines. Park it next to something and see how far your wheels and side of the car are from it. Then get in and look at the camera. This will tell you how close the lines are to the side of the car and the tires. I find the blue lines to be a few inches from the side of the car.

The shaded square areas represent distance. Really though, the beeping noise is all you need for most things. Once again, you should park in front of something and look at the distance and compare it to the camera to get a feel for it. But like I said, the beeping is sufficient.

It also has a second mode that I think is for parallel parking, but I have yet to use it. Need to test that one out to be sure of how the lines are set up.

With the camera, I can come from the most bizarre angles and twists, avoiding things if need be, and back up fast and perfectly.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I love the camera too. you see the rear much better.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
audiuk wrote:
... I hope I don't sound stupid, its just that it seems like it doesn't do anything...
Hmm..audiuk, my guess is that you either stole your R8, or won it in a lottery. Right?... Just a guess. ;)

just joking.. cheers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, NO i didn't steel my R8 (had it on order since spet 2006) and I didn't win the lottery lol! Anyway thanks for the replies, maybe I haven't used it enough to actually get a feel for the system. I mean, I have the parking sensors and camera in my range rover and it just seems that the lines don't help in R8. So do you put all your trust in the guide lines then, as reversing in the R8 is sooooo difficult??

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Yep,.. Kinda like being a flight pilot and landing UR plane using only the instruments.:eek:
Its a great system really. It gives U much much better info than U ever had before when parking anything, except maybe a bicycle. Best of luck.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Yep,.. Kinda like being a flight pilot and landing UR plane using only the instruments.:eek:
Its a great system really. It gives U much much better info than U ever had before when parking anything, except maybe a bicycle. Best of luck.
Exactly. There really is no better way to do it. I don't even use my mirrors when I back in anymore, unless I'm worried about hitting them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The cam system is awesome. Keeps me of the curbs and allows me to park exactly where I want it. Read the manual dude!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
Well, I agree with the good things said above.

However, I really don't like the blue tint overlay. It just disguises the road surface, especially when its not really bright outside. I wish there was a way to turn it off. I'd hope that a future software update addresses this (are you listening, Audi?)

The blue tint doesn't give any added information that isn't already there with the tick marks on the guide lines.

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
Pressing a button on the MMI changes the screen guides to a different format. It guides you into a parallel parking space. The explanation in the user's manual is excellent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts