Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Obviously many of us are now specifying ... ordering ... and parting with more money to secure our position on the waiting list ... and I'm sure there will be many questions that others ordering R8s ... but these are the questions I've asked and the responses that I've had ...

Parking systems ... What kinds are available?
For now just the standard acoustic sensors ... Acoustic Parking System Advanced (with rear camera) will become available at a later date*.

De-badging ... What can be removed?
R8s can be ordered with "The model and capacity designation" not being applied to the rear of the car. This must be specified in writing on the configuration form.

Black details ... Can the four rings be finished in black instead of silver?
Not currently a planned option, although it will be fed back to future Product Planning Meetings.

Seats ... What seats will be in the R8?
Seat design is shown in the interior section for the R8 on the UK website ... click here. The standard sports seats offer outstanding lateral support and include electric lumbar support. These seats are also available with full electric adjustment.
Bucket seats are planned through Audi Exclusive*.

Storage and luggage ... Will a storage pack and luggage option be available?
The optional storage pack will include; a folding storage compartment under the driver and passenger seats (manual seats only), nets on the back of the driver and passenger seats and a luggage net on the rear shelf*. Expected to cost in the region of £190.
The R8 luggage will be available through Audi Exclusive* and will contain four bags to fit perfectly in the storage compartment at the front of the R8 ... under the bonnet.

Gear knob ... Are there any details of the optional leather gearknob?
There is no suitable image available at present, however, current information is that the leather will cover the top of the gear knob and will be in the same material as the seats.

Exclusive paint ... When will the option of Audi Exclusive paint be available?
There is no confirmation when Audi Exclusive paint will be available, but it will likely be the same as all other Audi Exclusive* options.

R-Tronic ... Is there any way of a test drive in a car with R-Tronic and what information is available on it?
Investigations are underway for events where Audi customers might be able to drive vehicles with R-Tronic, but no opportunity exists at present where a customer can test drive a vehicle prior to specifying it.
R-Tronic is a development of the E-Gear system with the main differences as below:
The R tronic is a natural further development of the e-gear system. The electronic control unit calculates the gear change 5 times more quickly. In addition to the enhanced performance, the main improvement has been in the quality. The number of components has been reduced by the using proven S-cam technology. Superfluous hydraulic pipes have been saved by combining the gearshift actuator with the hydraulic control unit. This improves the quality in the long term. It is one more step in the direction of higher shifting speeds and significantly more convenient gearshifting.

Factory visit/collection ... Will it be possible to collect the R8 from the factory to drive it back to the UK?
Audi are looking to develop a collection option for customers. This will be a prestige two to three day event enabling customers to visit the factory in Neckersulm, collect their R8 and drive it back to the UK.

*Audi Exclusive and other options ... i.e. those questions to which the stock response along the lines of ... it will be available when the Audi Exclusive options for the R8 are available ... essentially means the following:
Customers will have an opportunity to amend their specification based upon new options that will be released in 2007/8 subject to the production schedule of the order. More details of this process will be communicated at a later date. Audi Exclusive options fall within this general statement.

In other words ... if it's not available yet, you might be able to get it on your car if it is available when your order and specification are confirmed prior to your car being built and the options being able to be added to, amended on, your specification, you might well be able to add it to your car ... at teh appropriate cost obviously ... roll on ceramic brakes being available by May 2007 ... :D

***** Additional information - 19 Dec 2006 *****
Seats
Electric seats add 9kg to the car's weight. Memory seats are not planed, but this will be fed back to Audi AG.

Sideblades
Option of matching paint for sideblades is planned, but with an unconfirmed date of when it will be available. As soon as this option is available for the UK it will be communicated. As customers get the opportunity to confirm orders prior to build, if this option has been released by this date they will be able to order it.
Audi does not currently have plans to allow customers to buy additional sideblades so they can be accessorised, i.e. have customised artwork applied for a second pair of sideblades.

