Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

After spending a lot of time googling this issue I can see I am far from the only person who would love a solution to the stock “a4 like” key we all have for our car.

What I do for a living puts me in a position where making an updated housing for the key is possible and I’d like some feedback on what others would want if it was made available in a limited run.

The design modelling and production costs make it too expensive to make just 2 keys for myself so I’d be looking at making something like 200-300 key housings.

The new housing would essentially replace these elements of the stock key and house the oem internals.

Material finish will be high quality, I am hoping a large portion of the key can be made up from 2 aluminium CNC clam shells.

I have a couple of things that I’d like to ask if that’s ok?

Has anyone found a supplier who can offer an upgraded or updated key housing? I have seen a few companies talk of doing it but nothing happened.

In terms of ideal housing I was thinking one of the two options below modified to fit the blade of our existing key and have a similar button layout to the existing key allowing the boards to be swapped over. Which do people prefer?

Would people prefer a totally unique more bespoke design? I kind of feel like I’d prefer something more oem looking but as it looks like I would have to sell some to cover the production costs I’m obviously open to ideas. This could be an opportunity to make a really exotic key for our cars.

Any feedback is welcome, thanks for your time.

EDITED - adding this image of the current design concept to save people scrolling through the thread

·
Registered
184 Posts
What about a key in the shape of the letter "R" and number "8"? Ive been waiting for someone (other than Porsche) to make a key that isn't an oblong boring keyfob and instead represents the model.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm in. Out of all the things, the one thing I hate more than anything on my R8 is the key. There's nothing special about it. Heck, my S3 had "S3" on the key.

Sign me up!

·
Registered
736 Posts
I love our switchblade key, hate the newer ones, they feel cheap.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I love our switchblade key, hate the newer ones, they feel cheap.
I am proposing to still have a switchblade key housed in a more luxe housing likely CNC’d aluminium with sections designed to allow the key to still transpond - its main objective is to look the opposite of cheap.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Interested as well. It would definitely need materials that don't feel cheap. Also, something more robust for flipping the key out since it gets stuck after a while and I always have to push the pin back in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interested, but like most things my interest is price sensitive.
Due to the small production volume these will be made in and the materials I want to use in order to give it a high end feel I’m afraid they aren’t going to be cheap but should be in line with the price of a new key from Audi.

·
Registered
424 Posts

I'm in, don't mind paying a bit for premium quality. I made some mock ups of what looks achievable based on Bugatti Key fobs. The materials could be like CNC Aluminium/Chrome/Titanium and Nappa Leather in the color of your interior.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
I’m in if we get a great design.
would like the ability to have the prefacelift (original) logo on the FOB. as I am trying to keep the car consistent with the time frame.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So...we would just swap the guts into the new fob housing? It would be nice to have a key that matches the caliber of the car. If the price was close to Audi I would be in for two.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
That key looks pretty good.
I’d like to see a mix of CNC machined, carbon fiber, and leather (color of your car/contrast stitching etc. with ability to have logo.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Original design hmm :unsure: maybe a CNC embossed Audi logo that way it's not too flashy but the materials lets people know it's something special.

·
Registered
140 Posts
yup...didnt even have to ask. take my $$$. sign me up :)

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
I’d get two for my Gen 1. I’d also do two for my Gen 2 if you ever make those.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts