RS4 official 0-160km/h time is 10.8s!!
RS4 weights 1660kg.
RS4 0-100km/h: 4.8s, 0-200km/h: 16.6s

R8 official data
0-100km/h: 4.6s
0-160km/h: 9.8s
0-200km/h:14.9s
Weight: 1560kg(manual, 1565kg R-Tronic)

So, for you is 0-160km/h: 9.8s terribly slow?? What did you expect?? 8.0s?? That is 997 turbo time!! It has 480hp/680Nm and about the same weight!

Other inf0 for all of you......0-300km/h!

997 turbo(manual) 40.7s(measured by German AMS)
R8 56.5s(unoffical time by Audi)

So, if you are asking is R8 faster then 997 turbo answer is NO.
But, it is faster around 5s in 0-250km/h(do not ask me about time, I just heard something like 29.0s) then RS4!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Re: What did you choose for colours inside and outside

Do you know what are you talking about?

RS4 official 0-160km/h time is 10.8s!!
RS4 weights 1660kg.
RS4 0-100km/h: 4.8s, 0-200km/h: 16.6s

R8 official data
0-100km/h: 4.6s
0-200km/h:14.9s
Weight: 1560kg(manual, 1565kg R-Tronic)

So, for you is 0-160km/h: 9.8s terribly slow?? What did you expect?? 8.0s?? That is 997 turbo time!! It has 480hp/680Nm and about the same weight!

Other inf0 for all of you......0-300km/h!

997 turbo(manual) 40.7s(measured by German AMS)
R8 56.5s(unoffical time by Audi)

So, if you are asking is R8 faster then 997 turbo answer is NO.
But, it is faster around 5s in 0-250km/h(do not ask me about time, I just heard something like 29.0s) then RS4!

I know exactly what I am talking about. We are talking about a 100,000 + dollar vehicle that will not do 0-100 in the low 9's. This vehicle should at least be capable of matching 996 turbo acceleration, a car with a similar power to weight ratio that was released a little over 6 years ago.

I have seen RS4 0-100 numbers in the mid 10's. The R8 weighs 500 pounds less, is dry sump, has a revised air intake, revised exhaust, and dual throttle bodies yet can't produce times close to the 996 turbo or times that will make an X51 997 carrera S owner sweat?

The thing can't get by on looks alone, 0-100 is 9.8 is pathetic for this type of vehicle in this day and age. Considering it is an "official" number I am expecting that it is conservative. I would never compare the performance of the R8 to the 997 turbo, the 997 turbo actually delivers supercar performance not supercar looks and is in another league of power.

·
Registered
782 Posts

I know exactly what I am talking about. We are talking about a 100,000 + dollar vehicle that will not do 0-100 in the low 9's. This vehicle should at least be capable of matching 996 turbo acceleration, a car with a similar power to weight ratio that was released a little over 6 years ago.

I have seen RS4 0-100 numbers in the mid 10's. The R8 weighs 500 pounds less, is dry sump, has a revised air intake, revised exhaust, and dual throttle bodies yet can't produce times close to the 996 turbo or times that will make an X51 997 carrera S owner sweat?

The thing can't get by on looks alone, 0-100 is 9.8 is pathetic for this type of vehicle in this day and age. Considering it is an "official" number I am expecting that it is conservative. I would never compare the performance of the R8 to the 997 turbo, the 997 turbo actually delivers supercar performance not supercar looks and is in another league of power.
Uh, I'm sorry but above is a very sad making reply, for me you confirmed that you indeed are talking rubbish.

It is a huge difference between the RS4 10.8s and the R8 9.8s. With the same powerplant but with the drysump and some weight avantage it is in my opinion an excellent achievement to be as much as 1 second faster than the already stunning performance of the RS4.

Don't forget a 996 or a 997 Turbo is way more expensive (in my country the 997 Turbo is standard 50.000,- euro's more expensive, it is the same price as a Gallardo or an F430). So the 997 Turbo belongs to a complete other league and it's not comparable. But that is the same you mentoined and it tells me again that you are talking rubbish.

According to my information the 997 Carrera does the 0 - 160 in 11s and the Carrera S is somewhat faster 10.7s

0 - 200 Carrera = 17.5s
0 - 200 Carrera S = 16.5s

In my country the pricing of the Carrera S is about the same as the R8.

So, in conclusion, again, you had too much beer! :) Don't go out for a drive in your Seat Leon until you're sober again :)

·
Registered
77 Posts

Uh, I'm sorry but above is a very sad making reply, for me you confirmed that you indeed are talking rubbish.

It is a huge difference between the RS4 10.8s and the R8 9.8s. With the same powerplant but with the drysump and some weight avantage it is in my opinion an excellent achievement to be as much as 1 second faster than the already stunning performance of the RS4.

Don't forget a 996 or a 997 Turbo is way more expensive (in my country the 997 Turbo is standard 50.000,- euro's more expensive, it is the same price as a Gallardo or an F430). So the 997 Turbo belongs to a complete other league and it's not comparable.

According to my information the 997 Carrera does the 0 - 160 in 11s and the Carrera S is somewhat faster 10.7s

0 - 200 Carrera = 17.5s
0 - 200 Carrera S = 16.5s

In my country the pricing of the Carrera S is about the same as the R8.

So, in conclusion, again, you had too much beer! :)
It seems that logic does not exist in your country.

This is a dedicated sports car. This is not a sports sedan, and the RS4 numbers aren't that impressive so I don't see why you are quoting them. It is pointless to compare the RS4 numbers to the R8 as although they share a similar powerplant they have completely different targets.

You seemed to miss me saying X51. You do know what X51 is don't you or do they not have that in your country either?

I have seen 0-160 numbers in the 9's and in the 10's for the carrera S. The 997 GT3 is doing 0-160 km/h in the 8's. So if you are content with 9.8 0-100 in your country that is fine, but on the planet I live on cars are putting up significantly better numbers.

The car isn't about straightline power only obviously so don't get confused and think that is my main concern. I simply don't think 9.8 0-100 mph or 0-160 km/h cuts it and keeps the car competitive for any sort of serious time in the modern marketplace.

The 911 turbo pricing comment is fine, that is great. Yes the 997 turbo is more expensive. I was not referring to the pricing but what I was referring to was that I expect performance compareable to the 996 turbo considering the power and weight and considering that vehicle launched over a half decade ago. The point wasn't price but to make it clear that superior performance was available a long time ago at a similar price point at a similar power to weight ratio. If it can't even match the old turbo that does not bode well.

Once again, I will re-evaluate the numbers when we get some actual test numbers. Audi is sandbagging as they should.

The looks are all subjective and its beautiful inside and out, we all know that. The performance SHOULD go with the looks if Audi really wants to be taken seriously so that V8 better have some tweaks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

and an sub 10sec car is good enough for me:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

if your compere autocar test results of the gallardo doing 0-100 in 9

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

so if these are real road test results and the figures you have got kreso are official audi numbers im getting excited becuse i do know audi are very concervative with there figures

·
Registered
782 Posts

also results of ferrari 430 are 0-100 in9.3
That's what I mean, I don't see the problem.

The R8 performance is fine.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

incase anybody wanted to know autocar tested it on 21.6.05

·
Registered
782 Posts

It seems that logic does not exist in your country.

This is a dedicated sports car. This is not a sports sedan, and the RS4 numbers aren't that impressive so I don't see why you are quoting them. It is pointless to compare the RS4 numbers to the R8 as although they share a similar powerplant they have completely different targets.
You made the comparison. You said you didn't understand why the R8 wasn't that much faster than the RS4. I gave you some figures that tells you that it is. I never said the cars belongs to the same group.

You seemed to miss me saying X51. You do know what X51 is don't you or do they not have that in your country either?
I saw you mentioned it, and yes it's not available here, and if it was available it would have had a very ernourmous pricetag. Put a chip in the R8 with a full system from Milltek and you'll have your extra horses in your R8 aswell, maybe less extreme but it will be more than enough.

I have seen 0-160 numbers in the 9's and in the 10's for the carrera S. The 997 GT3 is doing 0-160 km/h in the 8's. So if you are content with 9.8 0-100 in your country that is fine, but on the planet I live on cars are putting up significantly better numbers.
My friend has a GT3, when I look out of the window I can look at it. And hey what do I see? A complete stripped car, raw, light and without any technical help. Fine, but here the pricetage is also a lot higher here and it's a complete different car. Why do you mention it?

And your reaction of your 0 - 160 Carrera S figures are spot on! They are better than the given official factory times. There are also better RS4 times than the factory times. Maybe the R8 will do that aswell. The R8's who are driving around right now have not much miles on the counter. You, as the expert, does know that a car gets faster when you drive it well for over 6000 miles. To my knowledge there isn't an R8 yet with those miles and there are no verified 0 - 160 not factory times yet.

The car isn't about straightline power only obviously so don't get confused and think that is my main concern. I simply don't think 9.8 0-100 mph or 0-160 km/h cuts it and keeps the car competitive for any sort of serious time in the modern marketplace.
It still is faster then the Carrera S with the same price. And if it turns out not to be the difference will be very small. And you'll have to wait for the X51 package of Audi -> The V10!

The 911 turbo pricing comment is fine, that is great. Yes the 997 turbo is more expensive. I was not referring to the pricing but what I was referring to was that I expect performance compareable to the 996 turbo considering the power and weight and considering that vehicle launched over a half decade ago. The point wasn't price but to make it clear that superior performance was available a long time ago at a similar price point at a similar power to weight ratio. If it can't even match the old turbo that does not bode well.
So you want Porsche 996 Turbo performance in an NA car? And for free too, duh.

Turbo cars are in no way comparable with NA cars. And Audi did a really good job with this V8.

Once again, I will re-evaluate the numbers when we get some actual test numbers. Audi is sandbagging as they should.

The looks are all subjective and its beautiful inside and out, we all know that. The performance SHOULD go with the looks if Audi really wants to be taken seriously so that V8 better have some tweaks.
Or wait for your X51 Audi package the V10. For me, and a lot of others, and also the press, the R8 V8 is fast enough and very competative. And it's so much nicer to see to, more complete etc.

Still, for me, you had really to much beer. Stick with a lemon soda next time.

·
Registered
77 Posts

also results of ferrari 430 are 0-100 in9.3
The F430 dyno's to the wheels what the R8 puts out at the crank, they aren't even close.

A 9.3 0-100 is quite far off as every US mag has a time in either the 8's or high 7's which is blazing quick.

·
Registered
77 Posts

You made the comparison. You said you didn't understand why the R8 wasn't that much faster than the RS4. I gave you some figures that tells you that it is. I never said the cars belongs to the same group.

I saw you mentioned it, and yes it's not available here, and if it was available it would have had a very ernourmous pricetag. Put a chip in the R8 with a full system from Milltek and you'll have your extra horses in your R8 aswell, maybe less extreme but it will be more than enough.

My friend has a GT3, when I look out of the window I can look at it. And hey what do I see? A complete stripped car, raw, light and without any technical help. Fine, but here the pricetage is also a lot higher here and it's a complete different car. Why do you mention it?

And your reaction of your 0 - 160 Carrera S figures are spot on! They are better than the given official factory times. There are also better RS4 times than the factory times. Maybe the R8 will do that aswell. The R8's who are driving around right now have not much miles on the counter. You, as the expert, does know that a car gets faster when you drive it well for over 6000 miles. To my knowledge there isn't an R8 yet with those miles and there are no verified 0 - 160 not factory times yet.

It still is faster then the Carrera S with the same price. And if it turns out not to be the difference will be very small. And you'll have to wait for the X51 package of Audi -> The V10!

So you want Porsche 996 Turbo performance in an NA car? And for free too, duh.

Turbo cars are in no way comparable with NA cars. And Audi did a really good job with this V8.

Or wait for your X51 Audi package the V10. For me, and a lot of others, and also the press, the R8 V8 is fast enough and very competative. And it's so much nicer to see to, more complete etc.

Still, for me, you had really to much beer. Stick with a lemon soda next time.
The comparison I made was that with weight shed and tweaks to the motor it should be able to put up better numbers and I think it will when it is tested.

I think most people will agree 9.8 is a conservative figure and I can't be the only would who would be dissapointed if that was the actual figure.

The turbo vs. NA motor is irrelevant. So you think modern NA technology can't compete with turbo technology from 7 years ago? BMW doesn't have a problem for some reason making heavy sedans hustle very quickly. Then again, BMW does have a history of far more impressive NA motors than Audi. They also give the low torque high rev motors 7 gears allowing short gearing. Just because a car is NA doesn't mean it has to be inferior to forced induction in a straight line the only given is that the aftermarket won't be able to get big gains as easy. 7 speed DSG in the R8 would have been very nice.

I am not sure which GT3 your friend has but the modern 997 which will be the closest 911 in the r8's price range has all the creature comforts you would expect. The RS version is a different story but also a different price. With PASM you adjust your suspension and NAV and full leather are available. It definitely is a more aggressive vehicle that is not as comfortable overall but it can be argued it is more useable daily due to much more additional space.

I don't want to bring aftermarket into this as I am sure with some tweaks the R8 will be very quick. However, if the aftermarket for the NA Audi motors is to be factored in it is very weak and I would not hold my breath. It will never be as healthy as Porsche's aftermarket, period.

Once again, we will wait and see, classify me as one of the people that wants the R8 to overachieve so I don't have to feel like I need the V10 and can be content with my V8.

·
Registered
647 Posts

Sticky,

Where did you get those numbers for F430? From USA magazines? Ok...