Engine bay LEDs
This is linked to the 'coming home' feature. i.e. if you have this turned on, the engine bay will light up when you unlock the car and stay illuminated till you get in and shut the door, or when you leave the car and lock it, the engnie bay wuill light up for the duration of the 'coming home' light setting.
The duration that the 'coming home' light remain on can apparently be changed via the DIS (drivers information system).

Alcantara trim ... updated on 20/12/2006
Can this be specified with the extended leather option and if so, what does the Alcantara cover?
Yes, the aeras covered will be the door trim inserts and seat centre sections.
Confirmed with dealer today (20/12/2006) ... Alcantara trim option for seats and door trim inserts is not possible if extended leather option is chosen! Extended leather option means door trim inserts and the seat centre sections will be leather.

And finally:
I've asked for clarification on the final item, Alcantara trim, but I don't expect an answer back before Thursday as my main dealer contact is away today so won't be able to ask his contact at Audi UK until Wednesday.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Paul,
I am with you on this. Here is my info(source is my friend who is regional director of sales for Audi/Southeast Europe):

De-badging? Already available-code 2Z0

Parking Sensors with camera? Do not go for them, normal one are more then enough IMHO. Camera ones? Autumn 2007...

Storage and luggage. Storage Pack-code QE1, Luggage set-as you said but, it will be EXPENSIVE.

Black Details? NO. There are no plans yet for this...

Gear Knob leather? A must with manual IMHO. Code-6Q2
This is no upcharge option!

Exclusive paint? Yes, but only from Mid 2007. Also from mid 2007 there will be additional option for Side Blades in exterior color(ex. Phantom Black with Phantom Black Side Blades).

R-Tronic? Very tricky one... My Audi friend told me that most(around 80%) of all current R8 orders are R-Tronic(world-wide). But, WE HAVE TO TRY R-Tronic before ordering it IMHO. If it is similar in feel and style to e-gear my advice is to skeep it... Yes, manual is purist choice(and most purist drivers are apparently from UK!). R-Tronic is also pretty expensive option(the only more expensive one will be Ceramic Brakes-when available) so, potential buyer MUST be pretty sure in his/hers final decision.
I have the time till end of January to decide-manual or R-Tronic? I am for manual at the moment...

Exclusive leather trims? YES. From mid 2007 as well. But, very, very pricey...

BTW, I have all current EU option codes for R8. So, if you need to know some codes just ask...

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Regarding R-Tronic, here is pretty interesting opinion:

http://forums.audiworld.com/r8/msgs/2707.phtml

It almost mirrors my opinion about F1 or e-gear...
I've pretty much decided on the Manual option ... I'm trying to get a test drive in the R-Tronic before by R8 enters the build process ... but I don't think it's likely to happen ... and I'm not likely to specify the R-Tronic unless I can get a test drive in a car fitted with it ... so it looks like it'll be a manual for me ... although I'm trying to set up a test drive in an E-Gear Gallardo ... as this seems to be the closest I'm going to get to driving an R-Tronic transmission car before my R8 gets built ... if I like the E-Gear I'll probably change to the R-Tronic as I suspect it will be an improvement in performance, reliability and drivability.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've added some additional information to the bottom of my initial post in this thread ... hopefully it will be useful for someone.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Paul here are my questions:-

What is the basic Dash material, Monoposto, Engine bay?

What are the pedals like if you do not specify Stainless Steel?

What is the cloth like for the basic headliner? (never been a great fan of Alcantara)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Paul here are my questions:-

What is the cloth like for the basic headliner? (never been a great fan of Alcantara)
all of the paint and trim finishes are in your dealer's case
i've asked my dealer if i can have it and put it on ebay;) and split it 50/50

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The silver R8 book in the customer pack specifies the following ... "Dashboard, padded with black instrument panel cover" ... not sure what the material is, but I suspect it will be much the same as most other basic Audi dash coverings ... a trip to a showroom ... or a look at any Audi with basic dash ... could answer this one.
The silver R8 book in the customer pack specifies the following ... "Pedals and foot rest, aluminium finish" ... makes me think that will mean something similar to the standard RS4 pedals.
The silver R8 book in the customer pack specifies the following ... "Headlining, knitted fabric, black or grey" ... probably much like any other Audi with material headlining as opposed to Alcantara ... or other model specific options.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
all of the paint and trim finishes are in your dealer's case
i've asked my dealer if i can have it and put it on ebay;) and split it 50/50
lol ... nice one ... :p

·
Registered
190 Posts
Fantasic work as always Paul. I will see what info i get from the dealer today and if it is aditional (doubt it) i will relay on this post. About the addional sode blades, you will of course be able to get them, they will be needed if anyone does damage their R8, the panels would start to be collected soon after production for spares. then it would be a case of part number and order. Im hoping they come in a raw aluminum state.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fantasic work as always Paul. I will see what info i get from the dealer today and if it is aditional (doubt it) i will relay on this post. About the addional sode blades, you will of course be able to get them, they will be needed if anyone does damage their R8, the panels would start to be collected soon after production for spares. then it would be a case of part number and order. Im hoping they come in a raw aluminum state.
Thanks TTej ... I'm sure sideblades will be available to buy once part numbers are known ... maybe I didn't explain things too well in my earlier post.

Let me try again ... Audi have no plans to offer a sideblade change over service ... i.e. if you do get a spare pair and get some artwork applied, you'll have to change them yourself, as Audi have no plans to offer a service to swap them over.

However, I suspect if you brought a spare pair ... got them all painted up ... then went to your preferred dealer ... they'd likely be prepared to give you a price to change them over ... well, maybe they would, maybe they wouldn't ... who knows.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've updated the Alcantara trim information at the bottom of my initial post in this thread.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Paul,
I am glad that my info was correct one regarding Alcantara with extended leather.

BTW, I also spoke today with my Audi friend regarding side blades in exterior color. My original idea was to order Daytona Grey but, I do not like that light Quartz Grey side blades. Carbon Sigma side blades look, well, IMHO strange...
So, I ask for side blades in Daytona Grey. Since Audi already is producing Brilliant Red R8s with Brilliant Red side blades as standard my guess that it could be possible to get them in exterior color. And it will be but, not for first production run(your car, my car, etc.)! That is the reason that my final decision is Mugello Blue with Night Blue side blades.

Also my friend requested Venetia Violett perleffekt(code Z4Z4) and this will also be done but, production(now, read this!) October 2007... His car will be with Carbon Sigma side blades...

Here are the pic of leather gear knob:

http://www.fourtitude.com/gallery/g...o Show=Photos&pic=018.jpg&start=&dispsize=600

...and standard alu gear knob:

http://www.fourtitude.com/gallery/g...o Show=Photos&pic=109.jpg&start=&dispsize=600

BTW, very, very good gallery at Fourtitude.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Few pics as well:

-first, Optional Ceramic Brakes(Spring 2007)

-second, Audi Exclusive Leather Package 1 in Lotos White with Piano Black trim

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like the leather gearknob myself ... they are both a little different from most Audi gearknobs (to the best of my knowledge) ... but the one with leather round it gets my vote ... the best thing about it ... it's a no cost option ... ;)

·
Registered
190 Posts
I like the leather gearknob myself ... they are both a little different from most Audi gearknobs (to the best of my knowledge) ... but the one with leather round it gets my vote ... the best thing about it ... it's a no cost option ... ;)

Paul would you know that if you have different colour seats does the gearknob stay in black leather or is it covered to match?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Gearlevel knob in leather is always in black leather.
When Audi releases Exclusive Leather packages for R8 there will be an option to get gearlevel knob in matched leather(example-Karmin Red leather package with Karmin Red gearknob).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts