Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone,

Have a question. 1 month ago I bought Tune2Air dongle that i connected to media outlet near my hand brake, at the back of car interior, between seats. Not sure how is that connector called but ill show you the dongle in picture below. Dongle is used to allow my phone to connect via Bluetooth to the car and allows me to play Spotify via infotaiment system. Recently dongle stopped working, but i am not sure is it dongle getting rekt or something with electronics is broken. I took dongle at home and connected via miniUSB cable, it has also miniUSB connector (probably used my manufacturer to modify it) and dongle lights started pinging, indicating its probably working, at least via miniUSB connector.

I also tested in car, instead dongle i put in connector that have USB end, and tried plug in USB cable and connected it to my phone just to see if my phone will maybe start charging (not sure if its possible but tried it) and on my phone there was no indication it was connected anywhere.

My last test i can do, i see previous owner also have iphone charger that can be connected to that outlet but i dont use iPhone, so ill connect that one and then to iPhone and see if there is some result.

IF there is something broken is fixing it complicated ? maybe some circut breaker just need replacement or smth, not sure what to do. Also sorry for my shitty English.

photo_2021-07-14_02-19-58.jpg

TLDR:

How do i check if my outlet (WMA3000A AMI/MDI/MMI Connector?)
on car where i connect this big black connector in working?

Cheers!

Its audi R8, 2015 year, Type42 (first generation with facelifts)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, im still not sure if my Tune2Air is dead or MMI port have issues. I did reboot MMI, found out how to do it on my Audi r8 2015 (first generation, type42), its Radio + SETUP, Tune2Air still not working. Also no blue lights, basically Tune2Air when plugged to MMI port act like its dead. I heard plenty of issues with it sometime, but its only solution it seems.

Also this is my permanent screen when i go to Media, its always on "Initialising, not sure if thats normal or not, dont remember how was before i bought Tune2Air. This is the screen when Tune2Air is pluged in, and pluged off, its always this screen. I can just make it become orange instead white if i do MMI reset to default settings and clear all user data.

photo_2021-07-16_00-37-21.jpg

Should i try getting new Tune2Air or what do you guys recommend? How do you deal with lack of Spotify or any other media player from phone or other device?

Is it possible to replace with 2nd market MMI maybe that have phone bluetooth support right of the bat, that isnt just phone calls ?

Cheers!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a tune2air as well. Can't hurt trying a new tune2air. Also check if the connector pins are ok on the tune2air. There was once one of the pins was slightly misaligned on mine. I straightened it out and everything works. Pins are fragile btw.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have a tune2air as well. Can't hurt trying a new tune2air. Also check if the connector pins are ok on the tune2air. There was once one of the pins was slightly misaligned on mine. I straightened it out and everything works. Pins are fragile btw.
Thank you, will try. But odd thing is. My tune2air was plugged in on my car all the time since i bought it. And one day it just stopped working completely. No blue lights on dongle when connected, device show no signs of life. If i connect it at home via miniUSB though, it works, i mean it's useless then but when connected to this other connector on Tune2Air to my pc, it start glowing and i can even connect my phone to it, although it wont do anything coz its not meant to be pc bluetooth device.

Weird

ALSO a question just to make sure. How do your reboot MMI system on your R8? Type 42. It rebooted for me on RADIO + SETUP i guess thats the only reboot and good one.

·
Registered
174 Posts
But odd thing is. My tune2air was plugged in on my car all the time since i bought it. And one day it just stopped working completely. No blue lights on dongle when connected, device show no signs of life. If i connect it at home via miniUSB though, it works, i mean it's useless then but when connected to this other connector on Tune2Air to my pc, it start glowing and i can even connect my phone to it, although it wont do anything coz its not meant to be pc bluetooth device.
Aaaaah, I mean, it sounds like something's gone awry then. I've also got the Tune2Air and it's definitely not the best solution but it does do a pretty good job for the money. If it's suddenly stopped working but you can prove it takes power etc then I would guess that either:
a) The Tune2Air connections (the non-miniUSB one that plugs into the car) has failed, or
b) the cable which goes from the MMI port to the Tune2Air has failed, or
c) The MMI port has packed up

I'd try and eliminate those in that order. If you have an elderly iPhone (gen 3/4/5-ish) with the pre-lightening connection you can plug that straight in and use it like the Tune2Air and if it works then you know everything on the car side is working. I don't know if there's a fuse or anything for this part of the car but I'd double check it in case it's that straight forward. Could also be that the cable's come loose perhaps? They're pretty fiddly things and in a car which is moving around it might have dislodged.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aaaaah, I mean, it sounds like something's gone awry then. I've also got the Tune2Air and it's definitely not the best solution but it does do a pretty good job for the money. If it's suddenly stopped working but you can prove it takes power etc then I would guess that either:
a) The Tune2Air connections (the non-miniUSB one that plugs into the car) has failed, or

I'd try and eliminate those in that order. If you have an elderly iPhone (gen 3/4/5-ish) with the pre-lightening connection you can plug that straight in and use it like the Tune2Air and if it works then you know everything on the car side is working. I don't know if there's a fuse or anything for this part of the car but I'd double check it in case it's that straight forward. Could also be that the cable's come loose perhaps? They're pretty fiddly things and in a car which is moving around it might have dislodged.
Yeah thats what i was thinking. I did try at audi dealership ask service guy to ask someone to borrow iphone from someone working there just that we try to plug it in, as i have dongle that connect to MMI and also can connect to iphone from charging connector and when we connected iphone there it shown some message but needed to be unlocked to do something with it, it wasnt our phone so we couldnt unlock it but iphone recognised it connected to something.

Then other day i asked friend that have iphone and connected his, and it didnt show anything (might be due to being different version of iphone) so that confused me coz first iphone shown sign of connection, and 2nd iphone didnt, but as you said, might be due to different iphone versions.

Is there any other alternative to tune2air? Is it possible to replace whole MMI lmao that have integrated bluetooth but one that can play music xD this is retarded.

I'll do more testing and try get new tune2air from amazon if possible.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys, a final request if anyone can take a picture or know it from their MMI with never Type42 R8's -- how does your media interface on MMI look like?

I cant remember is this normal or not -- When i go to "Media" on my MMI, as seen on my posted picture its always "Initialising..." -- When i click on it it become white colored and i cannot unselect it (that is even when my tune2air is unplugged) and basicaly my "Media" is we could say stuck on it, but it could be due to being only thing selectable on "Media" tab.

TLDR: On my media, AMI is always shown as "Initialising...", first is orange, as its unselected, when i select it it become white color and same thing. That is standard look of it, without any Tune2Air involved. When tune2air is pluged in, its same thing.

Why i ask you this -- im not sure if this whole Media interface got bugged out and is it normal if it show "Initialising..." whole time. What do you guys see when u go on "Media" when u are not using any external dongles or anything.

Cheers!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

About this -- i have in car from previous owner some connector that connects to MMI and convert pre-lightening connector to lightening connector. Although what i wrote earlier also its weird, when i pluged 1 iphone at dealership it shown some signs of connectivity to MMI, on phone we got some message, but when i my friend connected his iphone there was nothing, no response on the phone, both were are using lightening connection.

Also, how do i know if my RNS-E MMI (i learned audi R8 have RNS-E system) is 3G 2G 4G? how do they declare this labels, what is this 3G 2G even? Is it those internet connection labels, like with phones when they are 4G or now 5G even?

+ is it suggested i upgrade RNS-E firmware to the latest date if thats possible, who can do that or where can i get the firmware from or should i ask in Audi to do it for me?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so some background on the topic. Used tune2air on my audi r8 2015 (gen1, type42). It was plugged into AMI port. It workee for 3 months and all of a sudden it stopes working, device shown no sign of life and on dashboard from MMI when i go to "Media" ot show my AMI is "Initialising..." and its stuck for a week on that. Same message is shown regardless if i have my tune2air plugged in AMI port or not. Its always same message shown. I recently bought another new tune2air and same issue. So devices must be ok.

That mean that AMI port is not working.

Is it possible that fuse is dead?

Also which fuse is for AMI, maybe i could try also removing and adding back in a fuse for MMI to reset power completely from MMI, maybe it fixes "Initialising..." issue.

What could be the issue, im worried my port isnt dead or smth, not sure how expensive replacing it could be, if fuse is just dead it will be cheap.

Cheers!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts