Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Audi R8 V10 Black Spyder
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Audi R8 without a tow hook parked in my garage. The car met with a small accident where it made impact with a garage door at 5-10mph.

The front driver side hood, bumper is damaged and the two pipes from the radiator seem to be broken. The low coolant warning light is also on consistent with all the coolant leaking out of the car.

Need to get it towed to a repair shop. What is the best service to pursue in the United States for this? I am in SF Bay Area in California.

Automotive lighting Light Audio equipment Bumper Auto part

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
This hurts, especially since I own the same car.
I can't help you from Belgium. In your case I probably would choose an Audi dealer who has experience with R8 repair.
You have a tow eye in the box at the bottom of your trunk. It should be installed behind the lower right front grille. Of course it is only meant for pulling the car on the towing car. Be careful if you have an automatic gearbox. Put it in the N position with the key in the on position if not the electronic parking brake could be activated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would find an Audi approved collision center to do the repair work. Most Audi dealers don’t have body shops but can recommend some good ones. In Minnesota, where I live there are only two Audi approved collision centers. I had an S4 that my wife backed into a rock at the end of someone’s driveway that did passenger side rear quarter damage. The collision center did the cosmetic repair but left the suspension repair to the local Audi dealer. The repair work was very good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This hurts, especially since I own the same car.
I can't help you from Belgium. In your case I probably would choose an Audi dealer who has experience with R8 repair.
You have a tow eye in the box at the bottom of your trunk. It should be installed behind the lower right front grille. Of course it is only meant for pulling the car on the towing car. Be careful if you have an automatic gearbox. Put it in the N position with the key in the on position if not the electronic parking brake could be activated.
Thanks a lot for your words. I love this car so much that it's brutally painful. I can put the car in N since the battery is not dead yet. But how do I find the tow hook in the car? My Frunk didn't come with a tool kit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would find an Audi approved collision center to do the repair work. Most Audi dealers don’t have body shops but can recommend some good ones. In Minnesota, where I live there are only two Audi approved collision centers. I had an S4 that my wife backed into a rock at the end of someone’s driveway that did passenger side rear quarter damage. The collision center did the cosmetic repair but left the suspension repair to the local Audi dealer. The repair work was very good.
I found an Audi approved collision repair shop and it's close to my home location where the car is parked. However, my car is in an underground parking garage and I am unable to drive it. Is there a service that helps tow such special vehicles from underground parking spots?

Any help here would be awesome. I could put the car in N and push it myself but will require help from a lot of people to push it up the ramp of the parking garage. The garage clearance is 8 feet.

Again you guys have been super helpful so thanks a ton for the help here.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I think it is ok to drive the car out of the parking lot without coolant but others must confirm this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reputed repair shop close to me asked me not to turn it on for more than 10-20 secs. @fastspek does that sound accurate?

·
Registered
2007 AUDI R8 (GATED MANUAL)
880 Posts
wow these pics are so hard to look at. so sorry this happened to you. i'm in california as well but southern part so i wouldn't be of help but good luck with everything and hopefully it'll be smooth sailing for you...

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
The reputed repair shop close to me asked me not to turn it on for more than 10-20 secs. @fastspek does that sound accurate?
I can’t imagine driving very low RPMs for a short distance from your spot to the front of the garage so you can be towed would cause over heating damage. Hopefully someone much more knowledgeable than I would confirm.

·
Premium Member
4,979 Posts
Had a Land Rover many moons ago that had a coolant tank go (among 600 other things). You'd be surprised how quickly you can overheat an engine without coolant. I wouldn't chance it, honestly. If the parking garage is flat, I'd just get a few buddies to help you push it out in neutral. It should be easy enough to roll around. What transmission do you have? I know with the S-Tronic there's a special tool that needs to be used to manually force the transmission into netural when the car isn't turned on - it's found in the frunk tool kit (see the red device in the pic below). I'm not sure if the R-Tronic had any similar tool or process. Manual is obviously easy.

As far as the repair shops go, I'd be less concerned about Audi authorized and more concerned about the quality of their work. Keep in mind that everything from an inexpensive A3 qualifies as Audi, and the vast majority of Audis are a lot less expensive than an R8. This is the same reason why Audi, themselves, required an R8 technician program so their "everyday" Audi mechanic wasn't wrenching on the R8. Now, truth be told, this looks minor enough that it shouldn't be a big deal, but I'd still probably just seek out a shop that specializes in high end cars where they won't cut corners, they'll do a high quality paint job, and some 20 year old kid won't be joyriding in the car. Get some personal recommendations in your area.

Also, you mentioned "no tow hook" - do you mean the tow hook is missing from your tool kit? Or are you just unsure where to put it? I'm not sure if it remained consistent throughout the years, but on my 2015, the hook is inserted behind the front right (passenger side) lower grille. This needs to be popped out (it's a bit of a pain, and you need to be careful not to break it). The tow hook eyelet is behind there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had a Land Rover many moons ago that had a coolant tank go (among 600 other things). You'd be surprised how quickly you can overheat an engine without coolant. I wouldn't chance it, honestly. If the parking garage is flat, I'd just get a few buddies to help you push it out in neutral. It should be easy enough to roll around. What transmission do you have? I know with the S-Tronic there's a special tool that needs to be used to manually force the transmission into netural when the car isn't turned on - it's found in the frunk tool kit (see the red device in the pic below). I'm not sure if the R-Tronic had any similar tool or process. Manual is obviously easy.

As far as the repair shops go, I'd be less concerned about Audi authorized and more concerned about the quality of their work. Keep in mind that everything from an inexpensive A3 qualifies as Audi, and the vast majority of Audis are a lot less expensive than an R8. This is the same reason why Audi, themselves, required an R8 technician program so their "everyday" Audi mechanic wasn't wrenching on the R8. Now, truth be told, this looks minor enough that it shouldn't be a big deal, but I'd still probably just seek out a shop that specializes in high end cars where they won't cut corners, they'll do a high quality paint job, and some 20 year old kid won't be joyriding in the car. Get some personal recommendations in your area.

Also, you mentioned "no tow hook" - do you mean the tow hook is missing from your tool kit? Or are you just unsure where to put it? I'm not sure if it remained consistent throughout the years, but on my 2015, the hook is inserted behind the front right (passenger side) lower grille. This needs to be popped out (it's a bit of a pain, and you need to be careful not to break it). The tow hook eyelet is behind there.

View attachment 250705

This is super helpful, @ezmaass, I was unsure about where this was located and was able to finally locate it with help from some friends. Also gracious enough to have friends around to help me push the vehicle up the parking garage ramp. Took us over an hour to get this out and towed but at least I have peace of mind now.

I have an R-Tronic and wish it was a manual but thankfully my battery was not completely dead and I could put it in N. However, from the picture above it seems I am missing the red tool that's used to put the vehicle in N for such semi-autonomous vehicles. I did get the tow hook in my Frunk.

I chose a shop based on reviews online and they seem pretty reputed body shop. Although I am nervous about the coolant pipes and other components that could have been damaged as a result of this incident. There was red fluid leaking out of this so hoping it's only minor damage to the coolant tanks which can be easily replaced.

·
Registered
338 Posts
This is super helpful, @ezmaass, I was unsure about where this was located and was able to finally locate it with help from some friends. Also gracious enough to have friends around to help me push the vehicle up the parking garage ramp. Took us over an hour to get this out and towed but at least I have peace of mind now.

I have an R-Tronic and wish it was a manual but thankfully my battery was not completely dead and I could put it in N. However, from the picture above it seems I am missing the red tool that's used to put the vehicle in N for such semi-autonomous vehicles. I did get the tow hook in my Frunk.

I chose a shop based on reviews online and they seem pretty reputed body shop. Although I am nervous about the coolant pipes and other components that could have been damaged as a result of this incident. There was red fluid leaking out of this so hoping it's only minor damage to the coolant tanks which can be easily replaced.
I told you where the tow eye was located and where to install it but of course I am not ezmaass😊

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.