Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From a former competitor:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080223.003/updated-aston-martin-v8-vantage-and-db9-for-geneva

Looks like the V8 Vantage will be getting a 4.7L upgrade, producing roughly the same as the R8 (+40hp). With similar weights, I would guestimates improvements to be along the same line as a Prodrive Vantage (+45hp, +25ft-lb): 0-60 in the 4.3 sec range, 1/4 mile under 13 sec. And some interior enhancements (ala DBS) to be shown at Geneva.

So who is tempted? ;) Definitely has the looks, prestige, exclusivity, great sounding exhaust, and probably not as hard to find! (Read: under MSRP). Performance wise, it was always a good (great?) handler, just a bit underpowered. This seems to take care of its one big flaw since introduction. Hrmmmmmm.......

Anyone know what's the forecast like for the new RS4, aka, the updated engine for the R8 V8? Ah, decisions.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I think any new RS4 is a while away as they have just started the RS6 rollout. Audi say they will have only one RS model running at one time. If the ECU tuners are correct there isn't a huge amount more they can get out of V8 so I reckon they will leave it alone and use the V10 as the upgrade. My opinion only not fact!

I looked at the Vantage - who didn't. Just not sure about the "alleged" fragility and the slightly up your nose dealerships.

I am easy to dislike ;) and look like one of the undeserving poor but I still had £90k in the back pocket - should have sucked up to the punter a little bit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
mmmm... this is very tempting indeed. I've been going back and forth between the vantage and the R8. Still haven't parted with my money, was looking towards the R8 V10. If you have any links with more info, do post them here.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Astons are Fords! (or is that Jags only) I don't like Fords.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Actually they got bought out by the Prodrive Consortium a while back. Ford still have a shareholding though.

But remember Bugatti is VW ,Ferrari and Maserati are Fiats

·
Registered
617 Posts
And Audi shares its parts bin with Skoda and Seat.
Basically all cars are mongrels, the R8 is no exception?

Still does not stop me thinking that it is the best thing since sliced bread.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I think the Vantage is terrible looking. If I'm going Aston, it's a DB9 or, more than likely, a DBS.

DB9 interior is weak for it's price. DBS solves that problem though.

Price on the DBS is still way too much above the DB9 though.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Interesting that Aston Martin salesman are the same in the home country as they are in the US. Hard to get one to give you the time of day! I don't think they have THAT much to be snobs about. Wasn't David Brown originally a tractor builder? Like Lamborghini if memory serves correctly.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I like the look of the Aston V12 Vantage RS, should they decide to put that into production I could be tempted...................
But it's likely to be a bit more than the DBS pricewise, so I'd better get sweet talking the wife now!!

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
The genetics of the Aston-Martin, to remind the Vantage salesman if he gets uppity! Actually, Aston Martin history does predate David Brown, but he is the one who revived the marque after WWII and gave it it's modern direction. I drove a DBII (David Brown!) many years ago and compared to the MGs and Alfas I was driving at the time it reminded me of a tractor!

David Brown was a patternmaker and began business in Huddersfield, England in 1860. The company's primary business was the manufacture of gears. In a partership with Harry Ferguson in 1936, 1350 Ferguson-Brown tractors were built. The partnership soon dissolved, however, and Ferguson left for the United States (later partnering with Ford). The first David Brown tractor, the VAK1, was shown in 1939. Initial orders were for 3000 units, however World War II reduced the actual number built to only 1000. Full tractor production resumed after the war. In 1972, David Brown Tractors became a subsidary of Tenneco and operated as a division of JI Case. In 1983, tractors were no longer built under the David Brown name, but the Case name. The Meltham factory, where all David Brown tractors had been built, was closed in 1988.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts