Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received the following email as a result of my direct inquiry to the R8 Product Manager, AoA:

Hi John,

hope yu are well.

The R8 clutch lifetime is on average 150.000 miles.
But as you can imagine the duration of the clutch depends always on the driving style and capability of the the driver.

The hours of labour that are rquired to change the oil&filter are as followed:
- 5000 miles service takes 1.3 hours
- 15000 miles service takes 2.2 hours
As you know the R8 has a dry sump lubrication and therefore it takes longer that for istance on an A8.

Best regards,

Patrick Lins
Sales Manager quattro GmbH

·
Registered
73 Posts
I received the following email as a result of my direct inquiry to the R8 Product Manager, AoA:

Hi John,

hope yu are well.

The R8 clutch lifetime is on average 150.000 miles.
But as you can imagine the duration of the clutch depends always on the driving style and capability of the the driver.

The hours of labour that are rquired to change the oil&filter are as followed:
- 5000 miles service takes 1.3 hours
- 15000 miles service takes 2.2 hours
As you know the R8 has a dry sump lubrication and therefore it takes longer that for istance on an A8.

Best regards,

Patrick Lins
Sales Manager quattro GmbH
150,000 Miles ... Really ? that seems like a huge amount of miles to me for ANY car ?

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
A tad different to 10k then.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Thanks for passing this along. This makes much more sense than what that tech was saying.

These oil change times seem much more reasonable, particularly given that they include other service points.

150,000 miles sounds optimistic for clutch life, even in the best of circumstances, but at least it's reassurance that Audi is not anticipating abnormally short life in the normal course of use.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just posted on another thread about this clutch rumour. Maybe I'm a naive optimist but I dont believe the rumours of a 10 k shelf life. I dont believe Audi would compromise thier excellent build quality reputation by having a "Mickey Mouse" clutch in their flagship vehicle. I sooo hope I'm right!!:confused:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thank you for sharing your info.

I just took delivery on Wednesday of my new R8 and asked the local sales rapresentative about the warranty coverage.

He stated than in Switzerland, were I bought mine,the 3 years 100.000 km service and warranty package covers the clutch as well.

I do not know if that is true for every country.

Cheers

·
Registered
220 Posts
Guys, can we update how many kms or miles individual members have achieved so far in both R tronic and manual versions with original clutch and brief overview if clutches replaced about driving style i.e. track work, launch control etc etc.
Rgs Con.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
22k with 4 track days and last check revealed minimal wear.

I have never dumped the clutch in mine(burnouts)and generally always heel and toe even on the street.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
In the ElsaWin illustration the clutch looks a beefy item. I understand it has two friction plates and therefore four friction surfaces to 'absorb' the wear.

150,000 miles may be optimistic but i see no reason why it should not last as long or longer than a 'normal' performance car clutch if driven properly and not abused.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
just under 10k miles of mostly fast, twisty road driving with constant speed changes each journey and all is well - touch wood.

only issues I've had is a clutch overheating warning when I had to do [what felt like] a million point turn on a very narrow steep bank - the r-tronic was struggling with the whole multiple reversing up an incline thing. also had a slightly weird one with reversing over a speed bump like ramp where the car simply refused to reverse when the rears were already over and the fronts were resting just in front of the bump - it needed momentum built up to pull the front wheels over the crest. it's like they have some kind of safety in play that stops additional power being dialed in when a certain level of resistance is met.

·
Registered
220 Posts
22k with 4 track days and last check revealed minimal wear.

I have never dumped the clutch in mine(burnouts)and generally always heel and toe even on the street.
Thanks Gazza

·
Registered
220 Posts
just under 10k miles of mostly fast, twisty road driving with constant speed changes each journey and all is well - touch wood.

only issues I've had is a clutch overheating warning when I had to do [what felt like] a million point turn on a very narrow steep bank - the r-tronic was struggling with the whole multiple reversing up an incline thing. also had a slightly weird one with reversing over a speed bump like ramp where the car simply refused to reverse when the rears were already over and the fronts were resting just in front of the bump - it needed momentum built up to pull the front wheels over the crest. it's like they have some kind of safety in play that stops additional power being dialed in when a certain level of resistance is met.
Thanks Randombloke interesting info...

·
Registered
943 Posts
I don't launch my car, have tracked it several times, sometimes drive it hard, usually drive it normal. Regular driving I apply a little gas as I use the clutch, shift, release smoothly. Probably what everyone would consider normal.

I have 11K miles on my car and the clutch feels perfect. Haven't noticed any difference in anything.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Guys its time to update how many miles or kms you have achieved under normal and race conditions without clutch trouble. Just to keep abreast of what we can expect.
Also can we confirm what the difference may be between the V8 clutch and the V10 if any.
Thanks
Con.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts

Only just read this post. That is precisely the same effect I got when trying to drive away with all 4 sets of pads rusted to the discs the first time I left the car unused for a few weeks in the winter.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Next visit to dealer,I'll ask if they can reveal amount of clutch used up.I have the R-tronik and have had no problems.15.5 K miles of pleasure.

·
Registered
42 Posts
R8 V8 Manual....37k miles....Over 30 track days and almost all of those 37k miles are hard miles...clutch is still fine...Looks like i'll get 100k+ easily

1 - 20 of 28 Posts