Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ok, that's surprising. It didn't take much effort or time to get there either.

Kreso, that was a standard R8 wasn't it?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Exactly 200MPH - optimistic speedometer perhaps? And at least a minute at over 185MPH (more than 3 miles), we can only dream of doing that in the US!

·
Registered
128 Posts
.......we can only dream of doing that in the US!......
Bonneville is the answer!
just remove all the loose stuff from the car, pass tech, and go for it!
Porsche did that 20 years ago with a 928-4v and made it to the 180's.
then wash all the salt off (for the next 3 weeks!) and drive it home.

james

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, that's surprising. It didn't take much effort or time to get there either.

Kreso, that was a standard R8 wasn't it?
Steve,

It is standard production September 2007 R8. Did you see the revs in sixth gear? New R8s(unofficiallly from September 2007 production) are using limiter in sixth gear at full 8250 revs. First production run and press cars were using rev limiter set at 7750rpm in sixth gear. Top speed of some of the press cars were around 306km/h-308km/h on digital speedo. New ones are running 322km/h-324km/h on digital speedo(real speed 303km/h-305km/h).

No doubt about it-R8(specially from September 2007) is very fast car indeed!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Steve,

It is standard production September 2007 R8. Did you see the revs in sixth gear? New R8s(unofficiallly from September 2007 production) are using limiter in sixth gear at full 8250 revs. First production run and press cars were using rev limiter set at 7750rpm in sixth gear. Top speed of some of the press cars were around 306km/h-308km/h on digital speedo. New ones are running 322km/h-324km/h on digital speedo(real speed 303km/h-305km/h).

No doubt about it-R8(specially from September 2007) is very fast car indeed!
Do the new cars come with clean underpants:)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Sorry, I think its bull..................

1. Where is the camera mounted ?? Is it mounted directly on the drivers chest pointing at the dials ! And how exactly do you drive at speed whilst holding a camera perfectly still with two hands on the wheel ?

2. There is no "correction" or movement of the steering wheel. How do you drive at 200 mph with no need to make minor corrections ?

3. At one point, when he takes his foot off the gas peddle, speed drops 50 Km/hr in a few seconds, with no braking !

4. There is no sense of acceleration. He accelerates hard, but there is no perceptable (rearward) movement of the camera.

I believe this film was taken whilst the car was on a rolling road dyno, during engine bhp/torque tests.

So, it proves nothing at all in relation to acceleration or top speed.............

Nice video and wishful thinking, but that's about it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
1. Where is the camera mounted ?? Is it mounted directly on the drivers chest pointing at the dials ! And how exactly do you drive at speed whilst holding a camera perfectly still with two hands on the wheel ?

2. There is no "correction" or movement of the steering wheel. How do you drive at 200 mph with no need to make minor corrections ?

. . . . I believe this film was taken whilst the car was on a rolling road dyno, during engine bhp/torque tests.
Huh? Did we even watch the same video?

The camera was clearly attached to the steering wheel, atop or near the center horn button. The entire picture spins along with the steering wheel, picking up the foot pedals several times. Also, the quick left-right back-and-forth movement of guages indicate the steering is being put through constant small corrections.

These pictures were definitely being taken while this car was on the road. It may well be that the speedometer is not accurately calibrated at high speeds (few cars' are), so the readings may not be accurate. But I think it's clear we are seeing what the guages were actually displaying during a high-speed drive.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Huh? Did we even watch the same video?

The camera was clearly attached to the steering wheel, atop or near the center horn button. The entire picture spins along with the steering wheel, picking up the foot pedals several times. Also, the quick left-right back-and-forth movement of guages indicate the steering is being put through constant small corrections.

These pictures were definitely being taken while this car was on the road. It may well be that the speedometer is not accurately calibrated at high speeds (few cars' are), so the readings may not be accurate. But I think it's clear we are seeing what the guages were actually displaying during a high-speed drive.
You are absolutely right.
You will find on youtube another video from another reaching 322kmh on the autobahn at night and without any chiptuning.

·
Registered
313 Posts
only take out the limiter, I had mine removed by a software upgrade, all R8's are limted to 301 km/h because of german law's ( tire homologation ).
Can be upgraded very easy, if you have someone who can update your software.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts