Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
What about your women. Do you like them second hand too? ;)

As far as in a year, if conventional wisdom is right, they have no choice buy to be around 100K or right below. Right now, if you do a search, you will find that the average price for a 2008 R8 with sub-10,000 miles is about $110,000.

So if you ad 20,000-30,000 more miles and an extra year, of course the price has to go much more down.

PS-Lets not forget the V10. As more R8s are on the market, the faster the price will drop. More supply for the demand!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Get your R8 and enjoy it to its fullest. Who cares what it will be worth in x years.

My 2 cents tell me about 60-70K. As Ruanulaw mentioned: more R8s will enter the market.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ive always wondered about ebay cars...would that be the best place to buy an R8? i dont mind if its used and has a few miles on it...

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
PS-Lets not forget the V10. As more R8s are on the market, the faster the price will drop. More supply for the demand!
do we know that the build rate of R8's, overall, is staying the same or increasing with the advent of the v10?

the serial number of my car, mid-500's, with a start date of July 6 would suggest that so far in the 2010 model year, the build rate is about the long quoted figure of 25-30/day, 20 days/mo

of course, they've been doing that for 2+ years now, so the number does build up!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ive always wondered about ebay cars...would that be the best place to buy an R8? i dont mind if its used and has a few miles on it...
Best place? Maybe, maybe not. I've bought cars that were listed on eBay but the transaction didn't occur through eBay. But, eBay prices are pretty indicative of market value so if cars are selling for a particular price, you can expect like cars at similar prices in the same geographic area.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think the real question that people need to ask is "should one want to buy a supercar with 30,000-40,000 miles on it and 3-4 years old? "

The reason that question needs to be asked is because how much maintnance these cars need, and how expensive those fees can be.

And another reason is that you don't know how that supercar has been broken in. So now u buy a $90,000 car and the previous owner has beat it up. Guess what? CONGRATULATIONS! Enjoy the headaches to come.

Or am I overreacting?

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
The reason that question needs to be asked is because how much maintnance these cars need, and how expensive those fees can be.

And another reason is that you don't know how that supercar has been broken in. So now u buy a $90,000 car and the previous owner has beat it up. Guess what? CONGRATULATIONS! Enjoy the headaches to come.

Or am I overreacting?
No, you are not over reacting. Unless you absolutely have to have a new car built to your specifications, a low miles, CPO car with a warranty is the way to go. I have purchased CPO BMWs, Porsches & Audis and always buy/sell with a transferable factory warranty. The R8s on eBay from "Joe's Speed Shop/Luxury Imports" should be avoided at all cost. R8s are not showing up in the Audi USA Pre-Owned search yet but your local sales person has full access to the full CPO database and may be able to find them. The CPO car will cost more but the inspection and extended warranty to 100K miles is well worth the difference in $$. Maintenance is "regular Audi" but repairs are going to be very expensive for this car when out of warranty.

That said, they are great cars!:)

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
E-bay is a very good economic indicator, along with the Wallstreet Journal !:)

·
Registered
87 Posts
The best buys are V8s with lots of options. They sell at about the same price as base cars do. I saw my car on EBAY, called the dealer, and bought the car off EBAY. The car has every possible option on it and sold for about what I THINK I would have to have paid for a lesser equipped car. V10s are so new there is no real discounting going on.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i've been salivating about buying a low mileage used version of this car since it came out, but since i wouldn't drive it more than about 3k miles per year i'm scared about the depreciation issue. theres an 09 with few options and 1.3k miles on sale in my area (ny metro) for about 120k. i'm thinking i should wait until the v10's start arriving and take my chances

·
Registered
761 Posts
i've been salivating about buying a low mileage used version of this car since it came out, but since i wouldn't drive it more than about 3k miles per year i'm scared about the depreciation issue. theres an 09 with few options and 1.3k miles on sale in my area (ny metro) for about 120k. i'm thinking i should wait until the v10's start arriving and take my chances
Since you're in the North East region, I'd say R8s price will drop a little more after New Year's Eve: I was told sport cars' prices fluctuate more in cold regions that hot (true?) and 2010 V8 models will arrive along with the new V10s.

All my 2 Canadian cents.

ps: is it R-Tronic or manual? options?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does anyone else feel that 30K+ miles isn't really that much? I know on a Ferrari, that is considered high but an R8 uses a somewhat standard Audi V8. And German cars are generally very stout and last hundreds of thousands of miles if taken care of.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Does anyone else feel that 30K+ miles isn't really that much? I know on a Ferrari, that is considered high but an R8 uses a somewhat standard Audi V8. And German cars are generally very stout and last hundreds of thousands of miles if taken care of.
I would expect the service life of the R8 will be more like an Audi sedan than a v8 Ferrari. BUT, inevitable repairs and higher mileage service (even the vaunted low maintenance timing CHAIN will eventually need service) will be EXPENSIVE in an R8 due to the engine location.

It looks like, from what we've seen on this forum, that, just like it's conceptual cousin the Boxster/Cayman, any kind of semi-major engine service will involve removing the rear of the car and backing the engine out of it's bed.

Remember this is close to a std. v8 from a B7 RS4 (I know, different oiling!) and in keeping with std. engine design, the valve timing system as well as key subsidiary systems (water pump,power steering, ac compressor, alternator, etc.) are driven off THE FRONT of the engine. And the front of the engine is near inaccessible without pulling the engine out the back.

(I'm sure some things, like the alternator, are accessible thru the belly pan, they'd have to be! Comments from experience yet?)

Look for a post on here with pictures about what it took to replace (thankfully on warranty!) someone's ac compressor that went south early on. That made a big impression on R8 owners! Did NOT look like an inexpensive job:rolleyes:

So, the benefit of a fairly long service life BMO (before major overhaul) on the price depreciation of used R8's will to some extent be neutralized by the anticipation of probably steep costs for routine service and common repairs as the miles pile up.

But, looking on the bright side, not nearly as bad as v8 Ferraris that need a new timing belt @ $10-12k every year, or whatever ridiculous interval it is. THAT is job insurance for Ferrari mechanics for sure!

·
Registered
773 Posts
the R8 is the cheapest 'supercar' to own and maintain in its class.

16,000 miles on mine in 18 months - £300 service the only cost so far, oh and a 5l tub of oil. New set of rear tyres due before xmas.

·
Registered
482 Posts
also have to account for market sales / availability. I would suspect that the R8 is not immune from the global recession as many are available without preorder.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Have noticed here in Oz that pre owned R8 4.2's prices are remaining very strong and on the up overall.

What's happening out there in the big wide world.

Side Note....still waiting to see what the first pre owned V10 lists for.

·
Registered
31 Posts
In the past six months according to Manheim (largest auctioneer of cars in the world) there have been 6 transactions of 08 R8 and they ranged from $88,100 too $99,500 for cars with between 2,500 miles and 19,000 miles. For 2009 R8 there was also 6 tranactions and the range was from $95,500 to $124,000 for cars with between 2,900 miles and 12,600 miles. Realize that this is a dealer only auction and essentially wholesale, so you could expect to add $10k dealer markup to these prices which sounds about right...

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Don't forget that R 8 Race accessories are continuing to RISE in cost. This has to account for SOMETHING. 25 G for some Aero enhancements is nothing to sneese at. (wings,spoilers,diffusers, etc.)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts