Audi R8 Forums banner

141 - 154 of 154 Posts

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Thanks Mark. It looks nice and chunky. Please keep us posted how the plating holds up.

I ordered the gray version. Hopefully mine arrives soon!

·
Registered
V10 Spyder Facelift
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
So these OEM designs are off the table now?

The new CNC renders look great but they look more after market than OEM.

I'm still liking the OEM ones more. Any chance they will be made?
This “mach1” render shown is the form required to house our internals and key blade. It’s currently what you would describe as function over form meaning it’s functionality is what’s lead to it’s aesthetic appearance.

It loosely follows the newer oem key shown in the original drawing and I intend that once fitment is sorted it will move slightly more towards the original concept of the sq7 style key I posted. If you like that original oem style key I posted you won’t be disappointed with the outcome I have in mind.

I’ve mentioned this a few times but we are a bit limited by the existing workings of our keys and though some of you have suggested it I have to tell you that making a new board or switch blade just isn’t possible in terms of making this affordable.

·
Registered
2015 R8 V10 6MT
22 Posts
Just to add on the subject of painting them to match your car. I plan on getting these made in polished alloy then a couple of anodised colours such as black and perhaps red. Outside of this I could get some raw ones done and anodise them to order but it’s probably going to add too much of a cost. What I would suggest here is that there is nothing stopping you taking these to a local spray shop and getting a colour match done to your car?
I’m still in for this key as well! Just let me know about the cost. A nice Red would be nice. Or even just with Red Accents like the R line.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Nice, looks like colored chrome. Do these finishes hold up well sloshing around with other keys in the pocket?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Mol75 & Howie,
So I received the zinc alloy key just now! It actually looks pretty great all things considered. I need to add a sticker or something to the back, as it feels a bit bare still. I’ve attached pictures below:

Pros:
  • looks great
  • feels like metal
  • comes with everything you need
Cons:
  • it’s a bit bulkier than I’m used to
  • main challenge is that it’s difficult to push the button to open the key section. You have to use the middle of your thumb to do it, rather than the point of your thumb. (Hard to explain)
Notes the last picture includes my personal keychain, that I was able to attach with the other extension included.
View attachment 249986 View attachment 249987 View attachment 249988 View attachment 249989 View attachment 249990
Thanks for the update! Looks quite nice. Does it add noticeable weight? And have you noticed any difference in the distance that you can unlock the car?

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
I’m in for them 100% as long as you make the pre-FL logo.

I’ll either pick an anodized color, or go have it painted body color and clear coated at a body shop. Couldn’t be that expensive to do that small of an item. I’ve got other body work to do, so they could do it at the same time, probably for nothing!

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
As noted earlier, I'm in also and REALLY appreciate your efforts. I am leaning towards the OEM curves more than the Gen 2 angles and chunk though - got to say. The already chunky ones available as covers offer that, and IMHO do NOT look Audi design - while vehicle design language has morphed decidedly angular, Audi keys have kept curves mostly. I like 'em ...especially for my Gen 1 R8.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Looks great! Please let me know when and where I can place my deposit. Can’t wait for this to be finished. Thank you for your efforts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am proposing to still have a switchblade key housed in a more luxe housing likely CNC’d aluminium with sections designed to allow the key to still transpond - its main objective is to look the opposite of cheap.
agreed. something like a solid rectangle shape with smooth edges. kind of like the body of the iPhone 5S idea but obviously smaller

·
Registered
2015 R8 V10 6MT
22 Posts
Thanks for the update! Looks quite nice. Does it add noticeable weight? And have you noticed any difference in the distance that you can unlock the car?
Actually very astute. It adds a bit of weight which I really like and feels nice & metallic, but it unfortunately does significantly limit the range I can lock/unlock my car from. I’ve gotten used to it for now though.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I'm surprised the range is affected because this alloy cover is just a frame with open back and front. I don't think I can compromise on the range limit no matter how nice it looks.

I had the real CF keyfob cover and it cut the range too. A couple of times my car was left unlocked because the signal was too weak as I locked it while walking away.

Now we know why Audi make their keyfobs mainly out of plastic. 😏

Actually very astute. It adds a bit of weight which I really like and feels nice & metallic, but it unfortunately does significantly limit the range I can lock/unlock my car from. I’ve gotten used to it for now though.

141 - 154 of 154 Posts