Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'll be getting my R8 late in April, but Audi are lending me one for a week beforehand to take over to France (from the UK). Thing I'm concerned about is the low clearance of the car and the ramps Etc.

Has anyone taken a R8 on the Eurotunnel service?

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
If you encounter problems you can also try the ferry from Dover to Calais France.You probably already knew that. I would be so carefull in Dover with all those trucks.Those truckers show NO mercy.I was returning my rental car there when a big-rig tried to run me off. RIGHT in front of the rental return office! Luckily I chose FULL coverage insurance with NO deductibles.Also it was my first time driving R.hand drive from Heathrow.I still haven't stopped shaking! Those backward roundybouts were fun!Still do'nt know if acc. will ever show on my record.Happened 7-'08

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

I'll be getting my R8 late in April, but Audi are lending me one for a week beforehand to take over to France (from the UK). Thing I'm concerned about is the low clearance of the car and the ramps Etc.

Has anyone taken a R8 on the Eurotunnel service?
I have taken my R8 on the Eurotunnel, you will be placed on the lower level with easier access for low vehicles. Just take it easy going on and off and you will be fine.

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike,

Thanks that makes me feel better! - did you warn them earlier that you were in a R8 and they needed you to put you on the lower level or will they do that automatically from the booking (or spot the 'special needs' case when I turn up!)

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I'm planning a trip to Germany this fall and was considering flying to the UK. Rates are not too bad but since I'll have a car, how much is a RT thru the Eurotunnel?

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I am not familiar with this Eurotunnel.Is it the same as the "Chunnel"?:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mike,

Thanks that makes me feel better! - did you warn them earlier that you were in a R8 and they needed you to put you on the lower level or will they do that automatically from the booking (or spot the 'special needs' case when I turn up!)
No need to warn them.
You will be directed onto the lower level just as you board the train.
I have used the tunnel quite a few times with low slung sports cars and never had an issue.

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
711 Posts
Its no problem. I brought mine back from Germany, just a bit tight driving down the coaches to your spot where it narrows (its wider than my Discovery), but it does have little laybys where it jinks past the lavvies.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'm planning a trip to Germany this fall and was considering flying to the UK. Rates are not too bad but since I'll have a car, how much is a RT thru the Eurotunnel?
Its going to be between £50 and £200 for a Standard return, prices vary with your time slot and stay time on the continent, and they do offer a bit of flexibility if you get caught up in traffic. They also offer a Flexible fare at £300 to £400 if you're not sure of when you will appear.

Check out www.eurotunnel.co.uk. Its definitely the best way to get over to France by car. Are you heading to Neckarsulm? Or Nurburgring??

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Its going to be between £50 and £200 for a Standard return, prices vary with your time slot and stay time on the continent, and they do offer a bit of flexibility if you get caught up in traffic. They also offer a Flexible fare at £300 to £400 if you're not sure of when you will appear.

Check out www.eurotunnel.co.uk. Its definitely the best way to get over to France by car. Are you heading to Neckarsulm? Or Nurburgring??
Informative site, thanks! Much more economical than flying & renting another car. Of course, I'll have a LH drive car in the UK since I'm starting in DE. Hmmm.
Staying in Weinheim, outside Frankfurt, with friends. Neckarsulm and the new Porsche museum are high on the must see list!

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
R84ME, Try renting car in London,drive to Dover-RETURN car.Take ferry to Calais Rent another car (R. hand dr).Through Amsterdamned on to Frankfurt.This is how I do it sometimes.Last time in July-'08. But I hang with freinds in Stuttgart East.Minutes from all the stuff we like including PPI in Weiblingen. HEFFENWEITZEN RULES !!:D IF you need the cheapest way IN,I mean

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
R84ME, Try renting car in London,drive to Dover-RETURN car.Take ferry to Calais Rent another car (R. hand dr).Through Amsterdamned on to Frankfurt.This is how I do it sometimes.Last time in July-'08. But I hang with freinds in Stuttgart East.Minutes from all the stuff we like including PPI in Weiblingen. HEFFENWEITZEN RULES !!:D IF you need the cheapest way IN,I mean
That makes sense. I guess the order of travel will dictate the process. Flights to Europe are coming down like everything else & by the fall, after tourist season is over, I'm sure there will be some real deals to the UK, DE or ??.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Lately it has been cheaper to fly in and out of London.Heathrow or Gatwick.Expect a layover sometimes though.One time I slept in the closed Starbucks .Put three overstuffed chairs together ,had a Black n tan and rested up.But if you have your wife with you you might try a YOTEL-An interesting mini hotel in some terminals in England.VERY convenient.:D

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just returned from going on the Eurotunnel - they were directing me to the upper deck on the way out, but I asked to go on the lower and they didn't mind. On the way back, I was directed to the lower deck.

Absolutely no problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts