Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My R8 has no jack. If you get a blow-out and the tire sealer does not work you are in trouble. I could find only one lifting point on each side of the car (under where the door edge hits the body). A tow truck driver or service garage does not have a jack that fits the lift pad. The dealer told me they spend 10 minutes getting their lift pads set so that the bottom of the R8 is not damaged. Will the local tire shop be this careful if you need to replace a tire? I had a blow-out with my A8L. There is no way the tire sealer would have worked. When AAA showed up to change the tire he HAD to use my jack to change the tire. With the R8 he could not have done anything but drag the car onto a flat bed and towed it to an R8 dealer.

The jack from my 2004 A8L works in the lift pad. Why wouldn't Audi include a jack? The R8 V10 version includes a jack. Can Audi possibly be this cheap and not understand the damage that can take place with the wrong lifting equipment?

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
I had the dealer order me one after delivery. It took a month to get and cost about a hundred bucks. I couldn't believe they didn't give you one. The absence of a jack seems isolated to North American cars from what I read.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I had the dealer order me one after delivery. It took a month to get and cost about a hundred bucks. I couldn't believe they didn't give you one. The absence of a jack seems isolated to North American cars from what I read.
No Jack here in Australia either..just a pump and tire sealer.

I actually pinched a spare jack from my other car which fits perfectly into the jack point.

Could'nt agree more that very poor forethought on the part of Audi as a flat tire would probably require a flat bed...which would make me nervous plus the inconvenience involved.

·
Registered
617 Posts
UK cars come with a jack and the tyre sealant package, I would nag your dealer for a free jack on the grounds of safety and moving the car from a possible dangerous location. You guys love a bit of litigation, I really would emphasize all the negatives along with possible insurance risks, I am then sure that a jack will be then winging its way to you pronto.

Audi obviously recognize that it is required in Europe so why not the US ! Ignorance is no excuse in law!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I pick mine up in 2 weeks and I just emailed my dealer this thread. He can keep his coffee mug and keychain... Ill need the jack, please.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
For those who want to order one the Jack is Part # 8J0 01 031. Retail was $180.83
Have you dealer pull up Illustration 011-10. That shows the entire contents of the front boot under the lid.

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The GM at my dealer told me the accountants must be trying to save money by not putting a jack in the car. He sympathized with the need since he had personally had a blow-out that shredded a tire, but he would do nothing. He did not even offer to find out if there was a jack that would fit the lift point.

I will ask him why if a jack is provided for EU vehicles one is not provided for USA vehicles. I think if enough of us complain to our dealers maybe AOA will do something about the absence of a jack.

There are only 200 Audi dealers in the USA. Not all Audi dealers are certified to service an R8. If a tire blow-out occurred in Southern MN you would need to have your vehicle towed ~ 200 miles to get a new tire from an R8 certified dealer. Who would like to ride beside a tow truck driver for 200 miles to get a replacement tire?

I will be happy to give them back their book and other trinkets for a jack.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Is there a secure location for this jack? If I find a suitabe piece?

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Okay, great. So you have a jack and have a flat. No spare tire! Is anyone really going to leave their R8 up on a jack while the tire is off being repaired? Park it, make the call & wait for the flatbed!

Seriously, I'm sure Audi intended to use run flat tires but did not for the obvious performance reasons.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
I have a second set of tires. I mostly got the jack so I could change the tires in winter/summer. (I could also use my floor jack but I wanted to have the OEM one also) If I had a flat within my usual driving distance, I could call my wife/friends to bring me one tire of the other set and then jack it up at roadside and replace the tire. That way, no hassle with a flatbed, etc. My closest R8 dealer is over 2 hours away so I had many reasons to get one and very few not to.

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't think anyone would leave their R8 to go get a tire. What I think is that the tire store will damage the underside of the car because they do not know where to put the lift pads. They will need a low height racing jack to remove the damaged tire. If they do not have a jack that fits into the lift point something bad may happen to the car. Why take a risk of potentially $100s of dollars worth of damage because the tire store cannot get the tire off?

·
Registered
38 Posts
agreed...at least give us an adapter to allow a standard jack to fit into the lift point. it's an odd shape and chances are a standard jack is going to be much larger than the slot. I've been to the tire shop twice mcgyvering a solution to get the car up...

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Hey Audi are you listening? We want our jacks JUST IN CASE !I am pretty sure we could borrow a wheel from say an'05 Gallardo. My buddies custom factory Lambo wheels are prettyAWESOME,and I would probably not want to return his wheels if they were on my car .My '08 r8 uses the same size tires and wheels as buddies Gallardo

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I saw somewhere on this site a guy was given his jack from Audi !!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here in germany a jack is offered as an optional extra, but for FREE! (the same is with the 90 lt. tank).
Btw. mine will be here in 50 days :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Jack standard equipment in UK. Photo to follow.............

Oh, had a puncture last year (a slow one). Picked up by the tire monitoring system (option) I just inflated it with the pump, and my local garage had no problem finding a suitable lifting point. No damage to car; tyre successfully repaired.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I second that. I'm going to ask Audi for one!
Dear Audi Customer Care:

I recently purchased a 2009 R8 and have determined the jack is missing. I understand this is a no-charge option in Germany. Please send one! Thanks.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts