Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to purchase a car in the next few months. I am deciding between the Gallardo or the R8. The hardest part about the decision is that the audi dealers in the northeast region do not allow test drives. Does anyone in northeast area can give me a quick ride in his R8? All I need is about a few mins sitting on the passenger side.

I know there are debates on this board on how different the R8 is compared with the Gallardo, but how can someone pick the R8 with less HP over a proven midengined beast with 500HP? Also people who have driven both, what are the real differences other than acceleration?

Also when is the R8 spyder coming out?

what is a reasonable discount on a new or used R8?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
22 Posts
no test drives? i was recently thinking of starting a thread on another forum about test drives. i've always wondered what things you have to say in order to test drive expensive cars. if dealers don't allow test drives, then how do you know if that car is right for you? i also want to know how many people change their minds about buying after the test drive. i was thinking about getting the R8 myself. it's either that or the Corvette ZR1... maybe.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I think most owners bought the R8 without a test drive, but that was simply due to being early adopters and there never actually being an unsold model on the floor.

You can pretty much always go test drive a Lamborghini though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think most owners bought the R8 without a test drive, but that was simply due to being early adopters and there never actually being an unsold model on the floor.

You can pretty much always go test drive a Lamborghini though.
The dealers here still wont allow test drives. I drove a gallardo and Im almost sold. The car is fabulous no doubt. I cant simply spend 130k on a car that I cant test drive. Im really leaning towards a Gallardo spyder, someone convince me otherwise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no test drives? i was recently thinking of starting a thread on another forum about test drives. i've always wondered what things you have to say in order to test drive expensive cars. if dealers don't allow test drives, then how do you know if that car is right for you? i also want to know how many people change their minds about buying after the test drive. i was thinking about getting the R8 myself. it's either that or the Corvette ZR1... maybe.
I dont think its easy to test drive a ferrari, but a preowned lambo or corvette shouldnt be a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Well, it costs a bit, but one way to get all the "test drive" you could ever want is to sign up for one of the Audi "Driving" or "Sportscar" Experiences. My son and I went to Infineon for the 1 day R8 course and I was totally sold on the car. It is absolutely a dream to drive at speed. Personally, I am not looking for 500 hp, or any of the other prominent attributes so apparent in Lambos and that ilk. If what you want is a dream drive...probably one of the finest driving cars ever engineered...the R8 is it. Well worth what they charge to go lap one for a day and find out.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Im really leaning towards a Gallardo spyder, someone convince me otherwise.
If they won't give you a test drive despite you being a serious potential buyer - don't give them the business. It's not really down to a forum to convince you to buy a car that for whatever reason might not hit the spot for you personally.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Im looking to purchase a car in the next few months. I am deciding between the Gallardo or the R8. The hardest part about the decision is that the audi dealers in the northeast region do not allow test drives. Does anyone in northeast area can give me a quick ride in his R8? All I need is about a few mins sitting on the passenger side.

I know there are debates on this board on how different the R8 is compared with the Gallardo, but how can someone pick the R8 with less HP over a proven midengined beast with 500HP? Also people who have driven both, what are the real differences other than acceleration?

Also when is the R8 spyder coming out?

what is a reasonable discount on a new or used R8?

thanks in advance!

Now, that is hogwash. A dealer that does not allow test drives will lose much business. Both cars are great as I own'em both. With pricing for the Gallardo leveled to the low 100s (used of course), it does make for a great deal. Here are some pointers that I've noticed:

1. Gallardo sounds better, but this is subjective. I'm sure when the V10 comes out, the Gallardo would have to step back
2. Fit and finish, the Audi is better. On my Gallardo, on one occasion, I was getting stuff in and out of the car (long shopping day with wife) and just lightly leaned onto the air vent on the driver's side and that snapped off in two.
3. Both cars are head turners with the R8 being a new model, you will get much attention like the Gallardo.
4. The seat bolsters on the Gallardo shows wear very early on - no issues with the R8
5. Driveability, they're both pretty close with R8s mag susp edging over the G

·
Registered
22 Posts
what about maintenance? i'm assuming that the Gallardo is going to be more expensive to mantain than the R8 just because it's a Lambo?

Now, that is hogwash. A dealer that does not allow test drives will lose much business. Both cars are great as I own'em both. With pricing for the Gallardo leveled to the low 100s (used of course), it does make for a great deal. Here are some pointers that I've noticed:

1. Gallardo sounds better, but this is subjective. I'm sure when the V10 comes out, the Gallardo would have to step back
2. Fit and finish, the Audi is better. On my Gallardo, on one occasion, I was getting stuff in and out of the car (long shopping day with wife) and just lightly leaned onto the air vent on the driver's side and that snapped off in two.
3. Both cars are head turners with the R8 being a new model, you will get much attention like the Gallardo.
4. The seat bolsters on the Gallardo shows wear very early on - no issues with the R8

·
Registered
190 Posts
Where in the Northeast are you?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see you have a Gallardo, what is a reasonable discount on a 140k gallardo spyder? Is 15k too much to ask?

I went to 3 audi dealers and non of them allow test drives, so it does sound like if I dont find a member on this board who can give me a short ride, I have no choice to compare.

How is the clutch wear on the R8 compared with Gallardo. Gallardo clutch need to be replaced every 7000miles.

Just curious, how did you have room in the Gallardo to carry shopping bags? :p

·
Registered
482 Posts
what about maintenance? i'm assuming that the Gallardo is going to be more expensive to mantain than the R8 just because it's a Lambo?
I usually sell my cars before any maintenance is needed. Do expect the G will only come with a 2 yr warranty if purchased new. It's a significant difference to the R8's

·
Registered
482 Posts
I see you have a Gallardo, what is a reasonable discount on a 140k gallardo spyder? Is 15k too much to ask?

I went to 3 audi dealers and non of them allow test drives, so it does sound like if I dont find a member on this board who can give me a short ride, I have no choice to compare.

How is the clutch wear on the R8 compared with Gallardo. Gallardo clutch need to be replaced every 7000miles.

Just curious, how did you have room in the Gallardo to carry shopping bags? :p
wow, that's really interesting about the dealers not allowing a test drive. If they know you're serious (salesmen should be able to feel someone out), it just doesn't make sense they won't allow for a test drive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts