Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
how great would it be the visit the factory and see your car being built, Bentley do this in crewe and you can see it at the different stages.

Might be cool to pick it up from the factory and drive back, via the ring!

·
Registered
840 Posts
how great would it be the visit the factory and see your car being built, Bentley do this in crewe and you can see it at the different stages.

Might be cool to pick it up from the factory and drive back, via the ring!
Yeah, it would be nice to actually see the car in bits and then at various stages of it's build ... if they can put all the bits together in a matter of days ... it wuold be a cracking holiday!

You'd want a route that would take about 1,500miles (ish) to get from the factory to the 'ring ... the engine should be run in over three stages, 0 to 620miles (0 to 1,000km) at under 6,000rpm then from 621 to 1,240miles (1,001 to 2,000km) at under 7,000rpm, then from 1,241 to 1,550 miles (2,001 to 2,500km) you can slowly briefly and use up to 8,250rpm!

How you're meant to slowly and briefly use full revs is beyond me, but the RS4 owners manual clearly states how the engine should be driven for the first 2,500km. Seeing as the R8 engine will essentially be the same engine, albeit for the dry sump, I won't be thrashing mine till I've had chance to check the owners manual first.

·
Registered
190 Posts
LOL that would be fun Paul

Imagine the first forum meet at the factory all members picking up the keys. quite a photoshoot.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Forget the 2,500 km run in. It is quite likely that most engines have been on a test bed being run for a while before the car is assembled.

I've had S2's, RS4's, RS6 Plus, whilst I have been generally easy for the first few hundred miles, I've hammererd them thereafter. Even after 70,000 miles my first RS4 performed well, using only1 litre of oil every 10,000 miles. Just make sure you use a good synthetic oil.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Forget the 2,500 km run in. It is quite likely that most engines have been on a test bed being run for a while before the car is assembled.
Mmmm ... that may be the case ... but can you be sure the engine you get will have been run long enough on the test bed :confused: ... the salesperson might tell you that you don't need to run the car in, only telling you to 'take it easy' for the first couple of hundred miles ... but will the salesperson's advice be the best advice to follow :confused: ... invariably they will tell you one thing when contrary to the facts they could easily obtain, it will not be the best advice they could give you.

By way of example ... BMWs 3.2 M power engine has to be 'run in' and the owners manual details the limits to be observed for the first 2,000km. Many 3.2 M power engines in cars whose owners thought along the lines of ... sod that I'm just going to 'give it some beans' after a reduced distance 'run in' ... ended up with the car back at BMW and the engine having to be re-built :eek: ... while this will obviously not always be the case ... would you risk it :confused:

However, with such a large investment of money ... I'll be double checking the book and guidelines laid down by Audi themselves ... not the salesperson. It won't hurt to run the engine in ... 'according to the book'. If you plan a weekend, or two, away in the UK ... you could easily clock up the required 'running in' distance in a couple of weeks. If you live in the South, take a trip to the Yorkshire Moors, or the Lake District. If you live up North, take a trip to the West Country, or South Wales.

Just my two pence worth :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts