Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think we can safely say that Audi will see the following as being the competition for the R8 ... either as the next level up ... the level below ... or as alternative competition ... in or near the R8 market sector ... this is probably more geared towards the UK market than the USA or the European mainland ...

Main R8 market sector competition:
Porsche 911 C4S
Mercedes-Benz SL 500
Maserati GranSport
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Jaguar XKR
Alternative competition near the R8 market sector:
BMW 645 Ci Coupe / Convertible
Chevrolet Corvette
MG X Power SV
Cadillac XLR
Jaguar XKR Convertible
BMW M5/M6
Mercedes-Benz CLS 500
Porsche 911 C4S Cabriolet
Possible down graders:
Dodge Viper SR-T 10
Ferrari F430
Lamborghini Gallardo
Mercedes-Benz SL 55 AMG
Porsche 911 Turbo
Possible up graders:
Lexus SC 430
Mercedes-Benz SLK 55 AMG
Porsche Boxster S
Porsche Cayman S

Suffice it to say Audi employees will be able to see this in print for themselves ... if they look at the appropriate Audi documentation ... :cool:

·
Registered
647 Posts
Only true competitors are IMHO:

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
BMW M6
Porsche 997 Carrera S
Porsche 997 Carrera 4S
Porsche 997 GT3

Not close enough(price wise and honestly performance wise as well) are:

Ferrari F430
Lamborghini Gallardo
Porsche 997 turbo

Not true competitors(slush box heaven!) are:

Jaguar XKR
Mercedes SL500

Unique position(best value for money, but I would never buy it although this car deserves biggest respect):

Corvette Z06

·
Registered
340 Posts
Only true competitors are IMHO:

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
BMW M6
Porsche 997 Carrera S
Porsche 997 Carrera 4S
Porsche 997 GT3
Kreso, IMHO trule competitor are:

Aston Martin V8
BMW M6
Porsche GT3

Carrera S and 4S are excluded because of different price point.

·
Registered
340 Posts
which kind of highlights the point that Audi are pushing the ceiling on what they are charging for an R8.
Agreed. This is a halo car to Audi so they can take a lot more risk in pricing. Overall, I think the price is ok because as a "total" package, the R8 is slightly superior than its above mentioned competitors and is being priced as such.:eek:

·
Registered
772 Posts
Yep it also concerns me that once the halo effect has gone and more cars appear on the 2nd hand market the strong residuals I had originally expected might not be there. My 997S has been excellent in this respect because 2 1/2 years and 20,000 miles on its still virtually like new and never missed a beat. At current value of say £50k (30% deprec from £70k new) its a hell of a lot of car for the money and probably only lived 10% of its life. But will an £85k R8 last as well and have such a strong following after such time, I'm seriously beginning to have my doubts.

Still want one of course but think its getting more likely I wont keep it too long - I've got my name down for a Panamera in 2008/09 so lets hope Porsche get the styling right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts