Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...8.04min!!!(standard suspension, Ceramic Brakes, bucket seats, Corsa tires)

Just as a reference:

RS4 8.09min(SS+, Ceramics, Corsa's)
Aston V8 Vantaage 8.03min(Corsa's)
Porsche 997CS 8.05min(PCCBs, -20mm/LSD, Michelin Pilot2 N1)
Ferrari F430F1 7.55min(Ceramics, Corsa's)
Porsche 997 Turbo 7.54min(manual, LSD, PCCBs, Michelin Cup's)
Corvette Z06 7.49min
Porsche 997 GT3 7.48min(PCCBs, Michelin Cup's)

I am very dissapointed...

Thank God that I have 997 Turbo on order...

·
Registered
149 Posts
...8.04min!!!(standard suspension, Ceramic Brakes, bucket seats, Corsa tires)

Just as a reference:

RS4 8.09min(SS+, Ceramics, Corsa's)
Aston V8 Vantaage 8.03min(Corsa's)
Porsche 997CS 8.05min(PCCBs, -20mm/LSD, Michelin Pilot2 N1)
Ferrari F430F1 7.55min(Ceramics, Corsa's)
Porsche 997 Turbo(manual, LSD, PCCBs, Michelin Cup's)
Corvette Z06 7.49min
Porsche 997 GT3 7.48min(PCCBs, Michelin Cup's)

I am very dissapointed...

Thank God that I have 997 Turbo on order...

Hi Kreso - any chance you can scan and post the article? Thanks John

·
Registered
564 Posts
but again.. i dont know how reliable this test was.. ;)

or in other words, i dont want to believe it :D

in EVO they said, it splitted ENZO and Koenigseggs track time.. and now.. not even in the 7.xxs?? how come???

i am dissapointed too

here you can check the vidoe of the whole lap: (its not the timed one though)
http://www.sportauto-online.de/multimedia/videos/

but it seems r8 has lost lots of time on top end.. obviously
cause check the other video with the handling test.. really looks good

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
but again.. i dont know how reliable this test was.. ;)

or in other words, i dont want to believe it :D

in EVO they said, it splitted ENZO and Koenigseggs track time.. and now.. not even in the 7.xxs?? how come???

i am dissapointed too
Scans-I will try guys during the weekend...

EVO R8 track time... I am very, very sceptical about it...;) It is way too optimistic IMHO..
Just remember on all German tracks(Hockenheim, Nordschleife and Oschersleben) R8 was slower then 997TT, F430 and Gallardo... So, maybe German journalists knows to drive better:confused:

Or you need more km's to get friendly with 997TT... About 10000km's or so...

Let me put it this way-for average driver R8 is confidence booster(very driver friendly car) and 997TT is drivers attention booster(needs all your attention to drive it really fast).
BUT, when you become friendy with your 997TT... R8 do not have any chance what so ever... Be it on the autobahn, twisties or traffic lights...

·
Registered
564 Posts
Scans-I will try guys during the weekend...

EVO R8 track time... I am very, very sceptical about it...;) It is way too optimistic IMHO..
Just remember on all German tracks(Hockenheim, Nordschleife and Oschersleben) R8 was slower then 997TT, F430 and Gallardo... So, maybe German journalists knows to drive better:confused:

Or you need more km's to get friendly with 997TT... About 10000km's or so...

Let me put it this way-for average driver R8 is confidence booster(very driver friendly car) and 997TT is drivers attention booster(needs all your attention to drive it really fast).
BUT, when you become friendy with your 997TT... R8 do not have any chance what so ever... Be it on the autobahn, twisties or traffic lights...
u forgot the "imho" at the end :D:D

·
Registered
718 Posts
Kreso,

Do you have an Italian blood ??

My friend, you are falling in-and-out-of-love with the R8 every week, depending on different reviews !!!

I know you have driven it several times, but give it a chance. Wait until you actually get your car.

Drive it.
Live with it.

Then make your mind up based on a informed view, and not a second-hand view from, a magazine.

A friend has both a Gallardo and a F430 and I have driven them (on the road, not track). Hated the F430. Did not like the gearbox, and found it too noisy on anything but a short drive. BUT, its fast on the track. So what. Useless as an everyday car (IMHO).

The Gallardo is only fun if its driven hard, and you can't do that in London traffic !

Track times do not tell you how easy it is (or isn't) to live with the car, how useable it is as an everyday car, or how much fun it is (or isn't) to drive.

This you will find out when you get your R8......................

·
Registered
782 Posts
Tracktimes don't tell you everything. What about tracktemperature, airtemperature, driver, car (run in well or not).

On a warm/hot day a car can have 10% less bhp than in winter. Tyres get overheated quicker than in an average temperature (eg 15 degrees celsius). How humid is the air etc.

Maybe the picked a bad day for testing on the ring. Who knows.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Kreso,

Do you have an Italian blood ??

My friend, you are falling in-and-out-of-love with the R8 every week, depending on different reviews !!!

I know you have driven it several times, but give it a chance. Wait until you actually get your car.

Drive it.
Live with it.

Then make your mind up based on a informed view, and not a second-hand view from, a magazine.

A friend has both a Gallardo and a F430 and I have driven them (on the road, not track). Hated the F430. Did not like the gearbox, and found it too noisy on anything but a short drive. BUT, its fast on the track. So what. Useless as an everyday car (IMHO).

The Gallardo is only fun if its driven hard, and you can't do that in London traffic !

Track times do not tell you how easy it is (or isn't) to live with the car, how useable it is as an everyday car, or how much fun it is (or isn't) to drive.

This you will find out when you get your R8......................
well its always depending on what you are looking for.. he might not be looking for an everyday driver.. maybe besides the R8 and 997T he has a nice litte S8? :D

I still think R8 rules in his own kind of way... every day, and driving dynamics wise... and sort of created a whole new league or level...

I already love it and I know it will not dissapoint me.. :cool:

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually guys you get it all wrong.
I am little bit dissapointed with R8 Ring time but, I still love the car and very much love the way it drives.
My plan to keep both R8 and 997 Turbo.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That the 997 turbo is quicker on such a circuit doesn't surprise - much more power, no heavier (and £20,000 more expensive in the UK).
The tricky question is why the R8 is no faster than the RS4 & AMV8, given the R8's handling balance & power-to-weight advantage.

·
Registered
564 Posts
That the 997 turbo is quicker on such a circuit doesn't surprise - much more power, no heavier (and £20,000 more expensive in the UK).
The tricky question is why the R8 is no faster than the RS4 & AMV8, given the R8's handling balance & power-to-weight advantage.
very good question... anyone?? ...
I think the driver did not do what was possible as he was just too afraid of crashing such a unique and low volume car.. :D

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hey Guys, I think we need to consider a few things:

1. Do you really think the R8 V8 will be quicker than the 911TT around Nurburgring? No, don't think so.

2. Do you really think the R8 V8 will be quicker than the F430 around Nurburgring? No, don't think so.

So, no surprises there.

BUT

1. Do you really think the R8 V8 will be quicker than the RS4 or Vantage around Nurburgring? Yes, it deffinately should be.

Therefore, I offer you some points to consider. When comparing cars, products, or even toilet tissue. You need to have a controlled test procedure. The test procedure elimiates all variables, so that the only variable that exists is the Product that is being tested.

Hence, in order to TRULY and OBJECTIVELY compare the R8, 911TT, F430, Vantage, Gallardo and RS4. You will need the following:

- Same Tyres
- Same Track Temp
- Same Amount of Fuel
- Same Driver
- Same Air Temp
- Same Fuel Type
- Correct Tyre Pressures

Clearly, this wasn't the case in the example provided. Therefore, I say, don't stress. Everyone knows you can lose 2-5 secs at Nurburgring just by having your tyre pressures wrong.

Do you really think Audi produced the R8 so it couldn't beat the RS4 around the ring OR so it couldn't break the 8min barrier? I don't think so.

You can read as many magazine tests as you like, but each needs to be taken with a grain of salt. None of the tests are truly scientific. Some final points to consider:

- The 911TT will always be a little quicker BUT you will do it with more Grace and with MORE people watching!! :)

- The F430 will always be a little quicker BUT you will smile when it comes to servicing and daily comfort.

Also, it's strange, the test did not choose Magnetic Ride. I know it weighs about 20kgs more, BUT, seriously, IMO Magnetic Ride would have delivered much better results over the standard suspension. Remember, it's adaptive.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Therefore, I offer you some points to consider. When comparing cars, products, or even toilet tissue. You need to have a controlled test procedure. The test procedure elimiates all variables, so that the only variable that exists is the Product that is being tested.
Hence, in order to TRULY and OBJECTIVELY compare the R8, 911TT, F430, Vantage, Gallardo and RS4. You will need the following:

- Same Tyres
- Same Track Temp
- Same Amount of Fuel
- Same Driver
- Same Air Temp
- Same Fuel Type
- Correct Tyre Pressures

Clearly, this wasn't the case in the example provided. Therefore, I say, don't stress. Everyone knows you can lose 2-5 secs at Nurburgring just by having your tyre pressures wrong.

Do you really think Audi produced the R8 so it couldn't beat the RS4 around the ring OR so it couldn't break the 8min barrier? I don't think so.

You can read as many magazine tests as you like, but each needs to be taken with a grain of salt. None of the tests are truly scientific. Some final points to consider:

- The 911TT will always be a little quicker BUT you will do it with more Grace and with MORE people watching!! :)

- The F430 will always be a little quicker BUT you will smile when it comes to servicing and daily comfort.

Also, it's strange, the test did not choose Magnetic Ride. I know it weighs about 20kgs more, BUT, seriously, IMO Magnetic Ride would have delivered much better results over the standard suspension. Remember, it's adaptive.

nicley put down - one more point to concider.. none of the test laps is same as the other.. so even IF the driver is the same... I dont think his laps are identically perfect each time.. so some secs even there...

so in conclusion.. I would say:

wheather/air/tracktemp 3sec
tires pressure 2secs
driver/lap 2sec
magna ride 2sec

so you see, even underpowered it would make a phenomnal 7.55!! :D

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Guys, I think we need to consider a few things:

1. Do you really think the R8 V8 will be quicker than the 911TT around Nurburgring? No, don't think so.

2. Do you really think the R8 V8 will be quicker than the F430 around Nurburgring? No, don't think so.

So, no surprises there.

BUT

1. Do you really think the R8 V8 will be quicker than the RS4 or Vantage around Nurburgring? Yes, it deffinately should be.

- Same Tyres
- Same Track Temp
- Same Amount of Fuel
- Same Driver
- Same Air Temp
- Same Fuel Type
- Correct Tyre Pressures

Sorry but, you said far too many incorrect things...

First, it is very clear that you do not read German Sport Auto and simply do not have a clue what their Supertest is...

Second, all cars in Supertest is driven by Horst von Saurma and all results are legit as possible. Few examples-Porsche factory time for 997 Turbo in W.Rohrl hands is 7.42min-von Saurma achieved 7.54min, Audi factory time for R8 is 7.55min in Tom Kristenssen hands-von Saurma achieved 8.04min... Amoung European sportscar enthusiasts Sport Auto is the most respected magazine. Chris here knows german so, he could tell you as well who well respected is their Supertest, specially amoung car manufactures.

Third, R8 was personally delivered to Sport Auto by Stephan Reil(chief of R8 project). Sport Auto requested the fastest version and Audi delivered R8 with standard suspension, Ceramic Brakes, Bucket seats and manual gearbox. If Stephan Reil belives that this is the fastest version you are clearly wrong about Magnetic Ride(BTW, R8 with Magnetic Ride is 2s slower on the Ring then the one with standard suspension-both in Tom Kristenssen hands).

Fourth, RS4 achieved 8.09min in von Saurma hands. So, R8 is 5s faster. You apparently did not read Ring results by Sport Auto that I posted in this thread...

Fifth, AM V8 time(8.03min) is achieved with Corsa tires(same typ was used on RS4 and R8) but, also with little bit of help provided by Aston factory crew. After first try(8.12min BTW) they asked Sport Auto to changed tires and some minor suspension adjustments...;)

Sixth, Audi is very, very pleased with results in Sport Auto Supertest!

And you are forgetting few things-R8 is faster on both Hockenheim and Nordschleife then 997 Carrera S, 997 Carrera S4 and M6. It is also 2s faster on Hockenheim then AM V8 Vantage. And according to reliable rumor R8 is 10s faster then new M3 e92 around Ring! It is normal that 997 Turbo, 997 GT3/GT3RS, Gallardo, F430 and Corvette Z06 are faster. Some have lower weight and special track oriented suspension, others have way more power...

One last thing-I like R8 a lot. IMHO it is the most drivers friendly sportscar currently on the market. It looks excellent, sound is awsome.
But, on the autobahn for example it simply do not have any chance at all against 997 Turbo. I was personally shocked how much faster 997 Turbo is from 180km/h till 260km/h...

On the other hand R8 is pure pleasure to drive, 997 Turbo is despite awsome acceleration NOT.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Sorry but, you said far too many incorrect things...

First, it is very clear that you do not read German Sport Auto and simply do not have a clue what their Supertest is...

Second, all cars in Supertest is driven by Horst von Saurma and all results are legit as possible. Few examples-Porsche factory time for 997 Turbo in W.Rohrl hands is 7.42min-von Saurma achieved 7.54min, Audi factory time for R8 is 7.55min in Tom Kristenssen hands-von Saurma achieved 8.04min... Amoung European sportscar enthusiasts Sport Auto is the most respected magazine. Chris here knows german so, he could tell you as well who well respected is their Supertest, specially amoung car manufactures.

Third, R8 was personally delivered to Sport Auto by Stephan Reil(chief of R8 project). Sport Auto requested the fastest version and Audi delivered R8 with standard suspension, Ceramic Brakes, Bucket seats and manual gearbox. If Stephan Reil belives that this is the fastest version you are clearly wrong about Magnetic Ride(BTW, R8 with Magnetic Ride is 2s slower on the Ring then the one with standard suspension-both in Tom Kristenssen hands).

Fourth, RS4 achieved 8.09min in von Saurma hands. So, R8 is 5s faster. You apparently did not read Ring results by Sport Auto that I posted in this thread...

Fifth, AM V8 time(8.03min) is achieved with Corsa tires(same typ was used on RS4 and R8) but, also with little bit of help provided by Aston factory crew. After first try(8.12min BTW) they asked Sport Auto to changed tires and some minor suspension adjustments...;)
Kreso, no I don't read Sport Auto and I'm not doubting that Sports Auto is an authoritive magazine, all I am saying is it's test procedures aren't 100% Scientific. In fact, non of the magazines are.

It's clear because there is soo much variance between them all. You've even demonstated this by quoting the difference between factory ring times and von Saurma ring times. Big difference. Therefore, this shows that the are a lot of factors at play when making a comparison. This is all I was trying to point out.

Yes, I agree the 911TT, F430 and Gallardo will be faster. Totally agree.

re: Magnetic Ride, if what you are saying is correct, it's a waste of time, development and money.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts