Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought and drove home my new 2009 Audi R8 w/ R-Tronic transmission today. It's a truly amazing car so far; I never thought I could be this passionate about a car.

Since this is the first time I'm driving such a low car, it would be great if I could get the answer to one question: how paranoid do I need to be about driving on bad roads?

For example, there's a highway near me (I-880 near Oakland, in California) that's in pretty poor condition that I'm concerned about driving my new car on. I've heard some horror stories from a friend with a Porsche GT3 about speed bumps and poor roads, so I'm a little worried. So, any thoughts or tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
482 Posts
This is subjective. Just be careful and drive around your local routes to see for yourself. By the way, pictures of your new ride please!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome... I live in San Francisco and got my '09 MT Black-on-Black R8 about two weeks ago. Driving it in SF is a real hassle - we have some third-world roads over here. Few things I've learned:

- You can't really bottom it out on the highway, 880 included. Just watch out for the occasional nasty pothole

- Marina /Pac Hts / Western side of SF has decent roads. So does the perimeter of the city (Embarcadero, Bay, etc). Be careful going down Gough at high speeds (timed lights :-D) as I've bottomed out my Beamer there. Bottoming out the R8 there would be trivial.

- SOMA sucks. Potholes and bad roads everywhere. I think I've already developed some creaks and rattles from driving around in downtown / Nob Hill / SOMA.

- You will scrape the bottom when going in and out of garages. Approach at an angle, turn the wheels all the way, etc., but it's still hard.

- I've parallel parked it on the street now about half-a dozen times. Wish Audi had the auto-tilting right mirror. Have to do it manually every time...

- Get the Ventureshield installed by Premier in Fremont - worth every penny. The guys washing my car at the AutoSpa, even though they clean plenty of high-end cars, couldn't tell that it had a Clearbra!

- Royal Motors doesn't know what to do with an R8. Mine was the first one they'd seen! Looks like I'll have to go to Rector in Burlingame for Service.

- I have lots of other SF R8 survival tips. PM me if you have any questions.

Naval

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
09R8: I will post some pics when I get the chance

naval: This is a lot of really useful advice, as I am a San Francisco resident. Thanks a lot! I'm sure I'll be in touch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok, in that case, couple more tips for ya :)

- Best cheap all-hand car-wash in town - $25 at the AutoSpa, on Harrison between 1st and 2nd. Tell them that your comrade in the black R8 sent you...

- Parking Garages that have reasonable onramps and safe areas / wide spots:
-- Jessie Square in downtown
-- W Hotel Valet in downtown
-- 16th and Kansas in Potrero Hill
-- Marina Pierce and Chestnut garage - park on the roof away from everyone else

Not so good:
-- Fillmore and California Sutter Health Garage - bad ramps
-- 22nd and Valencia garage - no wide spots

·
Registered
485 Posts
- Get the Ventureshield installed by Premier in Fremont - worth every penny. The guys washing my car at the AutoSpa, even though they clean plenty of high-end cars, couldn't tell that it had a Clearbra!
Question on clear bra, I never have this done before as I drive to work on surface road. I am wondering if I need to do this, do you covered the entire front? I do not like to see the line on the hood. Is Premier Fremont the best place to do this? How much does this cost? And how long does it take? Thx.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Dealing with bad roads is always a major concern when driving a sportscar. But I find the R8 to be excellent on all road surfaces around the Seattle areas. The e-magnetic ride is truly amazing and works well even in snow and ice. Yet it doesn't bore you like the air suspension on a Mercedes or Lexus. So I don't think you need to worry much. Just drive it like you drive any other car.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Question on clear bra, I never have this done before as I drive to work on surface road. I am wondering if I need to do this, do you covered the entire front? I do not like to see the line on the hood. Is Premier Fremont the best place to do this? How much does this cost? And how long does it take? Thx.
Here is what I had done http://www.r8talk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20341#post20341

I had my G done half way and regretted it. Ended up taking it back to Premiere to have the entire hood done. Costed me more doing it that way than to have it done right the first time. The R8s front nose is pretty big so I would imagine it would get more chips. I drove the R8 for 3 weeks without a shield and found several nicks on the hood and nose. Roads here in the Bay Area is not great for these cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts