Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been following along on this forum for some time and have greatly appreciated everyone's thoughts, joys and concerns with their R8. As i'm sure everyone is experiencing or has experienced...I've suffered a painful, slow crawl towards ownership of my R8…I finally drove home on Sunday as a proud owner and with a smile that I literally could not contain. What a **** I must have looked driving my brand new R8 off the lot and through Los Angeles with this giant grin on my face that I could not control in spite of the contorted attempts. It’s not as if you are anonymous whilst driving the R8 either. It’s almost like you are in a parade with people honking, waving and pointing as you pass. I need to get these windows tinted immediately so as to hide my uncontainable joy…which I don't think will be wearing off any time soon. I’ve owned a couple outrageous cars…but there is something about this car that brings out the most bizarre mix of emotions in me and, it would appear, in the community at large. Granted…I’ve had it for 2 days….but this feels like a long term issue I need to come to terms with before someone drags this grinning/laughing/speeding fool out of his car to be beaten for impudence. I thought that being in the most jaded city in the world would provide a nice comfort of anonymity as I indulge my R8…this is not the case. I can hardly imagine what it would be like to drive this thing in some of the places I easily drove my RS4…which leads me to the topic of this long winded analysis.

The one unfortunate reality with taking ownership of my R8 is that it required the turning over of my RS4 in the process. Quite simply...the RS4 is the greatest car I've ever owned. It is the reason I am now sold on Audi...just as my dad was never to own a car other than a GM product when he bought his 1958 Corvette. Of course…he now owns a Nissan…but I digress.

What is most shocking is the vast difference on nearly every front between the RS4 and the R8. It was my mistake in assuming there would be more similarity based on the 4.2 engine and that they both come from the performance half of the Audi brain. I never found the RS4 to be even slightly challenging to drive on long trips or around town. The manual transmission was a good as it gets...and the acceleration, even under full throttle, never inspired even the slightest feeling that the car was anything but perfect...just pure bliss. Subtle design elements resulted in only true enthusiasts from even acknowledging the RS4 in any way. On the negative, of which there are very few, the Bose sound system lacks any kind of sound staging or real dynamics...but that's something that can be easily upgraded. The exhaust note was subdued as well…another feature that can easily be customized to your taste. In the 10k miles I put on the RS4 since taking delivery in mid-2006…I never had a single issue. Considering a horrid experience with my previous car (2003 BMW 745 in the shop 15 times in my 3 years of ownership) the quality of this car was noteworthy. In this era of increasingly integrated/fickle high tech electronics…it was great to have a car that blends the ergonomic/technology/driving excitement as well as the RS4 without revealing any Achilles heel symptoms post-purchase.

Now…on to the R8. First note is upon my drive home…I turned right out of the dealership, began moving towards the first intersection when I heard a loud “bang” an the next moment watched a car slide on it’s side through the intersection…smoking. It was raining in LA…and that’s the equivalent difficulty for LA drivers as an ice sheet would be for drivers in cold climes. Hard to describe the feeling that came over me watching this terrible accident within the first 100 feet of driving my R8. After making sure no one was badly hurt...I began to wonder if perhaps my acquisition of this car signals the beginning of the apocalypse? No locust have appeared in my neighborhood as of yet…so I’m starting to settle in...slightly.

There is no way this is the same engine as in my RS4. I have the R Tronic transmission so there is a learning curve happening here for me…but this car has a personality that is polar opposite from the RS4. While the RS4 is easy and fully under control…I feel as if the R8 will require some mastery. At the moment…I wish I had a manual but I’m giving it a couple weeks before I begin to question my judgment on the transmission I selected. The brakes bite a lot harder…the exhaust screams at your back…there are a number of sounds going on around me that make me feel more like I’m in an airplane. Definitely a more tactile relationship with my car is in store. Lot’s of little motors moving things around up and down when I open any of the 4 portals. The B&O stereo is miles above what was happening with the Bose unit in the RS4. The 4wd system/R Tronic tranny on the R8 is much more "clunky" feeling…with strange noises emanating upon reaching the turning limit, shifting into reverse etc. I would have bet this was a RWD car had i not known….it certainly feels like it. In fact, and I’m sure this won’t be a popular reference…but it feels more like my old 1970 Barracuda than my RS4. Like I said…it’s 2 days in…and there is little to no objective analysis at this point…pure emotional response at this point. What resonates with my 'Cuda is the sound and acceleration and sense of “uh oh” as I’m ripping down the street. Brakes on the R8 along with a lack of rattling plastic bits would keep me from being confused for long. I love my Cuda so this is a good thing.

Alright....more real analysis in a couple weeks. Not sure what I’ve gotten myself into here with this car…but it’s surreal and insanely fun.

I’ll leave you with an inspiring photo of my wife’s Toyota Sienna parked next to my R8. If I could get it any further away while it sits in the driveway…I would.

Needless to say…my wife does not really understand what’s wrong with me. I tell her…it’s one of 3 things I’ll need to obsess on...women – drugs – cars…your pick

·
Registered
340 Posts
Robot, congratulation! thanks for sharing. I can feel how high you are in the first couple of days of R8 ownership. Keep us posted and give us more.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yup, I must admit my Solar Orange R8 demands so much attention it's amazing. Photos, People pointing, Poking the head in the window to talk to me, etc etc. I feel like Britney Spears! :D

A great quote from an admirer "If it was a Ferrari, I'd say you were a wanker, but this Audi is glorious, congratulations!"

This is really what 95% of the public think. It's crazy.

·
Registered
104 Posts
…I finally drove home on Sunday as a proud owner and with a smile that I literally could not contain.....
The smile just does not go away. Four months, over 4K miles and I still grin like a kid when in my R8 :D

What a **** I must have looked driving my brand new R8 off the lot and through Los Angeles with this giant grin on my face that I could not control in spite of the contorted attempts. It’s not as if you are anonymous whilst driving the R8 either. It’s almost like you are in a parade with people honking, waving and pointing as you pass. I need to get these windows tinted immediately so as to hide my uncontainable joy…which I don't think will be wearing off any time soon.
I really don't think it makes any difference where you are, the R8 elicits the same emotional outpourings from on lookers, even Knoxville, TN. :)

The one unfortunate reality with taking ownership of my R8 is that it required the turning over of my RS4 in the process. Quite simply...the RS4 is the greatest car I've ever owned. It is the reason I am now sold on Audi...just as my dad was never to own a car other than a GM product when he bought his 1958 Corvette. Of course…he now owns a Nissan…but I digress.
I am so glad someone else feels the same as I toward the departed RS4, simply the very best of everything automotive in a sedan. I miss my Daytona RS4 :(

There is no way this is the same engine as in my RS4. I have the R Tronic transmission so there is a learning curve happening here for me…but this car has a personality that is polar opposite from the RS4.....The 4wd system/R Tronic tranny on the R8 is much more "clunky" feeling…with strange noises emanating upon reaching the turning limit, shifting into reverse etc.
It gets better each time you drive. Make sure you have the current software upgrade, mine was completed two weeks ago and it is totally different. The "service campaign" also has eight "fixes" associated with the campaign. I won't say its better, just different since it was not bad before, just different. I use the stick most of the time and love going up and down thru the gears. Doing so allows me to hear the V-8 "talk" thru the Milltek exhaust which is a symphony all its own. :p

Alright....more real analysis in a couple weeks. Not sure what I’ve gotten myself into here with this car…but it’s surreal and insanely fun.
How wonderful life would be if every purchase created such euphoria

Needless to say…my wife does not really understand what’s wrong with me. I tell her…it’s one of 3 things I’ll need to obsess on...women – drugs – cars…your pick
After 43 years of bliss with the same woman I still cannot make her understand the fix a radical ride has for my testosterone levels.:eek:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey All,

Just an update regarding my earliest notes/images on my personal R8 experience. I've rectified the co-habitation scenario as you will note my R8 is much happier to be in the driveway now with the wife's new Q7.

Additional notes...i've fallen in love with the R tronic and, much to my surprise, my wife likes riding in the R8 better than the RS4....this same wife was really trying to figure out why i bought the R8 instead of the TT as, in her mind, they "looked pretty much the same."

About a month in on the ownership experience....and all is fantastic in R8 land. As some of you noted...I really cannot wipe off the smile!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've rectified the co-habitation scenario as you will note my R8 is much happier to be in the driveway now with the wife's new Q7.
Funny. My wife is considering a new Q7 as well. I think they make a nice couple.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts