Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will describe how I installed an iPod adapter in my R8, but first look at the following YouTube video so that you know what to expect in terms of an iPod interface. The video shows a Lamborghini Gallardo but the end result is almost identical:

Lamborghini Gallardo iPod adapter with text - RNS-E Navigation Radio - Dension Gateway 100 GW16VC1

Maybe some day we'll have an optical adapter! Hope this helps anyone interested in an iPod adapter.

Finally, thanks to my brother, for helping me take apart the R8 without having me have a nervous breakdown.

EDIT 1/6/09: Audi USA informs me that the previous video shows an iPod system in an A6 with a fiber optic system. Apparently, the R8 uses copper wiring so it's not compatible with that iPod adapter.

EDIT 1/10/09: Final word on the radio after Audi called B&O is that the radio uses copper connections except to the amplifier where it uses optical. In order to have two lines of text in the display all you have to do is press the reset button until the 2 lines of text become visible.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Great post and you're right, you want that fiber optic connection!

I installed a Dension Gateway 500 iPod - USB Adapter in my Porsche (with a MOST fiber optic bus). All stereo components (radio, CD changer, amp) are connected to this bus but, unfortunately, I did not have the PCM navigation so functionality on the head unit was even more limited than the Lamborghini video. I found it was easier to use iPod directly to select music rather than using the head unit. Another note - if you don't have any experience splicing fiber optic cables, it's a SCARY learning curve. I feel like a network engineer now...

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Can pictures or video be shown on the navi screen??

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
5.2 is supposed to come with iPod integration. If you already have yours and it doesn't, the OEM option will likely be better.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
5.2 is supposed to come with iPod integration. If you already have yours and it doesn't, the OEM option will likely be better.
Is that integration available along with CD changer or is it just Audi Music Interface in place of CD changer that you're talking about?

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
thanks ;) _D
Northstar: if you check out the two sticky threads on the RNS-E forum over at audiforum:

http://www.audiforum.us/rns-e/

and read all that chatter about trying to hack into the new system, extract the software/firmware changes, upgrade old systems, what hardware has changed, etc., etc., I think you'll agree that the NEW RNS-E system WILL have iPod integration built into the software/firmware, even if it doesn't have the iPod dock; what isn't clear is, will you be able to cable your iPod to it and have the full integration? (without the docking, charging station of course); I think the answer is YES, but I think we're just going to have to wait and see....until YOU or I or someone out there actually gets their hands on a 2010 R8 and tries it!

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Northstar: if you check out the two sticky threads on the RNS-E forum over at audiforum:

http://www.audiforum.us/rns-e/and read all that chatter about trying to hack into the new system, extract the software/firmware changes, upgrade old systems, what hardware has changed, etc., etc., I think you'll agree that the NEW RNS-E system WILL have iPod integration built into the software/firmware, even if it doesn't have the iPod dock; what isn't clear is, will you be able to cable your iPod to it and have the full integration? (without the docking, charging station of course); I think the answer is YES, but I think we're just going to have to wait and see....until YOU or I or someone out there actually gets their hands on a 2010 R8 and tries it!
That's a great thread! I fired off a few parts requests for the US #. We'll see if it's available yet. I'm sure it will be $$$$

R8

423 035 192 G 2010 EU LHD
424 035 192 F 2010 EU RHD
423 035 192 H 2010 US

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Thanks for the detailed instructions. Does anyone with an '09 have the oem iPod adapter?

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Thanks for the detailed instructions. Does anyone with an '09 have the oem iPod adapter?
The OEM iPod adapter is known and sold as the AMI (Audi Music Interface) and it was not available in the 2009 R8. It is an option on the 2010 R8s built after August ##? The 2010 cars delivered to date have been coming in with the new RNS-E NAV unit, but no AMI. Per another thread, speculation is that AMI replaces the CD Changer and requires a slight modification to the firewall (hence, the August date).

·
Registered
159 Posts
A reply to a question from me on the rns-e site confirmed that the pinout of the 2009 rns-e and the 2010 one are the same. It should be just a straight swapout. I'm checking with Audi that this is so.

If it can be changed, then I'll be looking at putting the iPod adaptor in the glove compartment and using the 64GB of SD storage for music - Ideal!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have an '09 with the oem iPod adapter. Its MMI interface sucks. You can create iPod (iTunes) libraries called "1", "2", "3", "4", and "5" and access the as CD1, CD2, … CD6 gets you your complete iPod library. No titles appear on the MMI. You can skip tracks but that's about it. :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
A reply to a question from me on the rns-e site confirmed that the pinout of the 2009 rns-e and the 2010 one are the same. It should be just a straight swapout. I'm checking with Audi that this is so.

If it can be changed, then I'll be looking at putting the iPod adaptor in the glove compartment and using the 64GB of SD storage for music - Ideal!
I saw that, great work. If the 2010 unit will work and 32GB SDHC cards are supported as the post says, I could care less about the AMI iPod interface. I'll move my 28GB of music to MP3 and be done with the iPod!

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I have an '09 with the oem iPod adapter. Its MMI interface sucks. You can create iPod (iTunes) libraries called "1", "2", "3", "4", and "5" and access the as CD1, CD2, … CD6 gets you your complete iPod library. No titles appear on the MMI. You can skip tracks but that's about it. :confused:
Ken - That may have come with your car but don't think that's an OEM Audi adapter. It's probably a Gateway Denison or something. I had the same in my Porsche and you're right, IT SUCKS! I found it much easier to just use the iPod local control and make all selections from the iPod. The AMI provides title/track and playlist from the iPod with full iPod control.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
I saw that, great work. If the 2010 unit will work and 32GB SDHC cards are supported as the post says, I could care less about the AMI iPod interface. I'll move my 28GB of music to MP3 and be done with the iPod!
my understanding of the RNS-E system (as opposed to the true MMI systems in the bigger cars) is that is a compact, one box system, so if the pin mapping is the same, upgrade should be plug and play

but likely the replacement will involve the screen as well as the box, since from the sound of it, the video processing is upgraded to match the hi-res screen; the question of whether the new box could drive the old screen was unresolved the last time I visited over there....but reading that stuff gives me a headache!:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
my understanding of the RNS-E system (as opposed to the true MMI systems in the bigger cars) is that is a compact, one box system, so if the pin mapping is the same, upgrade should be plug and play

but likely the replacement will involve the screen as well as the box, since from the sound of it, the video processing is upgraded to match the hi-res screen; the question of whether the new box could drive the old screen was unresolved the last time I visited over there....but reading that stuff gives me a headache!:rolleyes:
RNS-E is self contained, one box with the multi-function display. We're hoping for a simple plug-and-play swap, old for new.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
RNS-E is self contained, one box with the multi-function display. We're hoping for a simple plug-and-play swap, old for new.
I'd bet that's a "yes." But from what I gathered over on audiforums.us, it sounds like Audi may not admit it, even if it's true.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts