Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the first to drive yesterday after soem magazines the supercharged V8 engine of the R8 at 560Ps and it was thrilling.. I drove it about for 150km at the Autobahn from MTM to Nunemburg and also on a curves to max out its capabilities and feel the torque (580Nm) at max...

The prototype they have made is also on a test compared with the LAmbo EDO GAllardo Superleggera tuned also at 560Ps at he AUTO BILD german magazine of July 2008 print out (already out in the market) or at www.autobildsportscars.de . You will be amazed with the performance of it..

We had a brand new RS6 of 580Ps and was struggling to keep up with us on the Autobahn.. Luckily there was minimum traffic at that time and were able to see its performance.. The great difference between our R8 and this one is felt at over 230km/h.. You can really see no hesitation between 230-315..The torque is very smooth and always present...The noise was a bit loud and not for every day use buit they have another exhaust made which they named export version that they claim to be very good for every day use and much less noisy.. I have not heard that one yet... The production engine will look a bit better as thye will hide the sensors on top of it and some hoses.. This is only a prototype...

Attached some photos for you to see...

Nick

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not yet ready of production so jkust an estimation of about 15k Euros.. They have eperate water cooling system for the compressor and intercooler ofcourse and also seperate oil cooling system on the side blade (drivers side) like the Gallardo.. Looking into more cooling ieas now for best of performance and small beauty marks on a perfect upgrade for this high cost car...

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Hi Nick, What are you referring to when you say,
Not yet ready of production so just an estimation of about 15k Euros
??

Are you talking about the MTM supercharger sold as a separate kit? MTM's K540 supercharger conversion kit for the Audi RS4 is $25,600 USD or 20,000 Euro. This is the same 4.2L engine as the R8. But I am afraid that MTM boss, Roland Mayer, will want much much more than that for the R8 version of this supercharger conversion kit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think that this kit you are referring to is a comoplete kit with brakes, suspension , aerodynamics etc... I was reffering to only the engin e modification... There are some small differences from the RS4 and S5 kit with this one...

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Nick, I hope you are right, but I am pretty sure it is for the Supercharger kit alone for 20,000 Euro. It's great hearing your opinion on the MTM supercharger's performance. Please keep giving us any more info as you find it. I do know that MTM is planning now to start selling their supercharger kit sometime in August thru OEMplus Auto Parts Plus in California. OEMplus has been sent a test supercharger, but they do not yet know what the retail price will be from MTM.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trust me they do not have hte kit for the R8R yet ready.. Only the prototype.. They are still developing things fo rethis car as it is a special car and customers will be picky fo r it. Nowone out of house can work onmit yet and is authorized yet to do so , such as the RS4.. I spoke with them all day and I know them for soem while now ... There is only 1 car out there and the rest will not be ready to start the first cars until October I believe at best... About the price, I am not the right person to speak of buit just an estimation as I heard around.. Probably you are right an d the kit will be close to the price of RS4 if not higher....

·
Registered
175 Posts
I dreamed about this last night ;-D

tempted to not bother with V10 and just Mod my V8 up

I just luv the sound of the supercharger

I heard/read somewhere the RS4 MTM Supercharged Car did not last long before the engine packed up ?

I understand there is a Warrantie with it, but still, i would prefer the car being in my garage and not MTM'S

·
Registered
172 Posts
Okay, here is the bad news for the USA. The supercharger kit prices are as follows $39,980 for the S5, $49,980 for the RS4 and no price yet for the R8. I am not mechanic but I doubt that there is a $10,000 difference between the manufacturing cost of the RS4 and S5 kits but that the price is simply driven by what MTM believes the respective owners of these vehicles will/can pay. This does not bode well for the R8 which will certainly cost more than the RS4 kit. I am on the short list of buyers (for now) so I will let you know when I hear anything new.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Well, there already is another alternative to MTM. The R8 Kompressor by "Novidem". But its price too is ridiculous at 32,500 Euro. These prices will never fly. Why price something where you will get 6 sales total, when you price it a little less and you can sell over 100, and also multiply your profits many, many times? It costs them at most about 10,000 Euro to produce such a supercharger. The retail price should be in the 17,000- 21,000 Euro range. Then everybody wins. Kinda interesting when flagrant greed turns a realistic business situation into a big loser for everyone involved. But I'm sure that these ridiculously exaggerated prices will invite some quality and realistic competition to fill the void. There is nothing unique about Novidem or MTM as to their understanding about superchargers. And if the hi valued Euro is a major problem, then I'm sure that a quality USA supercharger manufacturer like TPC Racing will step in and make an even better one for much less money.

http://www.novidem.ch/pdfs/novidem-audi-r8.pdf

·
Registered
172 Posts
Interesting, I had not seen the Novidem supercharger but I agree the price is ridculous. I think that MTM will be forced to adjust their price to make a supercharged R8 V8 a less expensive alternative to the v10. If they do not the only possible reason to buy a supercharger is if you simply cannot wait for the v10 or if you want it to race. I hope they recognize this sooner then later and adjust their prices accordingly. MTM if you are readling alone please take note.

·
Registered
347 Posts
i am cheap and will not pay eur10k for it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The price for all of these should be the same.. The different prices is either driven by MTM headquarters or locally in each country... Te warranty is 3 years on engine and trans and of course all parts of MTM.

I also believe thta thsi si too much of a modification fo rthis car, but it really felt nice driving it with such power.. Tehre si another article on a German magazine that calls this R8 R the second fastest supercar after the Veyron...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We made soem actual reading for accelaration by a stop watch....not lastest technology to do it, but you get an idea... If anyone has a sick shift and can try it, please post.

80-120km/h (4th): 4.0s
110-180km/h (4th): 6.3s
100-200km/h (5th): 10,6s
120-220km/h (6th): 14.9s
60-150km/h (3rd): 4.4s

I will also post some oin speeds over 230-300 with 6th gear.. There you will see soem great differences especially..
I have an r-tronic so it is difficult to simulate on mine, since it is always kicking down a gear when i try to do it..
Most of the tests above are below the torque kicks in so the car is struggling to pick up in he beggining.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts