Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on Xmas day, i took a drive (600km, 372miles) to visit family. About 400km (248miles) into the trip the car started doing some odd things.
Exhaust note had a significant change
Then the vehicle dropped from 7th to 3rd
Then it died
I managed to coast the vehicle for a while till I could pull over in a decent spot on the side of the road
After calling Audi Assist (who were of no help) and a few other places like AA and my insurance, i was eventually assisted.
Closest audi was 130km (80miles) from me, which was roughly 90min away
I figured it could be a fuel problem - the company that came out to help put in 10litres of fuel, and the vehicle jumped back into life.
The weired part was that the cluster was showing me I had just over the reserve mark - and the distance to go was 90km - I was 10km away from the next fuel station.

After filling up, car was fine. On my return trip however, I had to constantly fill up because I couldn't trust the gauges - and rightfully so. After travelling 200km (124miles), the gauge showed that I had 3/4 fuel left. But I was able to fill up 38litres.

So car has been with Audi for a while. Electronics are showing no faults. They test the instrument cluster and found nothing. They in the process of getting to the fuel tank, which apparently is a mammoth of a job because this is a spyder. And apparently if they have to remove the fuel tank, then it means removing the engine.
They also mentioned that they found 2 fuel cells - one cell was empty, which means its not receiving fuel from the other.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
I posted an old thread with this same issue. If you attempt to fill the tank to the very, VERY, top it apparently damages the reading on the gauge. I showed 1/4 th remaining when I was empty. Dealer had to send to Germany to get replacement part. That took four weeks. I would fill up every 200 miles until the replacement part was installed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I posted an old thread with this same issue. If you attempt to fill the tank to the very, VERY, top it apparently damages the reading on the gauge. I showed 1/4 th remaining when I was empty. Dealer had to send to Germany to get replacement part. That took four weeks. I would fill up every 200 miles until the replacement part was installed.
I recall reading that thread just after this happened.
But I don't ever fill my tank that way. Well I hope the petrol attendant doesn't do that.

What part exactly did you change?

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
I am unsure what part was changed. It was in 2012. Your dealer service advisor will know.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heard back from Audi. There is an issue with the fuel tank itself and the entire unit needs to be replaced

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Sounds expensive.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to hear that. Sounds expensive.
They estimating it at around R150 000 ($10 000)
Audi SA gave the go ahead, so its being covered under the Audi Motorplan. Thankfully I extended the plan last year to 10year/100 000km. Otherwise would have been 4 months out of warranty when this happened

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
They estimating it at around R150 000 ($10 000)
Audi SA gave the go ahead, so its being covered under the Audi Motorplan. Thankfully I extended the plan last year to 10year/100 000km. Otherwise would have been 4 months out of warranty when this happened
I bet you are relieved you decided to renew your warranty. Big expense nicely avoided.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts