Audi R8 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Maybe a pool will help. I rather have a unique key design rather than a OEM look for a Gen 2 or the newer Audis. It would stand out more as well. Thanks for taking on this project btw. Hoping to have a final consensus soon.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
I don’t really mind something different vs something OEM plus. Whatever works best.

I’m with jaynick also. Logo and CF should be on there. And customizable.

I’d pretty much be in for any design with the exception of the matchbox car look. A bit tacky IMO.

Reactions: ntg44

·
Registered
889 Posts
I’m also in for carbon fiber, R8 logo, and so long as both Gen1 and Gen2 electronics fits to allow for retrofits of our current fobs.

·
Registered
121 Posts
That looks pretty good. In addition to the issue of the center flip key, I think another problem is getting the electronics on our current keys to work with it. Maybe leave the buttons where the R8 logo is, move the logo to the other side as a removeable battery cover?

·
Registered
163 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
it would be nice if there were 2 sets of key fob...one carbon fiber and another without for owners that don't have CF in their R8s.

·
Registered
V10 Spyder Facelift
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)
had a play taking into consideration peoples thoughts above
  • flip key (although im not sure how it would work being central to the design)
  • metal frame / body
  • carbon fibre (inlay)
Awesome looking key but you are right it presents a few issues.

Our existing key circuit board means the buttons must be in the same (ish) location as they are now, that’s why I went with a button layout seen on the slightly newer Audi key. This allows the buttons to line up with the existing circuit board and allows us to “share” some existing components.

Our blade won’t allow a central orientation it would have to be on the side. Making a new blade isn’t going to be with the quantities we want to make.

Getting a new board programmed is out of the question for this project in terms of costs and the small production numbers we are looking at.

With this in mind we need to work around the existing board, button layout and key blade.

Is the key you have presented modelled on an existing key it is it completely from scratch? I’m in love with it so much that I wish I had never seen it ?

·
Registered
161 Posts
IN!!!! That last design is SEXAY!!!! ...
So, how would this work? Would you need our key to duplicate? Or would these simply be cut and programed by our local Audi dealer?

·
Registered
889 Posts
This will end up needing to be two versions:

- Gen1 with “switchblade“ key

- Gen2 with “sword in sheath” key

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Since the key blades are held with a set screw, there may be more flexibility than first imagined - and even the 'rewiring' of the switch positions in a new fob body (and switches) to the existing board may not be that difficult to transform ...

·
Registered
2012 R8 V8 Spyder
44 Posts
I'd buy up to 3 depending on price, one spare in case one breaks ;-)

Also, I have an office in Shenzhen (which I'm unable to go to currently) and have contacts with several companies who may be able to help us do a small run at a reasonable price. Let me know when you get to the point of getting pricing and I can see if I can help.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Designing a new fob utilizing old school blade is difficult enough and I can appreciate the challenges.
I may be wrong, but like most, I need a reasonably priced alternative to oem prices for a replacement fob/key. And if that solution has an esthetically pleasing result, then I'm in.
(Car only came with one fob so my interest may differ from others)

61 - 80 of 159 Posts