Here are reliable numbers from German AMS(BTW, German AMS and specially Sport Auto are only serious magazines for sportcar enthusiast here in Europe. Togehter with UKs EVO!):

Porsche 997 Carrera S
0-100km/h: 4.7s
0-160km/h:10.6s
0-200km/h:16.5s
Weight: 1469kg

Porsche 997 Carrera S(X51 381hp)
0-100km/h: 4.4s
0-200km/h:15.0s
Weight: 1478kg

Porsche 997 GT3
0-100km/h: 4.3s
0-160km/h: 9.1s
0-200km/h:13.8s
Weight: 1450kg

Porsche 997 turbo(manual)
0-100km/h: 3.7s
0-160km/h: 8.0s
0-200km/h:12.3s
0-250km/h:20.7s
0-300km/h:40.7s
Weight:1583kg

BMW M6
0-100km/h: 4.2s
0-160km/h: 8.7s
0-200km/h:13.0s
Weight: 1763kg

You see the point? R8 will be between 997 Carrera S(X51) and 997 GT3. I can bet on it!

You think that R8 is too slow? Well, you can buy Vette Z06 and save enourmous amout of money if straight line speed is all you want IMHO.

·
Registered
647 Posts

BTW, DSG gearbox.... Did you see any of them in NA high reving(more then 8000rpm) sportscars? NO? Because this type of gearbox can not cope with high revs! This DSG(or S-Tronic or PDK) simpy do not work very well with true high reving NA engines.
New Porsche 997GT2 will be MANUAL only! PDK will be an option only for Boxster, Cayman and Carrera models. NOT for 997 turbo, GT2, GT3 or GT3RS.
Even with 7gears DSG is closer to true automatic in feel then any sequential system a la R-Tronic, e-gear, F1 or SMGIII.

BTW, I already know that even V10 version of R8(5.2L V10 520hp) will be with R-Tronic or manual options. NO S-Tronic...

·
Registered
782 Posts

Sticky,

Where did you get those numbers for F430? From USA magazines? Ok...

Here are reliable numbers from German AMS(BTW, German AMS and specially Sport Auto are only serious magazines for sportcar enthusiast here in Europe. Togehter with UKs EVO!):
Do you have the Gallardo and F430 figures too? I do have all the EVO's, but they are at home :)

Porsche 997 Carrera S
0-100km/h: 4.7s
0-160km/h:10.6s
0-200km/h:16.5s
Weight: 1469kg
Looking to the figures only, Sticky that 997 is pathetic slow :)

Porsche 997 Carrera S(X51 381hp)
0-100km/h: 4.4s
0-200km/h:15.0s
Weight: 1478kg
Sticky, even the X51, you want so bad is still pathetic slow :)

Porsche 997 GT3
0-100km/h: 4.3s
0-160km/h: 9.1s
0-200km/h:13.8s
Weight: 1450kg
The GT3, finally quicker than that lousy 9.8. :D

BMW M6
0-100km/h: 4.2s
0-160km/h: 8.7s
0-200km/h:13.0s
Weight: 1763kg
In straight line, yes fast with 500bhp V10 on board. Take it out to the circuit, less intresting. de R8 is faster on the track.

You see the point? R8 will be between 997 Carrera S(X51) and 997 GT3. I can bet on it!

You think that R8 is too slow? Well, you can buy Vette Z06 and save enourmous amout of money if straight line speed is all you want IMHO.
Yeah a Vette, nice for the straight line, but don't steer in it :p

·
Registered
647 Posts

I will post Gallardo and F430 acceleration numbers from AMS later(read afternoon!).

But, I have track times by Sport Auto on Hockenheim!

Here we go:

Porsche 997 Carrera S(PASM)
1.15,6min

Porsche 997 Carrera S(-20mm/LSD, PCCB)
1.14,3min

Porsche 997 Carrera S(X51,-20mm/LSD,PCCB)
1.13,7min(that's excellent time IMHO!)

Porsche 997 GT3(Michelin Cup's,PCCB)
1.11,7min

Porsche 997 turbo(manual, LSD,PCCB)
1.13,7min

Porsche 997 turbo(manual,LSD,PCCB, Michelin Cup's)
1.11,9min(another excellent time since car weight is 1585kg!)

BMW M6(Pirelli Corsa's)
1.14,4min

Lamborghini Gallardo(Pirelli Corsa's,Sport setup)
1.11,8min

Ferrari F430F1(Pirelli Corsa's)
1.12,8min

Audi RS4(SS+. Ceramics, Pirelli Corsa's)
1.15,4min(fastest 4door saloon!)

BMW M5
1.16,5min

IMHO only truly excellent ones are 997 turbo-that one is a true monster and Gallardo. 997 Carrera S(X51) maybe, but only 10% of 997 Carrera buyers choose -20mm/LSD option...

Why do you think I have an 997 turbo(manual, LSD, PCCB) on order together with R8?

R8 time? We will see...

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.