Premium Member
787 Posts
Those look neat as well. Good find.
looking forward to the bespoke design!

·
Registered
2015 R8 V10 6MT
22 Posts
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions guys it’s appreciated.

I have put together a quick concept image to show the kind of “oem like” design im thinking of.

View attachment 248509

As you can see it’s a blend of our key with the two more modern Audi oem keys. I personally like oem but do like the Bugatti key posted earlier in this thread.

Do people want to go down this oem style route?

I’d like to get a design that people like the look of before going to the tech drawing and 3D modelling stage so please feel free to give me some feedback.

I will experiment with materials at a later date once we have agreed on a design concept. I Was thinking the front shell could be alloy to tie in with the other details but the entire key can’t be alloy as this would impair the signal. In this regard the oem style back off the sq7 key gives enough clear surface area to transmit and still looks cool.

These alloy sections could theoretically be anodised to colour match to cars.

Im unsure on the legal implications of using the Audi and r8 emblems on the key, I have looked into this and the short answer is to get a license permission is going to make this project too expensive which Isn’t really the idea. I don’t know if anyone else is more experienced in this field

At this stage I am proposing to supply the keys with the areas for the logos CNC’d out then providing quality self adhesive logos that happen to fit those dimensions separately. People then may or may not choose to apply these themselves. ?

Thanks for the interest.
I really like this design! I’m definitely in for a key or 2!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm very interested, the key for my recent grim Tesla I had (work courtesy car) is more interesting than the one for the R8

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
While waiting for the concept key case, here are some other options.

This key case gives a nice futuristic look and is made out of sturdy alloy.

This case is made of thicker plastic in CF look that doesn't fall off or cut off the signal as this is not real carbon fiber.

·
Registered
V10 Spyder Facelift
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Hey howie, I like the look of that alloy one in your first link, you never know from the pics but if it’s a well made housing it could be a good upgrade. Does anyone here have one?

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
The zinc alloy cases should be very study as they are held together with screws. I've ordered the case so will let you know the fit and finish.

Here are some install photos.

And here's a nice alloy case for the Gen2 owners:

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
How's your concept key case coming along? Your oem design looks really nice so there are many of us waiting for you to go to production! (y):cool:

Hey howie, I like the look of that alloy one in your first link, you never know from the pics but if it’s a well made housing it could be a good upgrade. Does anyone here have one?

·
Registered
278 Posts
The zinc alloy cases should be very study as they are held together with screws. I've ordered the case so will let you know the fit and finish.

Here are some install photos.

And here's a nice alloy case for the Gen2 owners:

[[/URL]
I am interested to see what you think when you get it. This is the first time I have ever seen the words “Luxury” and “Zinc”. Used in the same sentence.

·
Registered
2015 R8 V10 6MT
22 Posts

This case is made of thicker plastic in CF look that doesn't fall off or cut off the signal as this is not real carbon fiber.

Thanks so much for this!! While we all wait for the custom key, I’ve ordered the first one in the meantime! Hopefully it’s close to the pictures! ?

·
Registered
230 Posts

Great finds! I’ve never seen both of those options when I was looking not too long ago.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
They actually look pretty nice in person too - although as you might imagine from being an 'overcase' they increase the size of the whole thing considerably. Luxury zinc (otherwise known as one of several white pot metals) is quite reasonably-priced compared to SS or CF though -
If the plating is high quality, then no one would hardly be the wiser really. If not though, it fails and the whole thing becomes a mess of cheap and useless ... think peeling, black crusty underneath, looking like a battery leaked -

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Hopefully this Lux zinc alloy color is the actual metal and not plated over.

Otherwise it will likely get scratched by all the keys attached to it.

Fingers crossed the quality can stand up to daily use. ?

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Not unless you like a dull cast gray look that will oxidize (to black or a powdery white) ... these zinc alloys are always plated -

101 - 120 of 159 Posts