Audi R8 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
First off, I love idea of an updated key fob that would be unique to the R8. I'm just wondering if it is worth considering, both economically and from a design standpoint, to simply replace the one panel that in the attached photo is to the right of the Audi rings...? I'm not an engineer, so please excuse my ignorance if this is a stupid question.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Following this thread and very interested- something with carbon fiber and Gen 1 facelift R8 logo! Assume it would still incorporate attachment of a key ring...

·
Registered
2011 Ibis White R8 V8 6MT
1 Posts
Add me to the list! If I had the connections I would have a custom key made in a second!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Thanks for the continued interest.

This project is moving forward though with some delays expected due to the obvious 🦠☹

I’m going along the modified and improved oem route and will post when I have a completed pre production sample that I’m happy with.

There will be 100 keys available give or take.

look after yourselves in the mean time. 😷

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Sweet. I can’t wait!
I’ve already put it on my mods list.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
The final concept R8 key case looks fantastic. Keeping the buttons in the same position is a good idea and will make porting over simple.

Another idea is to make a snap on case with your concept design instead of transferring the internals over. This would really make it a breeze to install and have the new look without the worry of damaging the electronics.

I had one of my old V8 key internals and transponder chip transferred over to a new oem case and it started working intermittently. I tried paring it again but that didn't work so there's a bit of concern this will happen to other members taking on this mod.

Here's a snap on case made of durable zinc alloy your concept design can be made out of instead of plastic or TPU. Just some food for thoughts.

Thanks for taking on this project. Count me in for 2 please.

Stay safe and stay home folks!

EDITED - adding this image of the current design concept to save people scrolling through the thread

View attachment 248583

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Tried the clip over carbon ones before.
1-The key blade got caught on it when it tried to open.
2- The first time I put the key in the ignition to turn it over it came apart.

So I sent it back.

I’m most definitely NOT in for a cheap clip over our existing FOB.

Looking forward to the final design!

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
The CF clip ons are pretty filmsy, don't fit too well, and does cut the signal significantly. But there are good quality clip ons that don't block the flip key or fall off.

If the clip ons are made with quality materials, they fit perfect and stay on even when they are dropped. I've ordered the Zinc alloy ones so will report back how well they fit.

I'm looking forward to the concept keys too. It's always good to have more options. Just be mindful transferring the electronics and transponder chip from one case to another is not without risks. Cheers.

Attachments

81 - 100 of 109 Posts