1/4 Mile 12.8 @ 112 mph
5-60 - 4.8
70-0 - 160 feet
300 ft skidpad - .97
Willow Springs International Raceway Lap Time - 1:35.76/94.0 mph
Lane change (mph) - 66.7
Observed miles per gallon - 14

Highs
Ballet-dancer balance and grace, eager responses, telepathic steering, internal combustion rarely sounds better.

Lows
Proportions awkward from some angles, uncomfortable dead-pedal height, blind in the rear quarters.

Verdict
Sports-car perfection from an unexpected source.

2nd Place
Porsche 911 Turbo - 210 Points
Base Price - $123,760
Tested Price - $141,510
0-60 - 3.8
0-100 - 9.2
1/4 Mile 12.2 @ 117 mph
5-60 - 4.8
70-0 - 159 feet
300 ft skidpad - .98
Willow Springs International Raceway Lap Time - 1:38.53/91.3 mph
Lane change (mph) - 65.0
Observed miles per gallon - 14

Highs
Omigawd thrust, never-fade brakes, limpet grip, gorgeous interior treatment, maximum Porsche mystique.

Lows
Spooky at the limits of adhesion, high interior noise levels, Prussian ride quality, snoot scrapes on driveway ramps.

Verdict
For 911 addicts who have no wish to be cured, Porsche Sturm und Drang just doesn't get any better than this.

3rd Place
Aston Martin V8 Vantage - 191 Points
Base Price - $117,150
Tested Price - $129,110
0-60 - 5.1
0-100 - 12.3
1/4 Mile 13.5 @ 106 mph
5-60 - 5.8
70-0 - 165 feet
300 ft skidpad - .93
Willow Springs International Raceway Lap Time - 1:40.73/89.4 mph
Lane change (mph) - 64.1
Observed miles per gallon - 13

Highs
Appealingly edgy update on classic GT-coupe shape, smooth operator on rough payment, irresistible V8 growl.

Lows
A bit too much body roll, nervous under hard braking, short on muscle among these heavy lifters.

Verdict
A stylish GT sophisticate that's a little out of its depth among these thoroughbreds.

So, German Sport Auto, UK's EVO and USA C&D reached the same final conclusion-the car with the best chassis of all sportscars currently on the market is R8!

I can hardly wait for mine till October...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey Kreso, good to find you here (I'm DoctorD off Rennteam).

I had a chat with Richard Meaden today about the EVO lap time and in his own words "I was v surprised how quickly the R8 went, but it did feel v good".

When I asked him if I should buy one, he described it as one of my 'better decisions', so I'll take that as affirmative.

Mine should be with me in December.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Kreso, good to find you here (I'm DoctorD off Rennteam).

I had a chat with Richard Meaden today about the EVO lap time and in his own words "I was v surprised how quickly the R8 went, but it did feel v good".

When I asked him if I should buy one, he described it as one of my 'better decisions', so I'll take that as affirmative.

Mine should be with me in December.
Hey Steve, welcome on the R8talk! This is excellent forum for true R8 enthusiasts-glad to have you with us here!

BTW, guys Steve is a small legend... He is occasionally reviewing cars with EVO magazine so, he will gave us pretty usefull information not only about R8 but, about other sportscars as well.

I am looking forward to your R8 vs M3(e92) comparison somewhere in late autumn...:)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks Kreso, I will also be putting the R8 on track and letting a few others experience how competitive it drives when compared to its neighbours in Stuttgart.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Welcome Steve!

And in Auto Review the R8 is placed 1st aswell (4S 2nd, 3rd AMV8)

The performance is absolutely stunning. Do you have the R8 config Kreso (manual/R-Tronic, suspension etc.)
And the 0-100mph (=0-160) matches the Auto Review figure (10.4 vs 10.3) So that seems reliable too!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Manual with standard suspension.
Very nice! Still I'm hoping that magnetic ride will be developed further (software), the comfortable ride is important to me. And it's ofcourse a nice gadget :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Great post kreso! Good to see you back and good to see you have restored your faith in the R8, since you were a bit dissapointed the last few weeks. These are great times indeed! Hopefully my dad's car will arrive next week.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Great post kreso! Good to see you back and good to see you have restored your faith in the R8, since you were a bit dissapointed the last few weeks. These are great times indeed! Hopefully my dad's car will arrive next week.
Next week? When did he order his car?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Around november '06. It should be one of the first to arrive in Belgium (mind the SHOULD) because I don't think he had had confirmation of a specific date yet (will ask him tonight).

·
Registered
564 Posts
Kreso, are you officially back "in love" with the R8 again? You had a falling out a while ago it seems...
:D lol

welcome on board Steve and looking forward to more of these reliable info like Kreso or Paul used to supply us with ;)

and good to hear that finally the press is realizing and experiencing what the guys with the four rings have managed to achieve.. even with all the hassle of late deliveries and not fully speccable cars at first, ... I forgave them all this... but with these new comparisons.. ITs like... its just marvellous...

these new lap times and other figures make the last 6 weeks very hard for me ... cant wait,.. like xmas times 8

:eek:

·
Registered
604 Posts
The Evo article is superb.

They are usually very pro Porsche but they have put it well ahead of the C4S ,Vantage and M6.

It is the most positive road test I have seen. In comparison with Autocar where I felt it was damned by faint praise.

Roll on Q1!!!!!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kreso, are you officially back "in love" with the R8 again? You had a falling out a while ago it seems...
First,
I had a another test drive with R8 two weeks ago. My own findings are very, very positive ones...
Magnetic Ride is actually the best solution for most of us here. Manual is the must IMHO. Standard brakes are excellent, Ceramics still need some tuning IMO...
To sum the things up-YES, I am again "deeply" in love with R8.

·
Registered
381 Posts
First,
I had a another test drive with R8 two weeks ago. My own findings are very, very positive ones...
Magnetic Ride is actually the best solution for most of us here. Manual is the must IMHO. Standard brakes are excellent, Ceramics still need some tuning IMO...
To sum the things up-YES, I am again "deeply" in love with R8.
Excellent, you had me worried for a bit... when one of the strongest proponents of the car starts to doubt it, its a bit worrying!

I've specced Mag Ride, Manual and standard brakes. :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts