Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy an R8 and I am at the research stages of the purchase. I did have one question I wasn't really quite clear on. It seems the R8 Plus has a different ECU tune, slightly different gearing, and a spoiler. Everything else seems to be identical, so if all that extra horsepower is generated from the ECU why can't the ECU of a non Plus just be flashed with the Plus, or just replace the module? Please enlighten me. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
It can be flashed but will no longer be factory original specification so your warranty will likely be void for any engine / drivetrain related failures. Plenty of threads here on remapping a base V10 to V10+ horsepower.

The suspensions can be different as well, this depends on model year and geomarket. For example magnetic ride was not an option on the earlier Plus's sold in North America - they came standard with stiffer passive shocks. The Plus also has ceramic brakes as standard. And a few cosmetic differences, again depends on region, like buckets seats, interior carbon, carbon blades etc. Download a brochure for your region for the full picture

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You'll lose warranty regardless for one.

Two, there's additional changes beyond what you mentioned:

carbon ceramic brakes
carbon mirrors
carbon diffuser front and rear
Different steering wheel (both the shift paddles are larger on Plus and Plus has exhaust button)

Otherwise yes the other differences:
ECU calibration
Transmission gearing
Fixed spoiler

2017 Plus also does not have magnetic ride whereas base does.

You can tune the base all day but the gearing is so short it's significantly different in how it behaves. 7th gear in V10 Plus is shorter than even 6th gear on the base.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Yes, different tune and different gearing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really? The paddle shifters are different? Can anyone post pics of these?

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Really? The paddle shifters are different? Can anyone post pics of these?
I didn't notice / know that until Nosferatu pointed it out. Checked the brochure and indeed the 4-sat steering wheel has longer paddles!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts