Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am contemplating making the move to an R8. It would be my only car. I don't commute to work, although my wife occassionally does. She has to park in a relatively tight underground garage. We make the occassional weekend road trip. We would use the R8 to grocery shop etc. I live in a big city with bad roads and lots of traffic.

I had a cayman S as my only car for several years and that worked fine.

How many have an R8 as your only car? How liveable is it in an urban environment with traffic, bad roads and tight parking situations?

·
Premium Member
3,014 Posts
I think using a R8 in your circumstances would be a "triumph of hope over experience". Bad roads, tight parking and grocery shopping aren't the natural habitats of the R8, buy the R8 but include in your budget a cheap daily driver for these chores.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Good advice from Dave. I also ran a Cayman S as my daily for nearly 6 years without any real problems. When I purchased my R8 I too used it as my daily but after the first year I decided it just wasn't really doing the car or me any favours. It's quite a bit wider than a Cayman, has much less storage space and uses considerably more fuel. I now have a cheapish BMW 320 as my daily and keep the R8 for drive outs, high days and holidays. It also means the R8 isn't getting exposed to road salt every winter any longer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I think using a R8 in your circumstances would be a "triumph of hope over experience". Bad roads, tight parking and grocery shopping aren't the natural habitats of the R8, buy the R8 but include in your budget a cheap daily driver for these chores.
living in a condo with one parking spot (and no availability for an additional spot) makes the additional car option pretty much undoable...but I fear you may be right about the R8 being unworkable in my circumstances...the 911 is an obvious option that would work, but having done the porsche thing for 4 years I really want a change and a naturally aspirated v10!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good advice from Dave. I also ran a Cayman S as my daily for nearly 6 years without any real problems. When I purchased my R8 I too used it as my daily but after the first year I decided it just wasn't really doing the car or me any favours. It's quite a bit wider than a Cayman, has much less storage space and uses considerably more fuel. I now have a cheapish BMW 320 as my daily and keep the R8 for drive outs, high days and holidays. It also means the R8 isn't getting exposed to road salt every winter any longer.
appreciate the very relevant experience...

·
Premium Member
3,014 Posts
I suppose a house move is out of the question ? When I bought mine we were moving apartments, so the first things I checked were the number of parking spaces, nearest power source,illumination and the inclination of the access ramps, rejecting any that didn't suit my car (much to the wife's irritation).

·
Premium Member
4,314 Posts
That sounds like a nightmare to me. :)

You'd probably be torturing the suspension - a set of magnetic ride shocks (which tend to leak) will run $8k in parts alone. Control arms are also several thousand. I wouldn't torture an R8 by driving it regularly in an urban environment.

As others have said, it's also low and wide. Doors are big, so tight spaces won't work well. The low ride height means it also doesn't work well with ramps and curbs in many situations.

Trunk space? You won't get much in there - it's small. But beyond that, it's also like an oven thanks to the fact that radiators surround it. You'll cook your groceries if they're in there for more than 10 minutes. Likewise, while you can do a weekend for two if you pack reasonably, that's about it - no week long trips where the wife wants a different pair of shoes for each day.

And if you live anywhere that gets snow, forget it - the story only gets worse from there. :)

The R8 is a great car, but despite the illusion that it's an "everyday supercar," it's a very poor daily driver for MOST people - and I think it's highly impractical to be a single car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suppose a house move is out of the question ? When I bought mine we were moving apartments, so the first things I checked were the number of parking spaces, nearest power source,illumination and the inclination of the access ramps, rejecting any that didn't suit my car (much to the wife's irritation).
you've got your priorities straight :)

we actually might be moving...but finding a property with 2 parking spots in central toronto can be a challenge

I am getting the sense that I should just hold off on the R8 dream until I am in situation where 2 cars is possible.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sounds like a nightmare to me. :)

You'd probably be torturing the suspension - a set of magnetic ride shocks (which tend to leak) will run $8k in parts alone. Control arms are also several thousand. I wouldn't torture an R8 by driving it regularly in an urban environment.

As others have said, it's also low and wide. Doors are big, so tight spaces won't work well. The low ride height means it also doesn't work well with ramps and curbs in many situations.

Trunk space? You won't get much in there - it's small. But beyond that, it's also like an oven thanks to the fact that radiators surround it. You'll cook your groceries if they're in there for more than 10 minutes. Likewise, while you can do a weekend for two if you pack reasonably, that's about it - no week long trips where the wife wants a different pair of shoes for each day.

And if you live anywhere that gets snow, forget it - the story only gets worse from there. :)

The R8 is a great car, but despite the illusion that it's an "everyday supercar," it's a very poor daily driver for MOST people - and I think it's highly impractical to be a single car.
appreciate the real talk...you make a lot of good helpful points

·
Registered
24 Posts
All depends on the road conditions in your area and the population of other vehicles on your roads.
-Jam packed parking lots frequented by people who drive beaters will not have respect for your aluminum doors.
-Potholes will ruin your bushings and or shocks in a couple months time.
-Stop and go traffic or bumper to bumper rush hours will ruin your clutch, release bearing and flywheel.
If you will be driving the car in an area with none of the above, then it will be wonderful. The quattro will make winter a more pleasant driving experience as long as you have some all-seaon tires that kick snow off of the treads.

·
Registered
957 Posts
So. . .have we talked you out of it?
The R8 is the least cumbersome supercar, but it's still impractical as a daily driver. Remember, being impractical in that manner is one of the check-boxes that define a supercar. I love mine, but I wouldn't daily it for several reasons:

1. It's completely impractical to haul anything. They say you can fit a golf bag behind the seat. . .maybe if you're a midget. (Is that not PC?)
2. Maintenance and upkeep - once a year is plenty for me.
3. Specialty - By not driving it daily, it's more special each time I do.

The R8 is a wonderful car, but most everyone that does daily drive it, has another car for getting groceries, etc.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The R8 is the least cumbersome supercar, but it's still impractical as a daily driver. Remember, being impractical in that manner is one of the check-boxes that define a supercar. I love mine, but I wouldn't daily it for several reasons:

1. It's completely impractical to haul anything. They say you can fit a golf bag behind the seat. . .maybe if you're a midget. (Is that not PC?)

The R8 is a wonderful car, but most everyone that does daily drive it, has another car for getting groceries, etc.
yes I've been scared porsche! maybe I will go 992 until I can have 2 cars...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Don't do it.

I could never nor would I want to daily my R8. For reasons above stated, and also I like to save the car for special occasions instead of making it a daily car which can lose it's appeal quickly.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a supercharged V10 and would struggle to consider that a daily option. I’ve owned multiple GT-R’s and could say they work great as a daily driver. Huge trunk and performance that is tough to match. Yes, not the most aesthetically pleasing vehicle but has to be one of the best bang for the buck vehicles out there for performance and practicality. My two cents....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
I used to daily drive my Mr2 turbo in my 20's and that was a little bit of a pain in the the butt. The R8 is 8 inches wider, lower than the Mr2 by two inches. Exotic looking so along with the right attention, you'll get some unwanted attention by the wrong crowd. My Mr2 had a decent trunk in the rear and a small one in the front whereas the R8 only has a small one in the front. I would get a daily beater if I was you....just my 2 cents

·
Registered
40 Posts
Go on and get it. Life's for the living. I use mine as an almost daily driver, living in London, traffic, bad roads and still it works for me.its a car, not a glass vase. You'd be fine.

·
Registered
158 Posts

While I agree in this circumstance (city living, bad parking situations) that an R8 as an only car isn't ideal, I disagree with a few things said here.

1. You absolutely can fit a set of clubs behind the seat, haven't tried two but I don't see why that wouldn't work. I'm 6'3" and my clubs fit fine with my seat where I normally have it, no clubs removed from the bag (standard carry bag).

2. Maintenance and upkeep really aren't bad, service interval for basically anyone (assuming no track use) should be annual at most and most services aren't particularly expensive relative to any high end car.

3. This is totally subjective, but I appreciate where you're coming from.

I routinely do grocery runs and Costco runs in my R8, I wouldn't recommend it for a family, but for a couple or a single person it's fine.

Snow is not a problem at all with good winter tires, although I will admit the salt makes me feel guilty despite PPF/ceramic/frequent washing.

Is a Porsche or a GT-R more practical - absolutely.

Would I live somewhere without a private garage and drive this car? Almost definitely not.

Do I want to pick up another car if I'm in Utah for another winter? Yes, assuming I have any money left after converting my S2000 for track use :(.

It's an amazing car that can absolutely be daily driven if you can handle a little impracticality, but OP's situation is very not ideal imo.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts